Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Post by fisheater » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:09 am

Nitram, my perspective is from a guy that has worn work boots almost every day for the last 40 plus years, and I like my Ski March boots.
The Alaska is high, with a lot of ankle support. However I don’t feel the boot restricts my movements. The sole is also pretty stiff, but flexes easily for me. I don’t have any issues, and ski fast on my Gamme. I’m not a great cross country skier, I came to this from Alpine skiing, and only have had Alpine ski training, but I have complete confidence in my Gamme/Alaska combo. It is great for being out all day, and skiing lots of miles. It is also very comfy. The boot fits as though it was custom made for my foot. A little extra ankle support isn’t really a bad thing!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:11 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 pm
Just a quick comment on my Alaska... both soles are cracked just behind the holes. I used for 2 winter only but most likely over a 100 days... I called the store to get the info for a possible warranty and he first asked me if I used them for telemark... he told me those boots are not designed to do telemark turn on a regular basis...

1- PROPER TECHNIQUE. If your ball of foot is flat on the ski when you turn, there is absolutely NO STRESS AT ALL on the duckbills. If all the front part of the sole is pressed on the ski, i.e. the proper technique, then the duckbills are not affected by any wear, stress or tension and they will last forever, no matter how thin they are or where you ski.

But what most people do is the opposite. Clamping down the duckbills as tight as possible in the binding, and totally relying on the fragile and tiny duckbill itself for stirring, driving, turning and controlling the ski. Totally wrong. Sometimes even adding cables to add even more stress on it. Then the poor people complain to the stores and try to put the blame on manufacturers, product quality and warranties.

Even more wrong: putting the blame on the boots, these people go for sturdier ones with thicker duckbills instead of learning the proper technique and addressing the very source of their problem.

2. Duckbills are retarded. They are an obsolete invention created over 100 years ago. Seriously, would you expect to do something with a 100 year-old computer? Would you expect to go far with a 100yo car? Would you expect not to crack skiing with a 100yo human body?

What is the way to ski 100yo wooden skis in order not to break them? Proper technique and finesse.
What is the way to ski leather boots and duckbills in order not to break them? Proper technique and finesse.

Alpina Alaska 75s are awesome.
Alpina Alaska BCs are awesome.
Alpina Alaska NTN-BCs would be even more awesome.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:11 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Just a quick comment on my Alaska... both soles are cracked just behind the holes. I used for 2 winter only but most likely over a 100 days... I called the store to get the info for a possible warranty and he first asked me if I used them for telemark... he told me those boots are not designed to do telemark turn on a regular basis...

1- PROPER TECHNIQUE. If your ball of foot is flat on the ski when you turn, there is absolutely NO STRESS AT ALL on the duckbills. If all the front part of the sole is pressed on the ski, i.e. the proper technique, then the duckbills are not affected by any wear, stress or tension and they will last forever, no matter how thin they are or where you ski.

But what most people do is the opposite. Clamping down the duckbills as tight as possible in the binding, and totally relying on the fragile and tiny duckbill itself for stirring, driving, turning and controlling the ski. Totally wrong. Sometimes even adding cables to add even more stress on it. Then the poor people complain to the stores and try to put the blame on manufacturers, product quality and warranties.

Even more wrong: putting the blame on the boots, these people go for sturdier ones with thicker duckbills instead of learning the proper technique and addressing the very source of their problem.

2. Duckbills are retarded. They are an obsolete invention created over 100 years ago. Seriously, would you expect to do something with a 100 year-old computer? Would you expect to go far with a 100yo car? Would you expect not to crack skiing with a 100yo human body?

What is the way to ski 100yo wooden skis in order not to break them? Proper technique and finesse.
What is the way to ski leather boots and duckbills in order not to break them? Proper technique and finesse.

