Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:52 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:47 am
beeeweee wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:26 pm
I think @Musk Ox mentioned that his wife uses the 190cm so I’d be curious how much Mrs. Musk Ox weighs which puts her in an ideal range for the 190cm MR48 skin.
Oh my God, I can't ask her that.

She's around the 70kg mark, I'm going to say. I'll try and subtly get a more accurate metric (wish me luck.)
My estimate was pretty much bang on. The 190s are good for her. I think, looking at your weight, the 180s would be a reasonable choice... but the 190s would be faster. You're a good 10kg WITH gear below the recommended weight for the 190s, right?

Probably not an issue for you @beeeweee (although I do understand ski-chosing anxiety better than anyone, oh my god), but if you're on the cusp of these skis in weight without gear, I'd recommend getting the longer ones. This was my experience, anyway. I really loved my 190s! But I would have been better off with the 200s for what I wanted to do, especially with skins on the waxable bases. These skis are made for cruising and fun 'shortcuts' (heh) home off the trails rather than, say, climbing high in deeper snow. So I'd maximize the whizz by choosing the longer ones. Whizz is their raison d'être.

They're a LOT of fun coming down in good conditions, maybe a little hair-raising if the conditions aren't perfect or you ski 'comme les danois', but so nimble, tapdancing shoes. They can smash miles and miles in the right conditions. They really work as fjellski on surprisingly deep snow, albeit their true element is a few inches of fresh snow on consolidated snow. That's where they shine. I mean, maybe there are better choices for the wilds, but it's worth bearing in mind that MR48s/ Holmenkollen have been to the North and South Pole, so they're the real deal. For a combination of trails, shortcuts, tracks back to the car, these are so great.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pm

Roelant wrote:
It will be muskox sausage for dinner this easter. Start rubbing on the juniper berries.
https://www.lokalmat.no/no/produsenter/ ... -einerbaer
I was wondering where that smell of juniper was coming from.

I’m actually named for this animal largely because muskox is delicious. When we went to Greenland we had a muskox song by the end of the first evening ("I'm a muskox! Snort snort. I am woolly. Snort snort. I'm a muskox! Snort snort. Please don't eat me.") But we ended up eating as much muskox as we possibly could, because it tastes amazing. Now my wife and I have a small collection of muskox-related memorabilia and moo at each other in times of distress.

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:52 am
Musk Ox wrote:
beeeweee wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:26 pm
I think @Musk Ox mentioned that his wife uses the 190cm so I’d be curious how much Mrs. Musk Ox weighs which puts her in an ideal range for the 190cm MR48 skin.

She's around the 70kg mark, I'm going to say. I'll try and subtly get a more accurate metric (wish me luck.)
My estimate was pretty much bang on. The 190s are good for her. I think, looking at your weight, the 180s would be a reasonable choice... but the 190s would be faster.

Probably not an issue for you @beeeweee (although I do understand ski-chosing anxiety better than anyone, oh my god), but if you're on the cusp of these skis in weight without gear, I'd recommend getting the longer ones. This was my experience, anyway. I really loved my 190s! But I would have been better off with the 200s for what I wanted to do, especially with skins on the waxable bases. These skis are made for cruising and fun 'shortcuts' (heh) home off the trails rather than, say, climbing high in deeper snow. So I'd maximize the whizz by choosing the longer ones. Whizz is their raison d'être. They're a LOT of fun coming down in good conditions, maybe a little hair-raising if the conditions aren't perfect or you ski 'comme les danois', but so nimble, tapdancing shoes. They can smash miles and miles in the right conditions. They really work as fjellski on surprisingly deep snow, albeit their true element is a few inches of fresh snow on consolidated snow. That's where they shine. I mean, maybe there are better choices for the wilds, but it's worth bearing in mind that MR48s/ Holmenkollen have been to the North and South Pole, so they're the real deal. For a combination of trails, shortcuts, tracks back to the car, these are so great.
Thanks @Musk Ox! Much appreciate your input.

I think if I can get a decent kick on the 190, that would be my preference. My only worry would be that the 190 would be too stiff as I’m 10kg (22lbs) below the recommended weight range for the 190. It would be nice if I can flex a pair in person to get a sense of how they feel. Since I have to order online, 180 seems like the safer choice but I did also send an email to Asnes to get their input so hopefully they will give me some additional insight before I make a final decision.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:18 pm

beeeweee wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:15 pm
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:52 am
Musk Ox wrote:

My estimate was pretty much bang on. The 190s are good for her. I think, looking at your weight, the 180s would be a reasonable choice... but the 190s would be faster.

Probably not an issue for you @beeeweee (although I do understand ski-chosing anxiety better than anyone, oh my god), but if you're on the cusp of these skis in weight without gear, I'd recommend getting the longer ones. This was my experience, anyway. I really loved my 190s! But I would have been better off with the 200s for what I wanted to do, especially with skins on the waxable bases. These skis are made for cruising and fun 'shortcuts' (heh) home off the trails rather than, say, climbing high in deeper snow. So I'd maximize the whizz by choosing the longer ones. Whizz is their raison d'être. They're a LOT of fun coming down in good conditions, maybe a little hair-raising if the conditions aren't perfect or you ski 'comme les danois', but so nimble, tapdancing shoes. They can smash miles and miles in the right conditions. They really work as fjellski on surprisingly deep snow, albeit their true element is a few inches of fresh snow on consolidated snow. That's where they shine. I mean, maybe there are better choices for the wilds, but it's worth bearing in mind that MR48s/ Holmenkollen have been to the North and South Pole, so they're the real deal. For a combination of trails, shortcuts, tracks back to the car, these are so great.
Thanks @Musk Ox! Much appreciate your input.

