2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
jyw5

Re: 2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Post by jyw5 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:15 pm

I have Alfa Guard in size 41. Alfa Quest Core in size 42.

I cut a very thin insole about 2/3 of it leaving just the heel and place that inside. Then I place a Chenee Baree thick wool insole over that. I wear a medium thickness smartwool sock and it finally fits perfectly. The 41 Guard is still larger than the Quest Core in 42.

You may have to be creative to get it to work for your feet. I have a very wide last and a narrow heel. I have yet to find a plastic ski boot that fits (even after using heat moldable liners...they work for 1 day trips, but not multiday!) That's why I love leather boots...although it has its limitations as I am not a good free heel skiier.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:05 am

@@jyw5, If you go back to Page 11 in this thread, how does your foot shape compare to mine?
I was just fit with TX Pros and will be interested to see how it works out (not enough snow yet to try).
I have the feeling I may need to do some work on the toe area of the liner to get closer to the room I want for my toes.
I think the foot measure tool says I have a C/D width, and I think the width in the boot will be ok, its my toes I’m a little concerned about.

If anyone’s interested, I found a foot measurement App over on Teton Gravity Research.
Did my own feet, and it seemed accurate.
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/sho ... canner-App

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:19 am

Stephen wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:05 am
@@jyw5, If you go back to Page 11 in this thread, how does your foot shape compare to mine?
I was just fit with TX Pros and will be interested to see how it works out (not enough snow yet to try).
I have the feeling I may need to do some work on the toe area of the liner to get closer to the room I want for my toes.
I think the foot measure tool says I have a C/D width, and I think the width in the boot will be ok, its my toes I’m a little concerned about.
my feet are different. my forefoot (last) is wider. I fit boots with a 103mm+ last. also, my 2nd toes are longer than my big toes. and my heel is narrower. also, the widest part of my foot is almost straight across (perpendicular) whereas yours is slightly slanted. That's why the Alfa Quest Core fits my foot perfectly. I also suspect all the other models fit perfectly too. The Guard is slightly too wide at the heel so I have to add volume to fill it. I think the Skarvet and the Kikut would fit better...I tried those at the store about 2.5 yrs ago and took a chance on the Guard. I'm glad I got the Guard even though it isnt a perfect fit...they are stiffer and better for steeper routes. As long as there isnt too much K&G on flat terrain, I dont develop blisters. I still wear my Quest Core boots most of the season but suffer from cold toes occasionally.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:18 am

John Dee wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:09 pm
fisheater wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:02 pm
Hey Gareth, not that I’m in the market, but if I’m a 45 in my Alaska (both), I’m a 45 in an Alfa, correct?
YES- that is my limited experience- at least in terms of footbed length.
My friend has a large volume foot (size 46 in length)-
he might need to size up in a Crispi/Alpina because of boot volume (not length)-
he is fine in his size 46 Alfa (i.e. same footbed length but larger volume).
Guards run a size large (A 42 Guard is an EU43). I was questioning if people are going big to have toe room for more socks and insoles.
Well I can only speak for my Alfa Guard boots (size 42EU)- the length of the footbed is essentially the same length as all of my 42EU BC boots (Alaska/Svartisen/Rossi/Fischer)-
I have an Alaska in both 42&43EU- the Alaska 43 is longer inside than my Guard 42.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:23 am

Although my Guard 42 (and every 42 boot that I own) is a tad shorter than I would like on my longer left foot-
there is no way a size 43 Guard would work for me, because they are too-large in volume.

I can make a size 43 work in the Alaska- because it is narrower and smaller volume than the Guard.

I can't speak for your Guard BC, but there is no way that my Guard "42" is a "43"- my Guard's last is true to EU sizing.
My Guard "42" is a 42.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CoreyLayton

Post by CoreyLayton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 am

Nothing to add to the Alfa discussion, but...

My Fischer BC Grand Tour (BCX5) boots fit me perfectly for length (size 44) but were a bit "roomy" overall.
Through the forum, I learned about wool insoles.

Bought some wool felt insoles at 8mm thick,
and they are heaven. Had to ditch the Fischer insole,
as with both it was just *too* snug. But these wool insoles are going to be great!
More cushion, and probably warmer than the stock insole.

I'm never in favor of loading up your foot with multiple layers of socks.
Too much opportunity for "wrongful rubbing". :-/
Taking up the slack with a thicker insole seems like a much more viable strategy...

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 am

@CoreyLayton

Where did you get these 8mm wool insoles? I agree with you that double socking probably creates movement.

CoreyLayton

Post by CoreyLayton » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm

here you go...
reasonably-priced at $13 (USD) for two pair.
I trimmed a bit to better fit the shape of the boots, with scissors;
to prevent creasing/bunching.
Easy-peasy.

https://thefeltstore.com/collections/in ... 7536838733

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:52 pm

I have used the flat felt wool insole (referenced above by @CoreyLayton) in winter boots.
They are pretty thick and will flatten out fairly quickly.
The have no arch or heel cup support.

There are other wool insole options available, such as Sidas and Superfeet.
I just got some Sidas 3Feet wool insoles.
These are nice, in that they come in Low, Medium, and High arch (to be clear, Low, Medium, and High match the existing shape of ones arch, not the AMOUNT of arch support offered).
I have a high arch, so got the high arch version to match my arch.

Personally, I think this sort of insole is going to give better support to the foot for a day of skiing.
In the past I have also purchased Chenee Baree wool insoles from Canada, but they seem to no longer be available. (They look sort of hand made and low tech, but still seem ok after a winter of use.)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:34 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm
here you go...
reasonably-priced at $13 (USD) for two pair.
I trimmed a bit to better fit the shape of the boots, with scissors;
to prevent creasing/bunching.
Easy-peasy.

https://thefeltstore.com/collections/in ... 7536838733
Awesome Corey
Great find, thanks for sharing!