Madshus Glittertind BOOTS! Initial review - NNN-BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
biocandy

Re: Madshus Glittertind BOOTS! Initial review - NNN-BC

Post by biocandy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:27 pm

That exact thing happen with my brand new glittertind boots.. After only 3 hours skiing. Did some running up the hills, but hey, I sturdy bc boot should hold up for that right? Got a new pair on warrenty and these are still kicking around :-) Would I trust them on an expedition, maybe not.. really like them though.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Re: Madshus Glittertind NNN-BC update: more bad news.

Post by The GCW » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:54 pm

Update,
Yesterday, My left front boot is starting to delaminate. Noticed it after getting back from being out. Recall, this happened to My 1st pair with a photo on page 2 of this thread. So this is the 2nd pair, delaminating.

This time, 115 miles, using them 20 times in 4 1/2 weeks.

I like the boot, except for their durability. A refund is available, but as bgregoire indicated they can be glued by a cobbler. That may be the route I'll go.

Today I used My old boots which have no support, so, I got out on Lake Dillon and that was excellent. These NNNBC soles are all the same, so Madshus is apparently using inferior glue. Correct?

Is the cobbler going to make them stronger? Should I then have the right boot pulled apart and RE-GLUED.?

I'M open to finding / shopping for a different boot, but that's opening up questions, time, availability and it's the end of the season.

zadeck

Post by zadeck » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:07 pm

I have had a pair of these boots for about three years. From a performance perspective I think they are great. I can turn much tighter on downhill parts than with any other boots I have ever tried. My complaint is that I think that the quality of materials is poor.

I ski for about 15 to 25 days a year and i have had the boots for about 3 years. I am a 4 to 8 mile per trip kind of person.
In that time that I have had the boots, 2 of the lace straps have failed and today the rivet on the ratchet strap failed. The lacing can be ignored, it is one on each side and it can be bypassed and the rivet is easy to repair. But this is a lot to go wrong for a person who is not an extreme skier.

If these boots were well made, I would be singing their praises all day, but they are not.

Ken

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 am

Update on My 3rd pair after the first 2 pairs had a problem with the sole delaminating. This pair is holding up better but the bungee cord for tightening up the cuff broke free on it's 2nd usage, like what happened on pair 2. Those could use a grommet to hold them in place. I've used this pair 32 times now.

The store I purchased them from indicated they have seen other issues including zippers etc and now Madshus is no longer going to produce that boot.

I like these, which is why I got a 3rd pair. After the 2nd pair went bad, I used My old floppy boots and that was terrible.