New Asnes WL Waxless Skis 2018-2019 Ingstad WL & Nansen WL

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
jyw5

Re: New Asnes WL Waxless Skis 2018-2019 Ingstad WL & Nansen WL

Post by jyw5 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

hope the ski season has been kind to you! So I think I went too long on my Skogs. I got the 185cm (Im 5ft8in and 135lbs). They are awesome on wide open moderate variable terrain, but impossible on steep hardpack ...maybe a shorter ski would have been more manueverable. But they are really amazing on many long gentle approaches. I can also descend fairly steep powder and make wide turns too and not faceplant too often.

So instead of getting another shorter pair, I am now considering the Ingstad WL for next season.

I would like to replace my S112 next yr which are now rock skis. I need a ski that can handle steep corn and mash (30-35 degrees max), icy refrozen late spring/summer rotten snow on moderate terrain (short sections of 25 degrees max) and windblown and suncrusted hard snow. The S112 is just ok because the higher elevations would have better snow and it would perform well especially in corn/mash but the middle elevations are often frozen nail biting descents.

Is the Ingstad up to the task? Would a short length like a 165cm do the job? I know this ski does well in deep powder because of the rocker tip but I dont need them for deep powder. I want a ski that can turn well on icy terrain....the 185cm m51 does that well on moderate terrain except I get knocked around alot on kibbles and bits because they are so light...and they are too fast!! I can easily carve and jump turn on the mt51 on a slope that rises approx 1000ft in 1.8 miles (300m in 3km) . The 185cm Skog also does well on similar terrain with more stability. I'm looking for a ski that can do the same task in 1000ft in 1 mile or less (300m in 1.5km).

I have been reading most of the comments on the Ingstad and havent been able to form any good conclusions other than that they are a well rounded ski that has better downhill performance and in powder than the Gamme 54. How do they differ from the Nansen/Skog as far as downhill and hardpack/icy conditions?

Thanks!

Its been a strange season here in AK, late season snow just dumping on us. great but creates a very short window to actually ski any powder as avy dangers are very high. ...looks like it will be a great corn/mash summer season...my trusty S112s will get some use (and abuse) for yet another year.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm

@jyw5 Hey man! Good to hear from you!

I think you need a report and perspective from someone that has rigourously downhill-skied both the Nansen/Cecile and the Ingstad.

@Woodserson Woods might be your man.

We have had some reports on this site- as well as UTE Magazine's test- that would suggest to me that the donwhill performance of the WL and BC Ingstad is quite different (with the BC being better downhill in terms of turn completion and release- especially on hardpack)...

I hope you get some good information here as I too would like to know about the Nansen vs Ingstad in terms of downhill performance. (I have never even seen a Nansen/Cecile BTW.)

You could also post this question in the Asnes Thread- over in the main forum- and you might get a helpful response from Crister, the Asnes Pro.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:40 pm

The Ingstad might not be enough for what you want... It's a lot more easier to turn than both the Nansen and the Gamme. But never as easy as the S112... If you are used to the S112 for your downhill stuff, I doubt you will like the Ingstad... Unless you get them very short...

On the downhill, especially on harder snow, the main difference between the Nansen and the Ingstad is that you will have to fight a bit with the camber on the Nansen every time you initiate a turn. No big deal, it's part of the whole XCD thing, but it's easier to handle on the Ingstad, thanks to the NR...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm

I think you need a report and perspective from someone that has rigourously downhill-skied both the Nansen/Cecile and the Ingstad.

@Woodserson Woods might be your man.

Nah, not me. I only skied these things downhill inbounds at the ski area, otherwise rolling K&G on forest roads without enough downhill to truly turn them. Also, I only skied the Ingstads 1 day, the rest of the time I was on my Nansen's or Gammes.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:12 am

Thanks for all your replies!

I am tempted to get a pair of Ingstads either WL or wax really short...like 165cm to try them out for the very specific conditions... icy moderate/steep descents and summer corn. I am also thinking about skiing Mauna Kea next yr, but my buddy told me its steep and boiler plate at the top... may need plastic boots/AT setup for that. ...I have a while to figure that one out.

The Skog 185cm is amazing for low angle terrain especially with a light dusting of snow. But I think they are too difficult to turn on steep downhill terrain. FT62 has been a blast in deep light powder...dont ever need plastic boots in those conditions...have been blazing up and down faster than most ppl on AT setups.

Woods, how did you do at the resort with the Ingstads and Nansen? what conditions were u skiing? blues,black? groomers? moguls?