Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Post by bgregoire » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:04 pm

You are right, but having them installed by a cobbler should be a breeze. They need the work anyways these days. Be careful out there.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Wed May 13, 2020 3:59 am

Don't need it with the strap do you.
Cheers from Down Under

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:37 am

I should have heeded the original post on this boot. The heel slippage is a major problem in my case - not just blisters, but pain in the heel bone to the point where I am done with them. They fit well until I actually start skiing :lol:. Excellent quality although there does appear to be a design flaw based on a number of similar comments.

Back to the drawing board. I tried Guard, loved the build and quality, but was twisting my legs inwards when stacking the bones over top, which I chalk up to my own body’s design flaw! Will try the Alaskas.

Too bad Salomon does not make a heavier duty NNN-BC boot. Love their NNN boot fit.

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Look at the Madshus Glittertind. They have a narrower heel pocket.
Cheers from Down Under

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:17 pm

NordicWilly wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:37 am
I should have heeded the original post on this boot. The heel slippage is a major problem in my case - not just blisters, but pain in the heel bone to the point where I am done with them. They fit well until I actually start skiing :lol:. Excellent quality although there does appear to be a design flaw based on a number of similar comments.

Back to the drawing board. I tried Guard, loved the build and quality, but was twisting my legs inwards when stacking the bones over top, which I chalk up to my own body’s design flaw! Will try the Alaskas.

Too bad Salomon does not make a heavier duty NNN-BC boot. Love their NNN boot fit.
Have you tried with an extra insole? It often helps.

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Ziggy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Look at the Madshus Glittertind. They have a narrower heel pocket.
Thanks @Ziggy - I will see if I can find some in my area.
Roelant wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:17 pm
Have you tried with an extra insole? It often helps.
@Roelant - I tried a thicker insole, but was still having problems. Seemed like the pressure from straps was in wrong places.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Been using this boot again this week- difficult, cold refrozen snow-

Excellent boot-
- light
- flexible
- very supportive

I still don't have an easy fit in this boot but have made them work with the right sock combination and ankle booties.

These boots are lighter than the Alpina Alaska and offer more ankle support.

These boots are heavier than the Alfa Guard BC but offer more ankle support.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am

So- a longer-term use update on this boot-

This boot is fantastic.
I have now managed to completely break in this boot and I am thrilled with it.

The design and performance are simply brilliant for distance-oriented Nordic touring in hilly/steep terrain.

I had originally judged that the Svartisen was not in the "Extreeeeme" Class of Nordic touring boots-
I have now firmly changed my mind on this.
The Svartisen boot- once all tightened up- offers at least as much support as my almost-new Asolo Extreme 75 boot.
In fact- with both of the Svartisen's buckles tightened up- I find the Svartisen offers the same above-ankle lateral support as the Extreme- is more torsionally stable than the Extreme (overall)- and offers a much better XC striding flex, even with the top strap tightened up, because the outer shell on the Svarisen articulates at the hinge.

The sole-flex of the Svartisen BC is definitely designed for striding, but now that it is broken in I find it to be reasonably stable. The sole of this boot is stiffer and more stable than my Alfa Guard BC- the broken-in sole of the Svartisen remains softer than my completely worn Alaska BC.

The Svartisen is brilliant. Completely tightened up it offers as least as much support as an "Extreeeme"-Class Nordic touring boot, yet offering the complete freedom of a BC-XC striding boot with the straps loosened. I even find pure XC striding reasonably comfortable with the shell and top strap tightened down because of the hinge. By comparison- the Asolo Extreme boot is VERY restrictive as a XC striding boot- I would suggest that it is as restrictive as my Scarpa T4 actually. (In all fariness the Extreme 75 boot is more XC restrictive than a T4 with top buckle loosened (which I cannot get away with due to heel-lift with the T4 loosened up)).

On top of all of that, the Svartisen BC is remarkably light- noticeably lighter than the Alaska BC- and much lighter than my Asolo Extreme 75.

Last weekend I did back-to-back repeated tests of the following:
- Asnes Storetind Carbon + Asolo Extreme 75 + Voile 3-pin Hardwire
- Asnes Falketind 62 + Svartisen BC + NNNBC

(I also went out a bit later with Asnes Storetind Carbon + Scarpa T4 + Voile 3-pin Hardwire)

Conditions:
- ~5-10cm of soft fresh snow over 60cm of rock-hard, refrozen base
- open field with 10-20% slope

Notes:
- The Asolo Extreme 75 boot did not offer more support than the Svartisen BC
- The Asolo Extreme 75 boot did not offer any more leverage/edge control than the Svartisen BC (in all fairness this is not an apples-to-apples comparison- due to the different skis)
- The hardwire cable greatly increased stability and power transfer on my trailing/uphill/rear ski
- the T4 offered noticeably better leverage/edge control over either leather boot
- Svartisen BC offered by far the best XC and climbing performance of the three boots

Without the hardwire cable- I was more impressed with the downhill performance of the Svartisen BC than the Extreme 75. Would be interested in comparing these two boots and bindings with the same ski. (Might mount 75mm on my second pair of FT62 to compare...)

The Svartisen BC is an ultralight, "Extreme-Class" Nordic Touring ski boot- with the ability to customize the straps, cuff and outer shell to allow the total freedom of a XC boot when striding.

Some more notes on the Svartisen BC:

The Svartisen BC is not as warm as either the Alpina Alaska or the Alfa Guard (with the Guard being the warmest).

The Svartisen could still do with another lace cleat at the top of the boot. This would even further improve the fit and support of this boot. (One could still leave the very top of the boot unlaced if one wanted the almost sneaker-feel of the completely loosened Svartisen).

I am thinking I will try and add an aftermarket lace cleat to the top of the boot. The only problem with this is that it will be underneath the outer shell- this will cause wear and it might even create a pressure point when the outer shell and cuff are tightened down...I am not sure that this is a good move...

If I were to redesign the Svartisen I would slightly increase the height of the boot and add another lace cleat at the top of that beautiful leather upper!

I am so impressed with this boot that I am seriously considering the Svartisen 75...

I highly recommend the Svartisen BC- VERY impressed.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Another note- perhaps didn't make this clear- was thrilled with the downhill performance of the Svartisen BC and the Falketind 62 in the above-described conditions.
The T4- especially with the heel-cable- was definitely more capable when I tried to truly "carve" on edge on that very hard icy base. BUT- the Storetind is wider than the FT62...Would like to try the Svartisen on my Storetind or a Rabb 68- though the Rabb 68 has a different camber and flex than the Storetind...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Gareth, in ideal world Rottefella/Alfa would send you a Free Gtx and an Xplore binding. I’m not sold on the 75 mm Rottefella thermomolded sole. However 75mm welted sole boots are not easy to find.
I think the Norwegians are driving the market, and this is the direction. I would be very hesitant to drop more than 300 Euros on a thermomolded sole.
I’m usually not a new tech guy, but this time is different. Rottefella has not improved their thermomolded sole. They are going in a new direction. The question is will that pin attachment and underfoot bumper give cable like support, and offer NNN-BC kick and glide performance. I would be very pleased to read your review on the subject.
I have a question. Let’s say you bought a Svartisen 75 mm boot, wouldn’t a three pin cable / traverse or Rotte 3 pin / cable be a better match than a hardwire? I do ski my Ski March with both cable and hardwire. It works with the hardwire, just at a light setting. The hardwire is more power than required, but to me, the best option if you may use a T-4 occasionally as well.