Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Re: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by freedom glider » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:49 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 am
Llilcliffy, just curious — would you rate the Nansen as a “countryside touring ski?”
How about the Gamme?
wondering the same things. this seems sort of the dilema with the ousland. its skinny enough to be tempting for some use in tracks and for "countryside touring." if one were designing a ski for pure polar expedition - why make it this skinny? wouldnt deep snow be a likely condition to expect at times when heading toward the poles? wouldn't width help support the weight of pack/pulk?

and the ousland seems to be thought of as somewhat similar to the e99 - and the e99 does not seem to be considered an expedition ski.

not questioning anyone's impressions or insights here at all. just confused about the asnes story about this ski compared to its specs. and am interested in the ousland as sort of an e99-ish ski in this time of e99/tn66 shortage.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:38 am

freedom glider wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:49 pm
Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 am
Llilcliffy, just curious — would you rate the Nansen as a “countryside touring ski?”
How about the Gamme?
wondering the same things. this seems sort of the dilema with the ousland. its skinny enough to be tempting for some use in tracks and for "countryside touring." if one were designing a ski for pure polar expedition - why make it this skinny? wouldnt deep snow be a likely condition to expect at times when heading toward the poles? wouldn't width help support the weight of pack/pulk?

and the ousland seems to be thought of as somewhat similar to the e99 - and the e99 does not seem to be considered an expedition ski.

not questioning anyone's impressions or insights here at all. just confused about the asnes story about this ski compared to its specs. and am interested in the ousland as sort of an e99-ish ski in this time of e99/tn66 shortage.
To understand the Asnes ski design, you have to understand the polar environment.

Snow at high latitudes tend to be windblown and hard. Not deep. Also, most snowfall occurs in the mountains or near the ocean. The northern tundra is cold and dry. And in the south pole and Antarctica, I have been told that its also similarly cold and dry. Any big snow storm usually is often met with high winds as the system comes through. It will go from being foggy/cloudy to clear skies. These high winds either blow the snow away or if the snow is moisture rich and bonds to the surface, it freezes into a hard layer of crust. The freezing takes place rapidly as warmer air is lost in clear skies (warmer air is trapped when there is cloud coverage). So when it's sunny and clear in the arctic in the winter, it tends to be very cold...also because of shorter days (when the sun sets, the temp can drop 20 degrees in minutes...all the moisture is gone). I have experienced moist warmer air transform into floating ice crystals as the skies clear up (it will be "snowing" on a clear sunny day) and it will feel very cold and dry within the hour.

The surface snow completely melts away above the arctic circle in the summer with permafrost about 6"+ below it. The permafrost of the arctic is up to 1700ft. So the ground is spongy, soft, and often wet during the summer. The vast tundra is hilly, bumpy (tussocked), or flat. No trees, no bushes. Mossy and grassy. And in many areas, low grass and marshy, swampy with many streams and ponds/lakes that form (more like giant puddles). All of this is frozen solid in the winter.

The snow is very dry on the tundra and gets blown off during periods of high winds. Snow in the early and late winter and spring which carries more moisture will stick and then melt and refreeze with huge temp swings and also become crusty from prolonged sun exposure (suncrust) and/or windblown... so this layer is either solid hard crust or breakable crust. Sustrugi will also form from the high winds and tend to be very hard, boilerplate features.

The most ideal condition in spring or late spring is the perfect skateable crust that allows for fast gliding...the crust is just soft enough and sometimes has some light dusting of newer snow on top and allows a pair of skinnies to slide perfectly and gracefully...this is a nordic skiiers dream (usually only lasting 1-3 wks in Alaska...and sometimes as little as an hour in a day depending on where you are...may have much longer windows in the higher latitudes).

So, overall, you wont encounter very deep snow on polar expeditions unless you are at higher elevations, on glaciers, or mountainous areas.

The thin, long Asnes skis are tuned for these conditions. The snow is hard and unforgiving for a thousand miles. There might be some areas of deep snow, but on many of these routes, these are relatively "short" sections of the trail. I say "short" because it still could be 20miles long of breaking trail in a foot or more of snow.

See photos below of the north slope in Alaska

taken between july and oct of various years.
FB_IMG_1641105060859.jpg
FB_IMG_1641105055181.jpg
FB_IMG_1641105039157.jpg
FB_IMG_1641104970064.jpg

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 am

freedom glider wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:49 pm
if one were designing a ski for pure polar expedition - why make it this skinny? wouldnt deep snow be a likely condition to expect at times when heading toward the poles? wouldn't width help support the weight of pack/pulk?
Yes, this is interesting. Even the MR48, sold as a ski for back-before-dinner trips into the foothills, has been weapon of choice for several polar expeditions. The MR48 used to be called the Holmenkollen, and that was another battle-tested expedition ski.

I'm presuming that you go for length for stability and speed, with specific summer conditions in mind, and so you choose the lightest skis for that length, which means for example no full steel wrap. On loose snow on top of hardpack the MR48 really shines. And it tracks straight.

