The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Post by Johnny » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 pm
I'm going to need another Rabb or FT62 to mount these on so I can do objective side-by-side reviews. dammmmiittttt
I suppose you understand certain forum users enthusiasm now? ;)

lilcliffy wrote:Although the rigidity of the binding attachment on the Xplore binding might improve downhill power transfer and edging- I don't see how a boot as soft-flexing as the Guard is going to offer anything more downhill than it does on the NNNBC platform...
You are right... The same XPlore boot is not going to offer much more than its NNN-BC equivalent...
Except for this: ;)

- More power and more control
- A new sense of freedom like you never felt before
- Step in function
- Swappable flexors
- A 20% weight reduction (!!!)
- Integrated climbing bars

Nick BC wrote:I wish Rottefella luck with the new Xplore, as I have enjoyed their many different bindings over the years (more than I care to remember :shock: ) but I wonder if it will unseat the competition?
There is no competition. Because there is no other XC binding on the market that offers that much control, at such a superlight weight. 8-)

riel wrote:That should work great, IF the soles actually transmit the power the skier exerts all the way to the front of the boots.
Wait, are you insinuating that Rottefella, who has been making telemark binding for almost 100 years, would come out with a new product that is not right? A new binding that is "less good" than the 32yo NNN-BC? :lol:

Rottefella XPLORE Soles.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:37 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 am
Nick BC wrote:I wish Rottefella luck with the new Xplore, as I have enjoyed their many different bindings over the years (more than I care to remember :shock: ) but I wonder if it will unseat the competition?
There is no competition. Because there is no other XC binding on the market that offers that much control, at such a superlight weight. 8-)
The current competition is Voile 75mm, otherwise just Rottefella's own 75mm and NNN-BC, and possibly lightweight tech-binding/boots. Salomon SNS XADV is gone. Are there any I have forgotten?

I'm curious if a lightweight tech binding with flexor could work as well as Xplore. I think the boots would easily accept tech inserts instead of the Xplore pins, so the boot cost would be about the same and investment would be low for the boot manufacturers. The complexity would be in the binding and the cost for the system a bit higher, but they would avoid licensing fees to Rottefella. I think Rottefella has some leeway on pricing, so it would not be easy to compete with Xplore. I would prefer an open system as that promotes innovation and competition, but understand Rottefella's need to make money :-P Xplore looks very nice, and I will most likely mount it on 1-2 pair of skis and a pair of skates this fall as my 75mm Asolo Morgedal needs replacing.

Also a nice picture of the soles show a bit more than earlier, but still not the Xplore mechanism. I get happy just looking at the rubber soles with a proper pattern.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:24 am

telerat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:37 am
I'm curious if a lightweight tech binding with flexor could work as well as Xplore. I think the boots would easily accept tech inserts instead of the Xplore pins, so the boot cost would be about the same and investment would be low for the boot manufacturers.
Exactly what I had in mind before the XPlore was unveiled. Because again, it's exactly what the XPlore is, only with with a new proprietary design... Basically, a Dynafit P49 toe with flexors... Rottefella style.

I would prefer an open system as that promotes innovation and competition, but understand Rottefella's need to make money
Exactly the main reason why we got the XPLORE instead of something else. With some sort of urge to come out with something before hobbyists do... Exactly like what happened with NTN and TTS in the last decade... No big thread though, as it seems the creative geniuses and hobbyists don't have much interest in the XCD side of telemark...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:58 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:13 am
It's poor technique. Keep the ball-of-foot down.
I never used a techy/pivoty toe before.
Understand flexing the boot is of importance, as opposed to "tip-toeing" it.

Just wondering... do boots designed for pivoting toes typically have softer flex/bellows as opposed to boots with hard-fastened toes?

If not, then seems like it would be more difficult to actually flex the boot at the right spot. Probably not a huge issue for leathers / synthetics, but maybe more of an issue for stiffer molded outer shells?

Rainbow83
Ski style: XC racer learning Tele and exploring XCD
Favorite Skis: Current XCD/Tele Quiver includes: USGI Asnes MT65, Fischer Voodoo, K2 Super Stinx
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Post by Rainbow83 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:21 am

To address the point Johnny made about the release mechanism for the bumpers, how it's a tiny tab you need to use your fingernail to push, I think I may have a better method. Just use your pole tip. That's how I've always done it when I needed to adjust the position of my IFP bindings on my xc skis. Those use a little tab that also needs to be pushed and requires quite a lot of resistance, and it's a pain in the ass to do it with a fingertip. It's way easier if you just take one pole off, choke up on it near the end, and use the pointy steel tip to push the tab.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Johnny wrote:
riel wrote:That should work great, IF the soles actually transmit the power the skier exerts all the way to the front of the boots.
Wait, are you insinuating that Rottefella, who has been making telemark binding for almost 100 years, would come out with a new product that is not right? A new binding that is "less good" than the 32yo NNN-BC? :lol:
I'm saying that Rottefella ships the lower sole of the boots, and with 75mm, NNN, and NNN-BC much of the stiffness of the boot has had to come from the midsole and the construction of the upper boot.

