Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Another update for anyone who is curious.

I ordered a pair of these from France for my wife from Adventure Nordique. I had some issues getting them but it was no fault of the shipping company or Adventure Nordique, but my own Post Office. They had them for two weeks but failed to notify me. I have the boots now. I paid less than I did than buying them from a US retailer - returns, I doubt it... shipping costs a lot. That was the good thing about dealing with Telemarkdown.

Anyway, it's coming to the point where Nordic BC gear is getting harder to find in the US, so it's good to know you can still get it overseas if need be.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Interesting UTE article (Norwegian) reviewing light to medium-duty Nordic boots:

http://www.utemagasinet.no/Utstyr/Sko-deg
Right-click on page and "translate to English" (unless you are fortunte enough to read Norwegian)

The Svartisen NNNBC as tested had a stiffer flex than the 75mm version.

Interesting...

Mike- this seems similar to your comparison between the Alaska 75mm vs. NNNBC (unfortunately the Alaska was not included in this test/review).

The Fischer BCX6 scored a "6" for stability (tied with the T4!!?)- the 75mm version of the BCX6 only scored a "3.5"!?

What in the world is going on?

Is this just shoddy craftsmanship- or is it an attempt to compete with NNNBC's free-pivot performance by using a softer sole flex?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Cool article.

I bet it's for touring performance. The trend seems to be fairly consistent between the boots we see in NA.

Just a quick comment -

IMHO the Svartisen 75mm offers more support than the Alaska BC, and far more support than the Alaska 75mm. For me, I guess, even if the sole was stiffer on the Alaska BC, that isn't everything. The added ankle support provides a greater deal of stability for me as well.

I also might be a bit hyper-sensitive to this and the difference may not be as pronounced as I think. My wife, for instance, doesn't find a huge difference between her Alaska and Svartisen (both 75mm). She says both are a far cry from her Scott Excusions (and I'd believe that).

So possible to someone like me who hasn't tried skiing on a light plastic, the difference seems magnified. To someone coming from skiing a boot as stiff as that, all these leathers will feel ultra-floppy I'm sure.

I almost want to get a pair of Fischer BCX6 now - I may not really like them but I'd like to compare and see what works for best for me.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 pm

MikeK wrote: I almost want to get a pair of Fischer BCX6 now - I may not really like them but I'd like to compare and see what works for best for me.
I'd say save the expense. The Alaska is a better boot overall. I own both in NNNBC and can answer any of your specific questions regarding both. The thing with the Fischer is that the lacing ends way too low on the boot. Above the ankle, all you got is a big velcro that just does not tighten sufficiently (eventhough the external plastic support which is also velcro helps some). It might be beefy but the tightening system is so poor that you can't even use all of what the boot has to offer (i'm considering modifying it by adding lacing up the foot). If your looking for more support in a North American boot, go 75mm. maybe Rossignol BCX12. Otherwize, find some old style Alico Blaze or Double 75mm. I seriously doubt you will find a burlier NNNBC boot than the Svartisen here. Other than the prehistoric Alpina 2500 mentioned in this thread of course:

http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... aska/page2
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for the info.

My Alaska NNN BC Alaska is my K&G boot. It does OK for me the little I've skied it down hills, but I wouldn't dedicate it to that. You know my gripes about it - I wish it was wider.

I was actually thinking of trying the BCX6 in the 75mm (is that called something else, I forget?). I went through hell to get the Crispi and it's a nice boot, but I don't think I could ski it lift serve, my feet get too cold in it if I'm not moving.

PS I remember that EYT thread well. Oh I was so naive then. I read that before I ever joined a ski forum!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 pm

MikeK wrote:Thanks for the info.

My Alaska NNN BC Alaska is my K&G boot. It does OK for me the little I've skied it down hills, but I wouldn't dedicate it to that. You know my gripes about it - I wish it was wider.

I was actually thinking of trying the BCX6 in the 75mm (is that called something else, I forget?). I went through hell to get the Crispi and it's a nice boot, but I don't think I could ski it lift serve, my feet get too cold in it if I'm not moving.
As for the BCX6 in 75mm, never tried it out but it has the same flaw then it comes to the lacing. I need to add an extra liner in the BCX6 to keep me warm even K&Ging when it gets below 20C. It might be worth mentioning the Fischer boot does not have a membrane layer (ala Goretex). If you are aiming for a warmer boot, try adding, in this order: a thicker sock, a closed cell liner, a super-gaiter (insulated or not). No need for a new boot when you can modify it!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:39 pm

You know where I'm headed here right?

My Crispi is so form fitting I can't get anything but a thin sock in there, which is fine as long as I'm moving (and good for ski control). My feet generate a lot of heat as long as I move them but I must be getting old because this is the first year I've noticed my feet getting cold just standing around. That never used to happen.

Outside gaiter might work, and def would be a plus for an exped with a boot like this. Not sure how I'd like that for riding lifts. Guess it's an option.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 am

MikeK wrote:You know where I'm headed here right?

Outside gaiter might work, and def would be a plus for an exped with a boot like this. Not sure how I'd like that for riding lifts. Guess it's an option.
Actually, not sure where you are heading, perhaps towards putting together a museum of leather ski boots? :mrgreen:

As for the cold, well this has been a record breaking cold year, perhaps your feet are not yet THAT old?

Hey, if you are worried about your style on the groomers, you might try the snazzy neoprene glue-on supergaiters made by the folks @ 40 below:
https://www.40below.com/products_detail ... oductID=69

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 am

Haha - yeah I was being pretty elusive... but all signs kinda point to me just getting a pair of plastic Excursions for skiing on groomed terrain. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 am

I also own a pair of Fischer BCX6 NNNBC boots.

As far as I know there are two generations of this boot currently available.

The most recent generation is the one that Ben is referring to above- with the velcro strap above the ankle. This is also the version depicted in the photo, in the referenced UTE article (i.e. they are brown/grey colored).

The previous generation (the one I own) is a lace-up design above the ankle (strangely- this is the generation depicted in the UTE photo- can't imagine why they would compare NNNBC vs 75mm models from different product generations- perhaps it is just a mistake with the photos?).

It is unclear to me which generation of this boot UTE magazine actually tested. Based on Ben's report above; it appears the support of the boot in general has been reduced by moving away from the complete lace-up version.

My close friend has the Fischer BCX675 (i.e. 75mm). Our conclusion reflects the UTE test- the NNNBC model offers more stability than the 75mm model- this is due to sole flex. (On another note- the internet is full of user-reports of pre-mature sole separation with the 75mm model).

I am amazed that in UTE test, the Fischer BCX6 NNNBC tied with the Scarpa T4 for stability!?

On another note- the composite construction of the two generations of this boot are completely different. The older generation (grey/black) has plastic/nylon construction that causes the boot flex-point to squeeze your foot (metatarsus). The internet has quite a few reports of this. My BCX6 NNNBC boots (grey/black) squeeze/crush my metatarsus so severely that it took over a month for the pain to go away. According t o the Fischer Rep- the new construction resolves this issue.

Unfortunately- as a result- the BCX6 (as Ben mentions) is not waterproof.

The older generation boot also does not breathe- whatsoever. I would be very anxious taking these boots on a multi-day trek/tour- they would never dry out!

And I concur with Ben- the Alaska is a much warmer boot than the BCX6.

I am also extremely impressed with the Alaska's waterproof-breathable liner (i.e. "Alpitex"- not sure if that is Alpina's own product?). I find that it at least as effective as GTX.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.