Icelantic Nomad 95 Review ... FUN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Icelantic Nomad 95 Review ... FUN

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm

Oh boy! I have fallen in L-o-o-o-o-ve!

I've been struggling for a while over the following factors: I am light at 160lbs, I am not very powerful as that weight is stretched over 6'2". I'm skinny and not very muscle-y. I live in New England where we ski with bumps and tight-ass trees. I telemark and I'm more cautious now which means skiing slower, but still wanting to ski tight trees-- all this translates into needing/wanting a ski that bends easily around said tight trees without needing centrifugal forces to bend the ski; I want to bend skis with my own weight as I slither like a snake around the skis. I want a fun bendy ski for tight situations and soft or spring snow.

That means rocker + soft flex + 96ish waist.

More and more "all mountain" mid-90 waisted skis are now becoming absolutely tanks. Rocker is being removed, camber is getting longer and the skis in this category are getting STIFF. Insane Stiff. Like CRAZY 2x4 stiff. Scary stiff. I refuse to go for a ride on top of some monster ski that caters to aspiration instead of REALITY. I am not a pro skier. I am not in magazines. I am not going 75mph down a bottomless spine in Alaska. Every day is not a daydream. Most days are not a daydream.

All I want is to go spring skiing and not get tossed off my horse.

AND THEN...
PXL_20210323_145026648.jpg
I FOUND THESE

181cm Icelantic Nomad 95

This is what these skis are/do:

They are soft.
They have deep rocker
They bend easily
They are FUN AS HELL.
They pop
They slash
They pivot
They snake and slither and squirm and wiggle and everything!
***They are the best spring skiing ski I have ever owned.***

This is what this ski is NOT:

They are not stable at high speed in crud or bumped up corn or whatever
They are not grumpy
They are not not-chattery at high speeds (sensing themes! these skis bounce)
They are not stiff or firm flexing or whatever adjective you would use
They are not the best firm snow/ice ski, at all
They are probably not for heavier and/or more powerful skiers

For lighter skiers, on the east coast, on smaller mountains, with tight tree/bump skiing, in softer snow, these Nomad 95's are the ticket! This has been my absolute best purchase in YEARS. I go through a lot of skis. I buy, sell at loss, gather the data, try again. I generally don't talk about them much because they fail to get my really really excited about going skiing.The Icelantic Nomad 95 gets me excited to go skiing! They replace my venerable 169cm 2010 K2 Kung Fujas that I bought for $70 (w/ BD 02s!) several years ago. Same concept, soft, rockered, pivotable ski, except I got the Nomad in a longer length more commensurate to my height.

If you are lighter, less powerful, or don't want to pretend you are He-Man Master of the Universe, this little ski is for you!

Made in USA, 3yr warrantee, FUN FUN FUN

Also the graphics are SICK. At first I was a little "ah whatever" but now I love them! They are so moody and mysterious and it just works with the pueblo and petroglyphs.

LOVE

181 Icelantic Nomad 95
130-95-120
22 Design VICE with my boot mark -1cm from recommended

https://www.icelanticskis.com/collectio ... 1-nomad-95

I have to add: I have never, at least in recent memory, fallen in love so hard so fast with a pair of skis from the first run. Instant head-over-heels love.
Last edited by Woodserson on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Icelantic Nomad 95 Review ... FUN

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:25 pm

We need a "Like" button.

I love that you no longer have to go to Moab to "go over the handlebars" while looking at petroglyphs. Now you can do it on skis anywhere.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 pm

I want them.
I probably have no use for them.
“GD The Pusher Man”, AKA Woods.
8-)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 pm
I want them.
I probably have no use for them.
“GD The Pusher Man”, AKA Woods.
8-)
Well you gotta get some real boots and things! Then shred these Nomads!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:55 pm

NNN-BC and Leather.
Otherwise, “SSS” — Slippery Slope Syndrome.
I would end up like you with a basement full of ski gear — Ha!
:lol:

Lasiocarpa

Post by Lasiocarpa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:01 am

Thanks for the review. I was aware of Icelantic but had honestly not given the brand much consideration.

I’ve been looking for a mid 90s powder ski that isn’t stiff as a board. Was going to grab another pair of V6s but now you have me thinking...

Weight seems reasonable even if it isn’t marketed as a backcountry ski.

Have you skied much powder with them yet?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:27 am

Lasiocarpa wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:01 am
Thanks for the review. I was aware of Icelantic but had honestly not given the brand much consideration.

I’ve been looking for a mid 90s powder ski that isn’t stiff as a board. Was going to grab another pair of V6s but now you have me thinking...

Zero. I just got them recently at the start of the corn season.

I personally would stick with my V6's for powder. I can't put my finger on it just yet, but I think the V6 is the superior ski for powder skiing. I think the flex profile along with the proportionally skinnier tail is probably better tuned to skiing pow and not folding up... but who knows!? If you can find them cheap, give them a shot and see what happens.

But yeah, these Nomads are definitely not stiff and they are an absolute blast in corn. But they are not for everybody. Lighter, dances-on-feet kind of skiers. They start to flop when I let them run, so instead I just turn them all the time. Total turn-fest. The camber underfoot is non-existent so they just pivot like crazy.

EDIT: I bet they would make fun powder skis, soft tail... but only if you are lighter for the length and don't push them hard too hard. There's a balance between too stiff and too soft... the V6 nails it for me... at 160lbs. The 178 and 183 both are good.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 pm

Lasiocarpa wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:01 am

You know what dude? I love the Nomad 95 so much I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Nomad 105 for the POWPOW. I'll report back next winter!

If one ski (the Icelantic Nomad 95) makes me so happy, it stands to chance the big brother (Nomad 105) in the same line will make me as happy, and I'm willing to risk that. Flexing them now at home they have the same flex profile but a little stiffer overall. I think it's a magic ticket. I think this ski is also going to be a win. I can feel it in my bones. I believe and I put my money where my mouth is.

Back to the Nomad 95: Yesterday I had a fantastic day on these ski, farming corn, keeping them turning, keeping them moving. They bend so easily and so consistently, I'm making the tightest truly carved telemark turns I have ever made on skis. The softer flex contributes to this. Absolutely wonderful shit-eating-grin kind of skiing. The spectacular corn snow helped. And my light weight. And that turning is what they do best since they flop around bombing at Mach-looney. And the fact I'm skiing better than I have ever been before. But maybe that's the skis again? Nomad Nomad Nomad Nomad Nomad Nomad

OH MY:
I HAVE DA FEVAH

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm
Also the graphics are SICK. At first I was a little "ah whatever" but now I love them! They are so moody and mysterious and it just works with the pueblo and petroglyphs.
Graphics have that New Mexico vibe going on.

Never owned skis with graphics I truly hated. If not love at first sight, I always grew to love my gear. However... 1994 Ford Tempo, never grew to love that jalopy. Cold weather driving, was always able to get in the mountains, but many times was not able to get out.

Lasiocarpa

Post by Lasiocarpa » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:08 am

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to pick up a pair if I see a good deal.