2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Re: 2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Post by corlay » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:27 pm

@Stephen
Im glad that these 8mm wool felt inserts will compress a bit with use. Once that happens, Ill stick the stock sole inserts back in, and then enjoy the same arch support and heel cup as was originally designed for this boot - but with the wool inserts below that to take up some “slop”…

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:12 pm

@Stephen Here are the posts from this thread that have led me to believe that the Guard runs large. I might also post some pictures comparing insoles.
jyw5 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 am
My sock and liner combo still doesnt quite feel right. I have the thick natural Chenna Barree wool soles coming which may work better as I prefer thinner socks. My Alfa Guard is a size 41. It feels wider than all of my other boots (which are size 42). I do have a pair of Fischer OTX 5s that are a size 41 which fit great with the stock liner (fit is great but terribly not durable)...this Alfa is way bigger in length and width than that boot.
shromatty wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am
These boots are great, excellent build quality, comfort, and warmth. I have to say though, size down. I purchased a 42 for my wife, and a 43 for myself. I am a solid 43 usually, and sometimes a 44, and i am happier in her 42s. Her feet are super wide and super flat, with a low instep, and with two pairs of thick socks and an extra insole she still got blisters in the heel.
Johnny wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 am
My 42 Alaskas are very tight, even with a thin sock. My 43 Alaskas are a bit large, even with a thick sock. Some other 42 boots are just too small for me. I had no idea about Alfa boots and didn't want to end up with a 400$ boot that I cannot use, so I went for safety and ordered the 43.

As you noticed, they do are cavernous...! The 43 Guards fit quite large even with 2 pairs of socks! I should have ordered size 42 but on the other hand, I kind of really like wearing 2 pairs of socks now, both for warmth and friction reduction. So much that I think I officially became a two-pairs-of-socks guy....
Tom M wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 am
I don't know if this will help, but I own both a set of Alfa Skarvet Advance GTX and the Alfa Greenland 75 Advance. Both are size 42. For reference, I wear a size 10 American in hiking boots, a size 43 Rossignol BCX-12, a size 43 Fischer BCX 675, and a Mondo 27.5 Scarpa T2.

The Greenland 75 and the Skarvet Advance GTX are almost identical in fit. As full grain leather boots, they do take some time to break in.
jyw5 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 am
I have a very wide last and narrow heel... requiring 104 in plastic ski boots. I took a chance on the Alfa Guard and I am happy with them. I chose size EU 41. I have their quest core in EU 42 which with a wool footbed fits like a glove with a thin pair of ski socks. The Alfa Guard with a thick wool footbed still requires me to wear a medium smartwool sock. it has a lot of room. I tried on the Skarvet in EU 41 at REI last year. It was about equivalent to my Quest Core EU 42...so my take on it is that

Guard 41 is slightly wider than Skarvet 41 which is about the same as a Quest Core 42.

I don't know how it compares with the Alaskas because they didn't have my size in stock at REI.
John_XCD wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am
I have both Alaska NNNBC and Alfa Guard.

I wear EUR 46 95% of the time (trail runners, alpina xc ski boots) and most shoes tend to fit my feet relatively well. I tried on the Alaska at REI and ended up downsizing to 45 which fits really well. A little heel lift issue early on that resolved with breaking in. I also ordered the guards in 45 this year from Varuste. They feel a touch small initially but once laced up, they have much more room in the forefoot and toe box. This felt problematic at first, but has gotten better with a little bit of break in-- I can really crank the laces down and get a decent fit up front. I have to stop and tighten them after skiing for a bit (which I also had to do when Alaskas were new). I'm getting more happy with the fit as they break in, but still thinking about an insole or at least thicker socks.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:23 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:18 am
John Dee wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:09 pm

YES- that is my limited experience- at least in terms of footbed length.
My friend has a large volume foot (size 46 in length)-
he might need to size up in a Crispi/Alpina because of boot volume (not length)-
he is fine in his size 46 Alfa (i.e. same footbed length but larger volume).
Guards run a size large (A 42 Guard is an EU43). I was questioning if people are going big to have toe room for more socks and insoles.
Well I can only speak for my Alfa Guard boots (size 42EU)- the length of the footbed is essentially the same length as all of my 42EU BC boots (Alaska/Svartisen/Rossi/Fischer)-
I have an Alaska in both 42&43EU- the Alaska 43 is longer inside than my Guard 42.
I am happy with the Alaska I own. If I were to buy an Alfa I would trust what Lilcliffy states above. The last on Alfa Guards has more volume than other boots, but the length is equal between Alaska, Svartisen, Rossi, and Fischer.
Really this makes perfect sense. The soles are all made by Rottefella. I’m sure Rottefella labels them with Euro designation. It makes sense that footbed length would be consistent in NNN-BC soles.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm

To add to this discussion- many persons with wide and/or large-volume feet need to size up to get enough width and/or volume in a boot that is too narrow and/or too small-voume for their feet in a given length.

