Rustler 9 resort ski review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Rustler 9 resort ski review

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Well, I have a few days on the Rustler 9 at 164cm.
They are Atomic Vantage 85 CTI skis (which some may be familiar with) that have been to the gym…..not “quite” on steroids. They are slightly wider all over, but with an extra couple of mm on the tail and a bit stiffer as well.

The mounting point is slightly (maybe 1 - 2 cm) forward of where it is on the Atomics, or the Rossi's, but very proportional to what they are on my Rustler 10's.

It had gotten to the point that my Atomics couldn’t quite hold a hard carve, as they probably have accumulated broken wood and carbon fibers. The Rossignol 84 AI ski filled that position.
Also, the Rossi’s will still operate as my ski for those rare days between storms where the moguls have really set up, but they will no longer be needed on "carve" days.

The Rustler 9 has a tighter turn radius than the Atomics - almost 84 AI levels when really laid over - and you can really see it in action on groomers. They are pretty stiff and as such, they store energy from the edge set really well and give it back to you with a rewarding “POP!” at the end of the turn. I think they are a good replacement for the Atomics. They have a slightly narrower “sweet spot” of weight distribution on the front ski, but they do have better edge grip and more energy (partly because they’re new) and I think that they probably will be better in deeper or heavier snow than the Atomics, just because they are 5 or 6mm wider throughout at the same length.

Skiing switch, the wider tail engages a bit earlier, which was a shock at first, but helps make it possible to really engage the edge and carry speed with more confidence.

They overlap into EXP 84AI performance territory a bit more than the Atomics, which does reduce the need for one ski (the rossi's) in my quiver.

This was a carved turn on them they other day, early, before the snow softened up. One of those days where the run seemed covered by ice cubes which deflected the 84 AI's more than these skis.

A bit too much weight on that trailing (inside) ski, but these things TURN!
The slightly greater width also feels as though it keeps the side of my boots off the snow when really leaned over. Since I don’t have riser plates, or plan to get any, I think a slightly wider ski is the answer to a problem I didn’t know existed with narrower skis.
20210403_091823AA.jpg

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Rustler 9 resort ski review

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm

Nice review. Sounds like fun.
Whenever I think of Blizzard, my mind always defaults to these graphics...
Blizzard.png

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Back when it was pronounced bli-ZARD'.
Now the young'uns pronounce it like it's a heavy snow storm!

ScootMaBoot

Post by ScootMaBoot » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:18 pm

"The mounting point is slightly (maybe 1 - 2 cm) forward of where it is on the Atomics, or the Rossi's, but very proportional to what they are on my Rustler 10's."

Do you still have the skis? Could you tell me where they are mounted?