Asnes Nansen Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:03 pm

A pity not many people seem to have experience with both. It's basically like if I were to explain why apples are better than oranges without ever having tasted oranges.

This spring I could ski Nansens with BC bindings fine down red slopes at the resort (Vassfjellet, Trondheim) when the snow was very icy. It was not amazingly easy but it worked fine. I was able to keep up with friends on alpine gear (though they were not very good skiers). I fell a couple of times due to edging errors where the outer edge of the inner ski would get traction unexpectedly in a turn but I guess my technique is still bad. In other words, Nansens provided me, an average XCD skiier, with appropriate tools to ski down in difficult conditions and have fun.
When the snow is chopped up and wet and heavy it becomes more difficult however.
The same day another friend was on older ingstads (black ones) with cable bindings and was going much better than me. I would have tried his skis but I didn't have the right kind of boot and his were two sizes smaller than mine.
On tours I have seen 70 year olds ski 25km with 800 m elevation gain on Nansens at amazing pace. I have also seen E99 skiers negotiate incredibly dodgy runs between rocks by hop turning the skis on a dime.
Ultimately I think technique can make a much larger difference than the difference between Gamme and Nansen or Nansen and Ingstads.
In case you haven't seen it yet this thread on fjellforum has some interesting points of view as well (in Norwegian).
https://www.fjellforum.no/topic/44792-v ... -fjellski/
Unfortunately again, it seems that almost no one has used both, at least not reported on them. Perhaps these skis being adjacent in a line up, could make owning both almost redundant. With the same technique and fitness level you can probably achieve comparable results with these skis. One model will be a bit better on the flats whereas the other will be a bit better downhill. I think this is true for almost all skis which are adjacent in the lineup.
Reading Bob's post again, this is sort of what he said.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Hey Roelant thanks so much for that link to the fjellforum thread. I'd searched fjellforum but didn't find that one... really useful and reassuringly nerdy.

It seems the consensus there is the same as what you and fisheater've just said.

I've really got the 'good on flats' niche filled, so I'm wondering if I'm denying myself a pleasure. But there's obviously a lot of crossover here. I've seen people really genuinely fly on Nansens, and everyone seems to have a pair up here.

Anyway thanks so much for taking the time to tap that out Roelant, really useful.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:55 pm

@Musk Ox If everyone has a pair of Nansens where you are, do you see Norwegians making nice turns? Do you see guys in the 190 lb range moving along the flats at speed.
I think if they came in a 210 I already would have made the order!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:08 pm

My skog (which should be the same ski) is great. but I got them too long for steep terrain ... the k&g is obviously not as good as my MT51, but they do better when the trail is kibble n bits and has some sloping angle. They are also great on steep corn and mash in the late spring, early summer. I can also pturn and jump turn on good hard packed trails with gentle slopes.

(I'm 140-145lbs, 5ft8in. I have the Cecile Skog 185cm).

I will probably get a short 170cm Line Sverdrup this season for steep winter descents.

My 172cm FT62 is only good when the snow is perfect powder. I fly down on NNN BC as fast or faster than my seasoned alpine skiiers. I can make it down on heavier snow but usually need to do some kick turns or make slow/careful step turns.

havent tried the Gamme.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:56 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:55 pm
@Musk Ox If everyone has a pair of Nansens where you are, do you see Norwegians making nice turns? Do you see guys in the 190 lb range moving along the flats at speed.
I think if they came in a 210 I already would have made the order!
You certainly do see Norwegians make nice turns on Nansens @fisheater absolutely yes, and it was one of the reasons I specifically wanted to get a pair. I do remember specifically this guy of about 70 on a pair of old (pre-Nansen's face) Nansens who stopped to talk when we were putting skins on or arguing about wax and flew off round this long-ish loop we were doing. He left the most beautiful arcs in the snow you can imagine.

I think, think, that Ingstads may be more popular precisely where we are. You do see a lot of them on the shorter/ three hour little excursions with steep bits. But there's not much in it. I'm really happy with mine for what I want to do, and have the Gammes if I'm going to go a long way. I'm definitely eyeing the Ingstads for some of the same shorter tours with steep downhill bits I did last season though.