Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
User avatar
Snebor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by Snebor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:52 am

AlaskaNordic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 am
I literally just took mine out for their inaugural run yesterday, I had been skiing on Rossigonol BC 90's. This year I wanted to become a real skier and have quiver, so I bought these for touring. HUGE difference, the glide so much better and the scales are light years better, I could tour all day in these no problem mile after mile. I am just shocked at how much better the kick zone is. My Rossis were 179, these are 189 so I was leary of a longer ski to my surprise these moved great through the treess and tight spots as good if not better. Never owned a pair of Fischers before but i have to say I am a fan now. I have a pair of Rottafella 3 pins mounted on them and will be using the Alico Ski March when they arrive, for now I have my Alco doubles and still a surperior ski.
Thinking whether choose 179 or 189. Could you tell your weight/height?

User avatar
Snebor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by Snebor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 am

AlaskaNordic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 am
I literally just took mine out for their inaugural run yesterday, I had been skiing on Rossigonol BC 90's. This year I wanted to become a real skier and have quiver, so I bought these for touring. HUGE difference, the glide so much better and the scales are light years better, I could tour all day in these no problem mile after mile. I am just shocked at how much better the kick zone is. My Rossis were 179, these are 189 so I was leary of a longer ski to my surprise these moved great through the treess and tight spots as good if not better. Never owned a pair of Fischers before but i have to say I am a fan now. I have a pair of Rottafella 3 pins mounted on them and will be using the Alico Ski March when they arrive, for now I have my Alco doubles and still a surperior ski.
thinking about whether to choose 179 or 189
Could you please tell your weight (with ski cloths on or body weight)/height?



User avatar
AlaskaNordic
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Location: Alaska
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double
Occupation: Fire Engine driver.

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by AlaskaNordic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 pm

I looked on the chart and near as I could tell the 189s were the right size, I weigh just under 200 any where from 185-195 depending on season.



User avatar
AlaskaNordic
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Location: Alaska
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double
Occupation: Fire Engine driver.

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by AlaskaNordic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:55 pm

Sorry Height, about 5 foot 8 .



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm

@Snebor
What kind of skiing are you looking to do with the 78- and what is the terrain like?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:45 am

Full-on spring skiing here in the Central Hills and loving the Traverse 78 (when I can wrestle it from my wife's grip!)!

FYI- the Traverse 78 iscurrently Gamme the Elder's top pick for a waxless-scaled Fjellski- beating out the former test-winner the E99 Crown Xtralite: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... rie-turski
https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... crown-skin
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
rosskiAlba
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:22 am

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by rosskiAlba » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am

Hi just found this website and enjoying all the chat and helpful info. Hoping for some advice please - have just got a pair of Traverse 78s in a 186cm. Originally wanted shorter length but now I have these, wondering if will be ok for mixed conditions off-track, undulating hills and moors (Scotland) maybe hut-to-hut Norway. Still in their wrapping but have Rotte super Teles off an old pair of Nansens to fix if advice here is that they're worth keeping. Just not sure if kick and glide is going to be too much on the 186cm length, for my weight and height - 120lbs/169 height. Thanks for any help/advice!



User avatar
Woodserson
Posts: 2550
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10
Occupation: Retro Rager-grouch. Flailmeister. E99 Nerd

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:49 pm

rosskiAlba wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am
Hi just found this website and enjoying all the chat and helpful info. Hoping for some advice please - have just got a pair of Traverse 78s in a 186cm. Originally wanted shorter length but now I have these, wondering if will be ok for mixed conditions off-track, undulating hills and moors (Scotland) maybe hut-to-hut Norway. Still in their wrapping but have Rotte super Teles off an old pair of Nansens to fix if advice here is that they're worth keeping. Just not sure if kick and glide is going to be too much on the 186cm length, for my weight and height - 120lbs/169 height. Thanks for any help/advice!
Can you take a tape and measure the ski from tip to tail in a straight line, don't bend the tape to the ski. Please do this.

My hunch is that you're going to like it at this length especially if you are wearing a backpack and will be heavier and that your skiing is going to be traveling over terrain/miles and not climbing up something to ski and turn down it.

Have you tried a card test on it yet?



User avatar
rosskiAlba
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:22 am

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by rosskiAlba » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 am

Hello and thanks for the reply - measured skis as you said and they are right on 185cm. Haven't done the paper test as they're still sealed together in retail wrapping and thought to leave them 'brand new' in case selling them on looked like a better idea. But yes, the main concern was whether the camber might be too stiff for my weight. Checking out other posts on this ski very interesting /useful but heavier weights and taller. Seems as though the paper test will be the decider! Thanks again.



User avatar
Woodserson
Posts: 2550
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10
Occupation: Retro Rager-grouch. Flailmeister. E99 Nerd

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:53 am

rosskiAlba wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 am
Hello and thanks for the reply - measured skis as you said and they are right on 185cm. Haven't done the paper test as they're still sealed together in retail wrapping and thought to leave them 'brand new' in case selling them on looked like a better idea. But yes, the main concern was whether the camber might be too stiff for my weight. Checking out other posts on this ski very interesting /useful but heavier weights and taller. Seems as though the paper test will be the decider! Thanks again.
Many of us tend to like longer skis here. The Fischer Offtrack Crown is excellent. I'm 160lbs on the old (last year) 199cm length and it's perfect. I used to be on a 189cm (measures at about 186cm) ski and I sold it as the 199 was as grippy AND faster. The EZ Skin attachment could help you if you're on steeper approaches and slipping. If you have good skiing experience and are focused on long distance flatter skiing and have any sort of backpack I think you'll be fine. But again, caveats abound and this is tough to make declaratives online. Let us know how the test goes, keeping in mind this is a non wax ski.

It's a great ski for the skiing you are describing.



Post Reply