Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by bgregoire » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm

lilcliffy wrote: A key piece in it are the EzeeFit ankle booties that arrived this week:
https://www.ezeefitsports.com/
(BTW- these miraculous things have also solved my ankle torture in the Svartisen BC boot)
A miracle. Wow. That is something!
lilcliffy wrote:When I took them off and removed the insole to dry them out, I- for the first frackin time- noticed the number and letter stamped on the tongue for the first time:

8L:
20190305_131058.jpg

Did I buy the wide or "Large" as in "L" version of a size 8UK?
M=Medium
W=Wide

L is a mystery to me in UK sizing! The only place I have seen it (on boots) is for lady sizes (L) in the US sizing scheme.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm

It seems that I am the only one on this forum without a pair of those boots... Before I do buy them I just want to be sure that they are way stiffer than Alaskas. I kind of think that the Alaskas will be too soft for my new Raab that I will use for tour and turn. But I don't want to commit for either the T-4 or the Excursion as I already have a used pair of T-2 that I could use if I ever go to a resort (I might not have any money left to pay for the resort after buying the Raab for me and the FT62 for my wife :lol: ).

From what I read on this thread I am quite sure that the Ski March is more boots than the Alaskas but I just want a confirmation from Ttalk gods...

Thank's!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Man Martin,

You really got hit with a bad case of upgraditis. Usually, when you get your significant one involved, you are in deep deep trouble.

If you want a stiff sole, you cannot go wrong with the Alico Ski March (make sure you get the proper UK size).

There are several advantages to the T4/Excursion though and with a little patience, you will find a cheap used pair for sale locally.

Then again, are you sure you rather not have NNN-BC on those beasts? :lol:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

Martin, if you’re a 41 Euro I might have a pair for sale. I can’t get them to fit my narrow foot.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm
It seems that I am the only one on this forum without a pair of those boots... Before I do buy them I just want to be sure that they are way stiffer than Alaskas. I kind of think that the Alaskas will be too soft for my new Raab that I will use for tour and turn. But I don't want to commit for either the T-4 or the Excursion as I already have a used pair of T-2 that I could use if I ever go to a resort (I might not have any money left to pay for the resort after buying the Raab for me and the FT62 for my wife :lol: ).

From what I read on this thread I am quite sure that the Ski March is more boots than the Alaskas but I just want a confirmation from Ttalk gods...

Thank's!
I do not have the Alaskas, so I can't answer to your actual question, but as an owner of Rabb 68's, Alico Ski Marches and Scott Excursions, I wanted to share some thoughts:
First of all, the Alicos are quite stiff. The sole is not that far off of the stiffness of the Excursion, but of course the ankle has more freedom of movement. The ankle movement make them much more suitable for XC than the Excursion, but they are sturdy enough to get the Rabb on the edge even on hardpack.
In my opinion, it is more fun to ski downhill with the Alicos when the conditions are decent enough. They make me to really concentrate on the weight distribution and balance, which can be sometimes frustrating, but often very rewarding feeling. The Excursions are also good boots, and are more manageable in difficult conditions, but the feeling is a bit different.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Verskis wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Thank's!
I do not have the Alaskas, so I can't answer to your actual question, but as an owner of Rabb 68's, Alico Ski Marches and Scott Excursions, I wanted to share some thoughts:
First of all, the Alicos are quite stiff. The sole is not that far off of the stiffness of the Excursion, but of course the ankle has more freedom of movement. The ankle movement make them much more suitable for XC than the Excursion, but they are sturdy enough to get the Rabb on the edge even on hardpack.
In my opinion, it is more fun to ski downhill with the Alicos when the conditions are decent enough. They make me to really concentrate on the weight distribution and balance, which can be sometimes frustrating, but often very rewarding feeling. The Excursions are also good boots, and are more manageable in difficult conditions, but the feeling is a bit different.
Verskis is totally right here. I will contribute by stating the the Alaksa definitely has a much softer sole thand the Alico Ski March but with more ankle support. If you are looking for both a stiff sole AND good ankle support, I would go for an Excursion or if you really need leather, something like a Asolo Extreme with a not too beat up sole. IMO, Excursion/T4 is still the safer bet though.

But don't worry, you can still have lots of fun with the Rabbs with your Alaskas. You can try them with the T2s to-. Then decide if you really need an intermediate boot and if it should be leather or plastic...

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am
Martin, if you’re a 41 Euro I might have a pair for sale. I can’t get them to fit my narrow foot.
Thank's for the offer but I would have to stretch my foot quite a bit... my Alaskas are 47 ;)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:12 pm

I have a Ski March and an Alaska. They is no comparison in stiffness. However the Alaska is also much lighter and more comfy than the Ski March. Although my Ski March cannot match my T4 for stiffness, I believe it is much closer to the T4 than Otis to the Alaska.
I am in complete agreement with what Verski said about his Excursion and Ski March, other than I would change it to the Ski March and a T4 which I own.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:10 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Verskis is totally right here. I will contribute by stating the the Alaksa definitely has a much softer sole thand the Alico Ski March but with more ankle support. If you are looking for both a stiff sole AND good ankle support, I would go for an Excursion or if you really need leather, something like a Asolo Extreme with a not too beat up sole. IMO, Excursion/T4 is still the safer bet though.

But don't worry, you can still have lots of fun with the Rabbs with your Alaskas. You can try them with the T2s to-. Then decide if you really need an intermediate boot and if it should be leather or plastic...
Thank you Benjamin for sharing your wisdom once again with me ;) . You just saved me at least a 100$ for now... Why not trying my Alaskas first with the Raabs and I already have a pair of T-2 :roll: How many pair of boots someone really needs... I am not saying wants... but needs!!!

That is a serious question... how do you guys make the difference between what you really need and what you really want??? I know that I need some snow but for the rest it is almost all "wants"... what do you think :?:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

Nitram
Interesting question, however for me the one boot I must have would be a stiff soled,Norwegian welt, three pin boot. It’s very important that you note I said for me. If I skied like Johnny skies, then I could get by on my Alaska.
I really like my Alaska, they are a great boot. I guess I might do a side by side comparison between the boots as I have USGI mounted both NNN and 75 mm.
Back to your question, the boot I couldn’t do without is my Ski March. Yes it is heavy for straight trail skiing. Yes, I have torqued the sole skiing chopped up crud at the resort. However it is the boot I would go to first for backcountry tours for turns skiing. If it is backcountry powder, Ski March would be my choice. If I was concerned about crust or wet snow, I would go T4. For my vertically challenged Michigan resort my first choice is Ski March and FT 62, however if I am skiing on refrozen base with tilled refrozen I will be skiing T-4 and an alpine ski. The same would apply to crud.
I really would not want to go without the Alaska. It is a much more enjoyable boot to trail ski with, and trail skiing is my 10 minutes down the road skiing. I also believe I can get even more out of the Alaska. I am impressed with what I can get out of the Alaska. For now, when I get 6”-8” or more, it’s the Ski March boot that I’m grabbing. I think that defines my thoughts on boots.
Your mileage may vary!