New Asnes WL Waxless Skis 2018-2019 Ingstad WL & Nansen WL

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: New Asnes WL Waxless Skis 2018-2019 Ingstad WL & Nansen WL

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Buda wrote:
lilcliffy wrote: Very exciting BTW!!
Indeed!
What are you leaning towards for a binding?
Don't know. I haven't used 3pin bindings since I was a kid. I want to keep it simple. "Voile 3-pin cable telemark", "Voile 3-pin cable traverse telemark". Suggestions welcome.
What boot and binding have you been using on-piste with the Glittertind?
Salomon X-Adv raid manual bindings and X-Adv 7 boots. I was very happy with that and would stay with that system had it not been discontinued.
bgregoire wrote: a classic nordic bc touring ski that you can use and depend on to go far and that actually turns very well too.
That's my dream ski right there!
Buddha boy,

Are these going to be a dedicated resort ski as you alluded to above? Cause if that is the case those scales are going to be a pain. Scales are fine for the bc. The Voile bindings with cables you mentioned are actually the same exempt for a plastic base. It's a very versatile set up but I have found that the cable actually cause lots of pinching with leather boots like the alico teletours. It could perhaps be comfortable if the cable are slacked quite a bit, I would have to try. If the cables are not required, I would go for the rottefella super telemark. I feel iTS sligtky superior over the Voile mountaineer. It's got strap slots as back up.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Johnny wrote: After squeezing both of them again this afternoon, I would actually be very tempted to say they are the same, except for the NR on the Ingstad, which makes it feel smoother over the Nansen.
Interesting. I'm sure I'll like the Ingstad.
bgregoire wrote: Are these going to be a dedicated resort ski as you alluded to above?
No. They need to work at a resort but I intend to spend more time in the bc. I'd like to have a dedicated lite resort ski w/ light boots at some point. Falketind 62?
I would go for the rottefella super telemark
That's even simpler. I like it! Can I attach leashes on those? Or is a cable considered to serve that function? It's a requirement where I ski.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Buda wrote:
Johnny wrote: After squeezing both of them again this afternoon, I would actually be very tempted to say they are the same, except for the NR on the Ingstad, which makes it feel smoother over the Nansen.
Interesting. I'm sure I'll like the Ingstad.
bgregoire wrote: Are these going to be a dedicated resort ski as you alluded to above?
No. They need to work at a resort but I intend to spend more time in the bc. I'd like to have a dedicated lite resort ski w/ light boots at some point. Falketind 62?
s
I would go for the rottefella super telemark
That's even simpler. I like it! Can I attach leashes on those? Or is a cable considered to serve that function? It's a requirement where I ski.
If you are unsure if you want cables or not, go for the 3pincable . You can play around with or without cables on these. There is always a way to install leashes on 3pin bindings.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 pm

I'll look into these bindings and make a decision. Thank you for the help.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 am

Buda
I ski a Falketind 62 at the resort, and touring for turns when the opportunity arises. Unfortunately if I get that chance two or three times a year (touring for turns) I am most fortunate. However things in life change rapidly, I am actually waiting for my son to get ready. I may tour for some tours later today.
I ski the resort with a Falketind 62, Alico Ski March boot, and Voile 3-P cable bindings. It requires the operator to be alert in glazed hardpack, but I aim for the soft spots even when I alpine skied. It is a light touring ski, and it will get kicked around in crud.
I tried to be accurate in my review of this ski in the review section. If you are interested in the 62 or 68 you should read both reviews. I know Johnny has both of these skis (62/68), however I believe he has a few other skis as well. I do not know how much direction he can offer at this time.
Merry Christmas! (Today is only the 3rd day of Christmas, celebrate all 12 days!)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:53 am

Johnny wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:Which one do you prefer- or rather- under what conditions would you choose the Ingstad over the Nansen?
You know that I like both... 8-)
HA! Yes- I well aware that you like both! What I am wondering is why you would choose one over the other!

(If you haven't figured it out I am trying to convince myself that I need a Nansen- oh- and an Amundsen- oh- and a Kongsvold- and- and- and.....)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 pm

I personally use the Ingstad for walks in the woods... Sometimes with some climbing and turning. When no speed or efficiency is involved, when there is nice powder but not enough for downhill action with other fatter skis. Or for rolling hills fun when a very few turns are involved. I really use them as huge sliding snowshoes. I'm very slow at doing things now, the pacing of my life have been slowed down to a terribly low level that would probably scare most of you guys, and I really enjoy it: I did not mount my Nansens yet even if I have been playing with them for like 5 months... (I actually have several pairs of skis in the mounting waiting line...!) I plan to use them for faster XC action in the BC... For faster and longer tours with a few turns along the way... I have been hooked on the Mountain Race, the Peltonen Zenith and the old XCD GT for several days now...!
fisheater wrote:Merry Christmas! (Today is only the 3rd day of Christmas, celebrate all 12 days!)
According to UPS, the fourth day of Christmas should bring you more than calling birds... Enjoooy! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Sweet! I'm in the UP with Nick, Norpining. Hope to take the Green Man for a few miles before lifts open. Then tomorrow night south across the bridge to
The Mitten and more Norpining. I will try to sneak the Green Man out for another quick tour. I'm in Marquette, MI tonight, I wish I had more time here for both touring and turns. However in Marquette I don't believe the snow pack will support a lot of turns. However the terrain would be awesome just for turning. I have not been here in a while, I remember why I didn't mind the drive time.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Click here for Bem's in-depth review of the Amundsen Fram WL Waxless:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2287

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:32 am

My verdict after two seasons: The Ingstads are freaking awesome. The most amazing XCd ski on the market. If the first two letters of the word XCD are in capitals for you, the Ingstad is probably the only ski you need. And oh, I was wrong about my first impressions of the Ingstad on the groomers: They make AMAZING frontside norpine skis! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."