Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 pm

MikeK-

Interesting that the UTE test found a stiffer flex from the Svartissen NNNBC though...

"Boot means more than binding"

Would love to try the NNNBC version of the Svartissen.

Surely you and I must need a pair...surely our wives would clearly recognize that need! :D
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:50 am

I think if you are serious about xcD on system bindings, then the Svartisen NNN BC would be the best choice. I mean the UTE test proves that - your wife cannot argue with the data!

I'd think it would also be more ideal for trekking with a pack - the added ankle support would be awesome for carrying loads.

I wish it was warmer, but as Ben points out - there are ways to fix that.

For rolling terrain, and mild tours I feel like the Alaska is more than adequate... but my opinion is not shared by everyone - I'll point out that my wife feels the Alaska does not have enough ankle support, and possibly sole support because her feet start to hurt after about 1.5-2hrs in them. This is again comparing the 75mm versions, but there is a difference.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 am

I still think it is more an issue of above-ankle leverage than ankle support.

At least for my wife and I- we both find the Alaska has very good ankle support.

I would assume- as you have described- that the Svartissen has greater support and leverage above the ankle.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Leverage is increased due to stiffness, but if you have relatively weak ankles, as my wife does then a cuff or stiff upper is absolutely crucial. She literally can't hike in low top trail runners without risking an injury. Some people can. The upper on Alaska is softer than either of my hiking boots, one is a Salomon light hiker, the other an Asolo backpacking boot. I have pretty strong ankles, so the softness doesn't bother me much. I can't drive a ski with it though, so that is where the boot like the Svartisen helps someone like me. Also I think I'd opt for that for a trek with a heavy pack. Last thing I'd want to do is twist my ankle funny with a heavy load and have to limp back home.

A little off topic but I actually took a bad fall with my Alaska on last week. I wasn't going all that fast but just being stupid and trying to ski something I shouldn't have (ice and poor cover - the ice got me out of control, a rock took me down). I twisted my leg really bad - initially my knee and my shin hurt but after I took I boot off my ankle started to hurt real bad too. The Svartisen wouldn't have helped that type of fall, my ankle rotated (viewed from the top) and didn't roll. My entire knee and ankle went over 90 degrees inward i.e. imagine someone twisting your foot, no rolling, toward your big toe over 90 deg - ouch. A plastic boot might have been worse - I might have torn something in my knee as it might have impeded my ankle motion.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 am

Very sorry to hear of your injury...here's to healing...drink only quality beer and you should be okay! :D

(Had a bad telemark injury over 20 years ago skiing on thick icy crust in Nova Scotia- tore all the soft tissue in my right leg from my foot, through my ankle up into my calf- brutally painful. Would take me a lot longer to heal from that 20 years later! I don't miss skiing in Nova Scotia- the snow conditions are typically awful.)

I here what you are saying about ankle support...only I don't know if I agree with you about your comparison with hiking boots...My heaviest-duty backpacking boots (Scarpa Kinesis) have an almost identical degree of support, flex and extension as the Alaska (IMO). Again- this is to offer both ankle support and efficient striding performance (hiking/xc skiing).

The above-ankle support that you are speaking of in the Svartissen, to me, is more similar to a mountaineering boot, or a heavy-duty logging boot. Hence- your ability to steer something as fat as the Epoch.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am

Alaska is pretty similar to my light hiking boots. My heavy backpacking boots are a bit stiffer in the ankle.

On another note - my Snowpines are MUCH stiffer in the ankle (they have a piece of plastic inside), but not nearly as supportive as the Alaska. The reason is mainly they don't go up high enough or conform to my foot. I ski the worst in those boots. So if we are getting to the point that stiffness isn't everything as far as support goes, I'll surely agree.

The Svartisen does however give the conformity, and stiffness. I believe that having what is basically a soft leather ankle on the inside reinforced by the plastic cuff gives the best of both worlds. The lacing however is not the same as a boot like the Alaska, so it doesn't conform quite as well. There is only one lace loop above the instep. It would be kind of a pain to lace up, but a few more lace straps would make the upper conform better before tightening the ratchet straps.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:30 am

PS OT: My leg is fine now. It wasn't that bad, just a sprain. Made me think a bit though, it's the first I've twisted my leg on non-releasable bindings... my wife did almost the same thing early season - hit a rock and face planted, just depends on how the skis twist... in deep, soft snow it's not a worry so much.

I also read about a guy who left his foot on the Marcy Dam truck trail while his upper body skied away. He hit a rock and shattered his ankle. He was wearing soft XC boots.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:44 am

MikeK wrote:The Svartisen wouldn't have helped that type of fall, my ankle rotated (viewed from the top) and didn't roll. My entire knee and ankle went over 90 degrees inward i.e. imagine someone twisting your foot, no rolling, toward your big toe over 90 deg - ouch. A plastic boot might have been worse - I might have torn something in my knee as it might have impeded my ankle motion.
I'm sorry to hear that, too. Were you on Svartisen NNN or 75mm then?
Anyway one of the reasons why I'm sticking with NNN/SNS is that it would help us to have less chances of injuries.
I know a couple of friends who wore heavy telemark gear and got injured in their legs.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 am

CIMA wrote: I'm sorry to hear that, too. Were you on Svartisen NNN or 75mm then?
Anyway one of the reasons why I'm sticking with NNN/SNS is that it would help us to have less chances of injuries.
I know a couple of friends who wore heavy telemark gear and got injured in their legs.
Oh I was using my Alaska NNN BC. I could be injured in any gear - soft ankle boots sometimes lead to ankle injuries, stiff ankle boots sometimes lead to knee injuries... it's just part of the game.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 am

In terms of comparison between NNN and 75mm, wouldn't NNN/SNS bindings have lower risk of ankle injury due to their hinge structures?
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.