Alpina Alaska 75s are awesome.
Alpina Alaska BCs are awesome.
Alpina Alaska NTN-BCs would be even more awesome.
Just to clarify, I am not blaming the boots and I am not complaining to the boots manufacturer... i just got the info on the warranty and I got an answer that I shared. Of course the answer does not apply to everyone but for most of us yes.! I really do love those boots and I got a lot of ski days with them. But we all know now that most things are not meant to last long and I probably ski more in a winter than a lot of people in their whole life so yes it is taxing on the boots as I almost only use them... I don’t have a quiver of boots...

PROPER TECHNIQUE is something I sure don’t possess ;) I have been XC skiing for over 40 years and learned everything on the spot (I have only been trying telemark turn on a regular basis for the last 2 winter..). I know my XC technique is not too bad but my telemark technique is off the mark for sure and I am not surprised that you wrote it can be hard on the boots. It’s the same with any tools, and the human body being one... Whenever I work in the fields with my crew I try to teach them technique so that the hard work of farming does not take too much of a toll on their body which is actually their main tool. So I should find a job at a ski resort and have my boss teaching me telemark technique ;)

And in the end, it does not mean I am not going to buy those boots again and hopefully my technique will be better by then :D

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Johnny wrote:
I would not bother with a 100 year old computer but I would take a nice picture of furniture from the 50-60s anyday over most any of the contemporary crap you buy new these days.

Comparing duckbilled boots to computers is like comparing apples to flamingos. I know you can do better!

There is always room for improvement in the ski technique department, that is for sure!

As an aside, my partner's Alaskas tore and cracked after 600km of flattish nordic skiing, no tele. Granted that was in 2014 but I doubt the boot was significantly improved upon since. It remains nonethless an excellent boot for era and price IMO.

Take care friend!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Johnny wrote:
[Would you expect not to crack skiing with a 100yo human body?

Johnny, I hope if I’m still breathing at 100 years, I’m still able to slide on snow. And when I’m 100 years old, I hope we’re worried about global cooling!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Just a quick comment on my Alaska... both soles are cracked just behind the holes. I used for 2 winter only but most likely over a 100 days... I called the store to get the info for a possible warranty and he first asked me if I used them for telemark... he told me those boots are not designed to do telemark turn on a regular basis... Maybe we can disagree but I sure did a lot of turns with those boots... He also told me that they are not gonna sell the Rossi 75 mm anymore as there is simply too many warranty claim.
Just a quick follow up on my journey with those boots. So I brought the boots back to the store just in time to be covered by the 2 years warranty. My problem was not common as most return are due to soles “unglueing” (is that a word???). So Alpina gave me a new pair of boots and this time I was careful not to make too much telemark turn... anyway i now have my Andrew Zenith for that. So the new Alaska... well it took less than 3 weeks before both soles “unglued”... I hope I am simply being unlucky but my experience so far is not great. I will give them a last chance as I get a replacement again from Alpina. I hope that it will be “ third time the charm”... I really want those boots to work for me as I like them for touring around in the BC and they are warmer than the Andrew. Fingers crossed...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Martin mon ami- this is terrible news! What is wrong with these boots!!!
I still don't think that the problem is Telemark turns with these boots failing- I think it is XC skiing that they cannot handle...
I am happy we were not out in the middle of our future traverse of Greenland when that boot failed!!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Somebody need to do a study and compare how many of the Alaska boots fail in Voile vs Rotta Super Telemark. Am I the only one to notice how extra strain is applied to various spots at the front of these boots in Voiles? Everything is smoother in the STs. My partners boot also failed in the Voiles of course.check it out, I’d love your feedback.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 am

Ben, I feel like that guy which jumped down a high building (yeah, again). «So far so good» with my Alpina...

I am using them in ST 90% of the time...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Struckski
Ski style: anything from zero to about 30 degrees...
Favorite Skis: Voile
Favorite boots: I dream of something lightweight, with good ankle ROM and a bellows...

Post by Struckski » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:40 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to have their broken Alpina Alaskas repaired...? One possible resource is Rock & Resole in Boulder. They do amazing work. The vast majority of their work is resoling climbing shoes, but I'd be shocked if they couldn't repair Alaskas and make'em better than ever...

https://rockandresole.com