I think if I can get a decent kick on the 190, that would be my preference. My only worry would be that the 190 would be too stiff as I’m 10kg (22lbs) below the recommended weight range for the 190. It would be nice if I can flex a pair in person to get a sense of how they feel. Since I have to order online, 180 seems like the safer choice but I did also send an email to Asnes to get their input so hopefully they will give me some additional insight before I make a final decision.
Hey, I just wrote this as an edit on the other post! (Cut it and posted it here as a reply in case you miss it). You totally beat me to it.

Edit: you wrote:
I wish Asnes would give a more sensible recommendation table that provide a lower recommended weight range for the 180cm MR48 Skin rather that’s just say anyone under 70kg. For example, if they said 60-70kg instead, that would imply the stiffness is relatively proportional to other ski lengths.
It's a reasonable point, especially for skis that come in increments of 10cm like these. The thing is, as many here can attest, sizing up is often a rational choice: it's all about compromise.

I can't say if that 10kg under the recommended size will impact your ability to squash these skis adequately on steeper hills, making for frustrating climbs. But if your terrain is gentler, a) that might not be a problem and b) that's what uncut 45mm skins are for!

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to cruise on them on the flats. The Åsnes customer team* is really good and should be able to give you more accurate advice.

*A single person who would rather be skiing but is very nice

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:18 pm
It's a reasonable point, especially for skis that come in increments of 10cm like these. The thing is, as many here can attest, sizing up is often a rational choice: it's all about compromise.

I can't say if that 10kg under the recommended size will impact your ability to squash these skis adequately on steeper hills, making for frustrating climbs. But if your terrain is gentler, a) that might not be a problem and b) that's what uncut 45mm skins are for!

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to cruise on them on the flats. The Åsnes customer team* is really good and should be able to give you more accurate advice.

You make a good point about the X-skins. I was thinking about that but I was considering the 35mm Mohair skins instead. I think between the X-skins + the ability to shift the bindings forwards and backwards on the fly with the Rottefella MOVE bindings, the 190cm should work fine for me.

Thanks for the heads up about Asnes support. I’ll wait a few days to hear from the Asnes support person and finalize my decision then.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:43 pm

beeeweee wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Musk Ox wrote:

You make a good point about the X-skins. I was thinking about that but I was considering the 35mm Mohair skins instead. I think between the X-skins + the ability to shift the bindings forwards and backwards on the fly with the Rottefella MOVE bindings, the 190cm should work fine for me.

Thanks for the heads up about Asnes support. I’ll wait a few days to hear from the Asnes support person and finalize my decision then.
I'm inclined to agree.

But hey, bear in mind there's only 5mm between the 30mm skin that comes built in to the MR48 Skin and the 35mm X-Skin you're thinking of... I suspect it makes more sense to get a 40mm + skin. You're literally only ever going to need an X-Skin for climbing because you've got glide on the flats in difficult conditions covered with the built-in one... If you're light, the 40mm mohair might offer the best of both worlds (get you up steeper hills and OK glide in the right conditions).

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:17 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:43 pm
beeeweee wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Musk Ox wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

But hey, bear in mind there's only 5mm between the 30mm skin that comes built in to the MR48 Skin and the 35mm X-Skin you're thinking of... I suspect it makes more sense to get a 40mm + skin. You're literally only ever going to need an X-Skin for climbing because you've got glide on the flats in difficult conditions covered with the built-in one... If you're light, the 40mm mohair might offer the best of both worlds (get you up steeper hills and OK glide in the right conditions).
The 40mm mohair x-skins also sound promising, especially with the shorter hair for better glide. Only issue is I can’t find a place that sells it but it could be just due to being end of season. I’ll keep an eye out next winter.

Related to X-skins in general, has anyone tried trimming it lengthwise on the heal-end to improve glide without sacrificing grip? Kind of like shortening the kick wax area to improve glide?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:22 pm

beeeweee wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:17 pm

The 40mm mohair x-skins also sound promising, especially with the shorter hair for better glide. Only issue is I can’t find a place that sells it but it could be just due to being end of season. I’ll keep an eye out next winter.

Related to X-skins in general, has anyone tried trimming it lengthwise on the heal-end to improve glide without sacrificing grip? Kind of like shortening the kick wax area to improve glide?
Have you looked there https://varuste.net/fr/p94331/%C3%A5snes-x-skin-mohair

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:46 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:22 pm
beeeweee wrote:

Have you looked there https://varuste.net/fr/p94331/%C3%A5snes-x-skin-mohair
Yeah, I looked but it doesn’t look like they have it either. This is the one that I’m looking for: https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/x-skin-40mm-race/

It’s different than the other Mohair skins from Asnes in that, it’s the only skin that comes in 40mm instead of 35/45/58mm and it’s thinner and has shorter hair for improving glide.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:24 am

beeeweee wrote:

Oh yes, all my skins have had the snip. We also have uncircumcised ones in the house for when that's necessary. It's Åsnes's official advice and makes a big difference.
beeeweee wrote:
Yeah, I looked but it doesn’t look like they have it either. This is the one that I’m looking for: https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/x-skin-40mm-race/

It’s different than the other Mohair skins from Asnes in that, it’s the only skin that comes in 40mm instead of 35/45/58mm and it’s thinner and has shorter hair for improving glide.

https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/x-skin-40mm-race/
I have a pair of these and they're good (photographic evidence in profile pic). How many outings do you have left this season? I may be able to help you track a pair down.