2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
John Dee

Re: 2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Post by John Dee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Stephen wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 pm

@John Dee, can we go back to square one and re-state what it is we are trying to resolve or clarify here?
This has been through the blender too many times.
I'm only responding to how you and lilcliffy say that a 42 is a 42 or a 46 is 46. I agree with the advice to follow's Alfa's chart, which isn't on their website right now, but is at Varuste. It didn't work for me, maybe because I fell exactly on the reccomended size. I fits ok lengthwise, but I do not have the toe room to add insoles and thick socks. And it seems like most people need to add a thicker insole and/or extra socks.

Keep in mind that I have not skied on these for more than 15 minutes. I am getting some arch pain even with new insoles, so I'm using my Fischer BCX5's.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:17 pm

John Dee wrote: I do not have the toe room to add insoles and thick socks. And it seems like most people need to add a thicker insole and/or extra socks.
I had the same problem. And I was swimming in every other dimension, so thicker socks and insoles were a necessity but impossible.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:07 pm

not to beat this topic to death but:

Most boots and shoes don't fit me. That is actually the reason why I started this sport!

The only hiking/trail running shoe that fits me is the La Sportiva TX3 and TX4.

The only AT ski boot that sort of fits is the Garmont Cosmos III but only after heat molded intuition liner and knocking out the shell at the forefoot. No other plastic ski boot fits (I'm like Cinderella's step sister trying squeeze into the glass slipper).

The only NNN BC boots that truly fits is the Alfa Quest Core 42 EU (after a 50mile break in period) with a regular Chenna Baree wool liner and thin wool socks.

The Alfa Guard 41 EU only fits using a mid weight wool sock, thickest Chenna Baree wool liner, and moleskin on both heels and required 30mile break in period.

If anyone is wondering why the Alfa Guard might have a strange fit is because your foot has to be a specific shape to fit into it. Maybe likely, you dont fit very well or not at all in all other brands and models.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:47 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:07 pm
If anyone is wondering why the Alfa Guard might have a strange fit is because your foot has to be a specific shape to fit into it. Maybe likely, you dont fit very well or not at all in all other brands and models.
Hum, that really sounds like me…

Some Altra shoes fit me very well. Very round toe box on those.
I’m still pleasantly surprised at how well the ALFA Guards fit me, but it took first finding out about low volume feet (mine) and second, extra insoles to fill up the space in the Guards.

I suspect / hypothesize that the Guard was intentionally made high volume to allow for insulative adaptations for more extreme conditions. I have suffered cold feet far too often when footwear is too tight / restrictive, cutting off blood flow. At worst, I have had only slightly cold feet in the Guards (in sub-zero F* temps and strong winds), and I often have cold feet, otherwise.

I have posted a picture of my foot more than once here. That foot, with all its toe box width happily fits in the Guards.
If they don’t work for you, there is probably something else that will.
And that something else probably wouldn’t work for me.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:29 am

fisheater wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:23 pm
If I were to buy an Alfa I would trust what Lilcliffy states above. The last on Alfa Guards has more volume than other boots, but the length is equal between Alaska, Svartisen, Rossi, and Fischer.
Really this makes perfect sense. The soles are all made by Rottefella. I’m sure Rottefella labels them with Euro designation. It makes sense that footbed length would be consistent in NNN-BC soles.
My 42 Guard and 43 BCX5 share the same outsole. My 43 OTX5's outsoles are a little shorter than both of them. The OTX5 fits me perfect, the BCX5 is long but manageable. The Guards are obviously smaller inside due to the insulation.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:18 pm

@John Dee I will admit the Alfa sizing and fit seem different. I really am a simple man. Alaska fit me quite well, and are quite durable. I hear no siren call of the Alfa Guard.
I truly do wish you luck in finding a boot that suits you.

Mikerj

Post by Mikerj » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:50 am

Alpha Gaurd and Greenland....

To add to the info on this thread.

Last season I picked up a pair of both the Gaurds and Greenlands.

Fit is different. Both are a 44 and I usually wear a 44 or 45 in others boots and shoes. With 2 heavy wool socks they feel ok. They seem to run quite big.

I've not skied the Greenland yet as it came late in the season.

I did ski the Guard a few times last season. Here's what I found. For years I've only skied 75mm 3 pin Voile Hardwires or Mountaineers so I'm likely biased. The boot I'm most use to is the Crispi Antarctic. I've been on that boot for at least 15 years and have, or had, 3 pair in total. That is a great boot if you can get a good one. (QC is a bit funky.) The Guard felt a bit loose and sloppy when controlling the ski even though it seemed like a burlier boot that the Antarctic (albeit lighter). Maybe its the NNN BC or maybe the boot's sole is soft. Or maybe its because the front of the boot and toe box is big. That is great for keeping your feet warm but the whole fore foot seemed to have a bit of slop, even with two socks and the laces cinched tight. I planned on using that boot with a lighter set up and expected a bit less control but its going to take some getting use to. I run more of a classic length, lighter, thinner ski as I have lots of KnG before I hit anything serious. I'd sooner up my skill set for the downs rather than take all the fun out of the KnG with a heavy, burly setup. My favorite do everything ski is a Asnes Admunsen. Occasionally I go shorter and wider, or longer and thinner. As for the Guard, if after the first few outings this season they don't thrill me, I'll likely put them up for sale here while they are still like new.

As a side note, I thought going with a "lighter" NNN BC setup (boot and binding) I'd ski the easy terrain with less effort. Unfortunately I didn't find that the case. First off, I'm pretty sure the NNN BC is a fair amount heavier than the Voile Mountaineer. Sure felt that way in my hand. Next, the amount of extra focus I needed to direct to controlling the ski compared to a 3 pin set up seemed like a lot. Years ago I skied NNN Bc setups but that was a long way off. Time will tell.

The Greenland. I've not skied it yet. But have worn them around the house. They seem to fit a bit snugger, which is good. And they feel like they have a stiffer sole, which is also good. We'll see what happens. If I don't dig them like my Antarctics the Greenlands will get sold. I'll likely repost after I get some time on them.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:10 pm

Make sure to take of the metal goretex emblem off of the laces if you didn't already.

People are adding socks and insoles.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:27 pm

John Dee wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:10 pm
Make sure to take of the metal goretex emblem off of the laces if you didn't already.
Why?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm

@Mikerj
Hello and WELCOME!

Your experience with NNNBC vs 3pin seems very different than mine and I wonder if it is not primarily a function of poor fit in the Guard and/or perhaps the soft soele of the Guard?

The Guard is certainly very large volume for its length- this could easily lead to a floppy, loose skiing experience.

I was just chatting with a close friend who just this today switched from Alaska 75 with 3pin to Alaska BC on the same touring ski and found a significant improvement in stability with the Alaska BC...

As far as weight- yes, the plane-jane 3pin binding platform is lighter than NNNBC manual (370g (ST) vs 472g (NNNBC Man)- but the sole of 3pin boots often makes them significantly heavier than their BC counter parts-

For example:
- Alaska 75 plus Rotte ST weighs more than Alaska BC plus NNNBC Manual

Regardless- whatever works best for you (and what doesn't) is what we want to hear all about!
Please keep in touch and share your ski story with us!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.