Richard Parks was especially pleased to save a kilo over his Combat NATOs in the Antarctic for example: https://www.richardparks.co.uk/news-blo ... -kit-list/

I'd probably prefer Borge Ouslands or Gammes if it were me though.

freedom glider
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65

Post by freedom glider » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 pm

anybody skiing ouslands this season who cares to chime in on their performance and pros and cons?

thanks

MartinMooser

Post by MartinMooser » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:12 am

Hello, I heard that Alaska NNNBC and Asnes Borge are one of the best companies in this field. They have produced tools for skiing for over fifty years, and few companies have managed to raise them to their level. Still, I can't deny that their products are quite expensive and if you don't practice sport daily, it is not reasonable to buy professional ski tools. You can buy other good alternatives on https://zumroad.com/sport, they have great prices, and if you are lucky enough, you can even get a discount.
Last edited by MartinMooser on Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:14 pm

freedom glider wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 pm
anybody skiing ouslands this season who cares to chime in on their performance and pros and cons?

thanks
Whatever you do don’t go for a Gamme, it’s the fastest ski I own and I wouldn’t want to have to chase you down the trails.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:30 am

freedom glider wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 pm
I bought the Ouslands in the Spring of 2020 after reading the test in utemagasinet.no, but waited for Xplore before mounting them last Winter. The test rated them "best in test" and described a very light ski which follows the terrain, turns well and has good kick and glide. I have always preferred skis that turns well, both for telemark and backcountry skiing, and wanted bc skis that also fit in prepared tracks near our cabin at Røros. My other skis are Fischer E109 from 2008 or earlier (greyish color), which don't fit in tracks, are not stable on prepared surface or on hard snow when trying to go straight, nor has very good kick and glide. They turn well though, especially in soft snow, and also float well there.

The Ouslands are much more stable, but turn well (especially on consolidated snow) and floats okay. In soft snow they are still nice and might be the faster of the two on flat terrain, but I prefer the E109 for float and turning if touring in pure soft snow. In tracks the Ouslands are fine, but I also have NNN equipment/track skis for tours only involving prepared tracks. My wife has an old pair of Fischer E99 (bluish color) and they feel a bit similar to the Ouslands.

I'd like to try some Ingstads (best allrounder) or newer E109s (best in test), and am considering buying a pair of Ingstad if I come across a good deal for skiing outside tracks and steeper skiing. (Common skins across skis exclude Fischer, and I'm also thinking about modifying my old E109 to accept Åsnes skins). Åsnes' alternative to Ousland for tours involving a lot of prepared track and higher speed is MR48. Making new tracks, following wider tracks or tracks made by others they have the Sverdrups, while for tours outside tracks they have Ingstad/Tonje/Combat. For faster tours possibly with heavy backpack they have Gamme and Amundsen/Liv, so you have to define your own wants/demands. There are also other manufacturers :-P

freedom glider

Post by freedom glider » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:41 pm

great info! thanks for posting

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri May 19, 2023 2:47 pm

I just received these skis in 210cm length. The rocker is about half as high as the Åsnes Otto Sverdrup,and much shorter. With bases compressed together at the ball -of- foot, a standard sheet of paper only goes down 30 cm from the ski tips. For comparison a non rockered Madshus Glittertind has a paper test of 20cm from the tips, and a 2014 E99 has nearly 50cm. With all the comments here I was expecting "oodles of rocker" to be much more than the 10cm more separation length compared to a non rockered ski. Also the skis have a high final stiffness when squeezing the bases together. They are stiffer than the 2014 200cm E99s I have.
Looking forwards to testing them but it probably wont be before December, but they seem like good mile crushers to me.

Edit: here are pictures of the rocker.
@fisheater measured the length rocker between uncompressed and compressed contact points for the Gamme at 20cm.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2016&start=10#p24238
Doing the same exercise for the Ousland, using a wood clamp to clamp the BOF area of the skis firmly together, gives me 13.5cm or so.
P_20230522_195821.jpg
So the Ousland has substantially shorter (less) rocker than the Gamme.
Height: Unknown until someone measures it or holds both pairs side by side, but here is a picture. The profile looks pretty similar overall to the Gamme, to me.
P_20230522_200838.jpg

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue May 23, 2023 2:14 am

Johnny wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 pm
Looking back at this post by Johnny on page 4, my skis clearly have substantially shorter NR. For comparison, I have no base separation about one cm beyond where Borge's shoulder /neck meets the edge of the ski.
Variation in production or changing design over the years?
I did specify the shop that I am a heavy skier and they had >5 pairs in my size in stock. Did they compress test all of them to find the stiffest pair, which incidentally has less rocker?
@lilcliffy could you squeeze your Gammes and measure the distance between uncompressed and compressed contact points? I'm asking you because I know you have a fetish for ski squeezing ;)