Just because someome commonly wears a 43- but can wear a 42 Guard- does not confirm that the Guard runs a size large- it may only confirm that that person commonly must size-up in boots that are too narrrow/small-volume for their wide/large-volume foot.

REGARDLESS-

1) the Alfa Guard is large-volume (very) for its length
2) my size 42 Guard is not longer than my size 42 Alaska/Svaristen/BXC6/BCX6/Lofoten
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm
Just because someome commonly wears a 43- but can wear a 42 Guard- does not confirm that the Guard runs a size large- it may only confirm that that person commonly must size-up in boots that are too narrrow/small-coume for their wide/large-volume foot.
Another reference point is the Alfas sizing chart. You're supposed to measure your feet and then add 1.5cm to find your size. A 43 is a full 2cm larger than my bigger foot. I think that .5cm is about equal to one EU Size.

Here is the Guard insole compared with some others:

From left to right:
Brooks runners 10US? 44 EU 28cm 9UK
Muck Boots Arctic Sport 10M
Alico Ski March UK 9M
Alfa Guard Advance 42
Fischer OTX5 43
Fischer BCX5 43 (These are longer than the OTX5's).

I think that people who fall inbetween and order up may have the best luck.
Last edited by John Dee on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:14 pm

Here's something:

I suggest against coming up with sizing theories based on Rottefella sole size or foot bed length. Although close, these do not line up perfectly with recommend foot size. Each boot design is different, based on its on mold, and is a combination of a different amount of layers that need to be combined to make the boot.

I have boots from different brands using the same length rottefella outer sole but actually sold as two consecutive (different) sizes. The alaska inner sole is huge and long compared to the Asnes inner sole for a same shoe size. All these vary from maker and model.

The very best way to size a boot is to try it on.
Last edited by bgregoire on Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:43 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:14 pm
Here's something:

I suggest against coming up with sizing theories based on Rottefella sole size or foot bed length. Although close, these do not line up perfectly with recommend foot size. Each boot design is different, based on its on mold, and is a combination of a different amount of layers that need to be combined to make the boot.

I have boots from different brands using the same length rottefella outer sole but actually sold as two consecutive (different) sizes. The alaska inner sole is huge and long compared to the Asnes inner sole for a same shoe size. All these vary from maker and model.

The very best way to size a boot is to try it own.
👍😎🙏
Great to hear from you Ben!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:43 pm

John Dee wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 pm
I am confused man...
Doesn't this completely contradict your assertion that Guards run a size large?

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:43 pm
John Dee wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 pm
I am confused man...
Doesn't this completely contradict your assertion that Guards run a size large?
I'm just talking about using the chart. I wouldn't want to get a whole size up, but I think it would be nice if I fell in the middle and ordered the larger size. This would allow me to fit a thick insole or sock into the boot.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:14 pm
Here's something:
The very best way to size a boot is to try it on.
@John Dee, can we go back to square one and re-state what it is we are trying to resolve or clarify here?
This has been through the blender too many times.

My sense is that:
#1.The boots don’t fit you well;
#2. You think ALFA’s sizing labels are not consistent with conventional sizing standards.

#1 It’s your foot and you know best;
#2 May or ay not be true. In the end, it doesn’t matter what number is on the boot, all that matters is: Does it fit or not.

Again, I ordered the ALFA boots using ALFA’s sizing recommendations and got a good fit. It seems unrealistic to think EVERYONE will be as lucky as I was, which is why try before you buy is the bottom line.

If you are trying to warn others that ALFA’s sizing can not be relied on, I suppose that might be good advice, in that it would steer people toward doing research and to try before buying.

I don’t think it’s helpful to put people off on the boot, based solely on your experience. Just add your perspective to the collective wisdom for others to consider.

Also, in the picture you posted, it would be helpful to have a straight edge along the toes, for a precise visual.
And, also, insoles are not the be all end all of what the actual size of the footwear is.