Asnes Tindan 86 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Asnes Tindan 86 Ski Review

Post by Johnny » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 am

peterindc wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 am
I'm 5'10", 167 pounds plus pack, 63 yrs old. What do you think — go long (your usual advice) in the Tindan to 187? Or with tele turns (and my advancing age) in mind, stop at 176? And would that ski be your pick, or something else to tele on.
I would not recommend the 187s... Way too long for you... The 176 would give you very nice flotation, but even the 167 could be fun, being more nibble and easier to turn... If you are focusing on turns, I would give the 167s a try... If you are more into roaming around the mountains, the 176 would make nice snowshoes while being really easy to turn too... I like my BC downhill turning skis quite short... (Trees are very tight here...) And I'm sure when I reach 63, I will like them even shorter... 8-)

And yes, you will need the Access 100 skins...
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:35 am
The Tindan is a fair tad heavier than the Objective- the HypeV6 is only slightly heavier than the Tindan
The Tindan weights a few grams more, but it's also wider, with more running surface, offering slightly better flotation...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

w8n4snow

Post by w8n4snow » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:26 am

Anybody been getting out on their Tindans? It’d be great to hear from those that have actually made a few turns on em!? Hyper Vectors are calling...

Lasiocarpa

Post by Lasiocarpa » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am

I’ve been skiing my 176 Tindans all winter. Switchback X2s and Excursions.

The tip rocker floats the ski very nicely and allows them to perform better than their width would indicate in powder. That said, they are not a wide enough ski for low angle meadow skipping during high avy danger in our dry powder.

They perform very well on hardpack and corn and really like being driven hard. Very stable for a fairly lightweight ski at speed, while also being nimble and easy to maneuver.

In more difficult snow conditions (mashed potatoes, breakable crust, etc) I find that they are a very unforgiving ski. The stiff, non-rockered tail is hard to release from turns in these conditions.
I mounted them 2.5 cm back from the boot center line but maybe should have gone even further back.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Lasiocarpa wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am

The tip rocker floats the ski very nicely and allows them to perform better than their width would indicate in powder. That said, they are not a wide enough ski for low angle meadow skipping during high avy danger in our dry powder.

They perform very well on hardpack and corn and really like being driven hard. Very stable for a fairly lightweight ski at speed, while also being nimble and easy to maneuver.

In more difficult snow conditions (mashed potatoes, breakable crust, etc) I find that they are a very unforgiving ski. The stiff, non-rockered tail is hard to release from turns in these conditions.
I mounted them 2.5 cm back from the boot center line but maybe should have gone even further back.
Asnes recommends mounting them pin line at Balance Point for telemark skiing. It will give you more power over the tail and the deep pronounced rocker up front will keep the ski agile. This point puts my Scarpa T2 boot-mark at something like -5 from center mark on the ski. It seems atrocious but it works really well.

I agree with all your comments above, except the last paragraph because I haven't experienced those conditions yet with this ski. I would probably pick another ski as well.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:24 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:57 pm
Lasiocarpa wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am

Asnes recommends mounting them pin line at Balance Point for telemark skiing. It will give you more power over the tail and the deep pronounced rocker up front will keep the ski agile. This point puts my Scarpa T2 boot-mark at something like -5 from center mark on the ski. It seems atrocious but it works really well.

I agree with all your comments above, except the last paragraph because I haven't experienced those conditions yet with this ski. I would probably pick another ski as well.
Mine are mounted on BP. My only problem in my limited time was on very slippery but still unconsolidated very loose powder. Access Skins left in the truck may have helped. I was forced to take an extra low angle line climbing. With any slip, which I had almost every step, the rocker floated and the rest of the ski sank. I still climbed, but not nearly so much. It had been very cold, and didn’t have my full normal grip kit.
I’m not sure what that means, just an observation to date. It was warm that day, close to freezing for the first time in a few weeks. The ski track from just a couple days previous was also packed out. I had hoped that stiff tail would help the ski track in those conditions, but it didn’t.
As far as downhill, I have only skied powder, it turns great! However in deep, cold, loose, and low angle my line was a little straighter than normal.