If the lower sole of XPlore is totally different than the 75mm, NNN, and NNN-BC soles that boot manufacturers are used to, they might have a harder time getting buy-in for the new platform, since the boot manufacturers would have to redesign the upper part of their boots.

On the flip side, if the XPlore soles are similar enough to 75mm and NNN-BC that they can just be integrated into boots like the Alfa Guard and Alpina Alaska, then the system may not provide enough control because the boot is only attached at the far front, and not under the entire ball of the foot, or at the rear (with a cable).

Now if they figured out some magic in-between thing that can both just be integrated into existing boot designs AND improves control over skis, that would be quite something.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Haven't decided yet whether it's more caution or more optimism :)
Last edited by riel on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm

Does this system even need to be superior to 75mm or nnn to find a place in the market? The light weight and ability to use the same boots for skating and snowshoeing should be enough. Add in the step in feature and a boot that doesn't have a duckbill or bar to affect walking.

If they have a boot for every type of XCDer and they are priced comparable to what is already available they should find a place in the market.

I don't see a need for any type of cable attachment for the heel. It sounds like the stiff flexor should do the same thing as a cable by increasing tip pressure.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm

riel wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Johnny wrote:

On the flip side, if the XPlore soles are similar enough to 75mm and NNN-BC that they can just be integrated into boots like the Alfa Guard an Alpina Alaska, then the system may not provide enough control because the boot is only attached at the far front, and not under the entire ball of the foot, or at the rear (with a cable).

I'm cautiously optimistic. Haven't decided yet whether it's more caution or more optimism :)
The stiff flexor should enable you to flex the boot, it's up to the skier to put weight on it.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:06 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm
riel wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:29 pm
On the flip side, if the XPlore soles are similar enough to 75mm and NNN-BC that they can just be integrated into boots like the Alfa Guard an Alpina Alaska, then the system may not provide enough control because the boot is only attached at the far front, and not under the entire ball of the foot, or at the rear (with a cable).

The stiff flexor should enable you to flex the boot, it's up to the skier to put weight on it.
It's about the flexing and twisting in the boot, and a balance of the flexing and twisting of the upper boot with that of the outer sole.

For example, the NNN-BC Alpina Alaska is a highly regarded boot, which affords the user a lot of control over their skis, and which also happens to be pretty durable, and have good kick and glide performance.

That exact same boot, with a floppier Vibram 75mm sole? People are reporting some issues with the sole detaching, and the boot not providing as much control over the ski as the NNN-BC version.

I don't know if any part of the boot was redesigned to make it work well with whatever properties the XPlore sole has, or whether the XPlore sole just happens to already match what it needs to work well with the Alpina Alaska.

The same will be true for an XPlore sole integrated into a much softer boot, like those made by Alfa. Can the boots retain their kick and glide properties when a stiffer XPlore sole is integrated, or is the XPlore sole relatively soft?

On 75mm and NNN-BC, the softness of the sole desired for kick and glide can be complemented with either cables (which also provide lateral control), or with the NNN-BC grooves that allow a larger part of the boot to be used to control the skis.

With XPlore, all the performance needs to come from the sole of the boot. Can the sole be simultaneously rigid enough to provide better control than NNN-BC or 75mm, while still being flexible enough for good kick and glide? Will that sole "just work" when integrated into existing boots?

Maybe they figured it all out, and there is some magic in the flex pattern of the sole that makes it work, but I'm going to wait and see...

UtahBrian
Ski style: Backpacking, but on skis. Deep powder wilderness.
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98

Post by UtahBrian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm
The light weight

The XPLORE boot + binding appears to be heavier than NNN-BC.

Alfa Vista boot 815g (XPLORE, 43)
Alfa Guard boot 725g (NNN-BC ,42)

NNN-BC auto binding 430g
XPLORE bindings 378g
ability to use the same boots for skating and snowshoeing
NNN-BC boots are good for snowshoeing, too. Neither will work as ice skates.
if…they are priced comparable to what is already available
Announced prices indicate that XPLORE boots and bindings will start above US$1000. Maybe well above.

Top quality (Alpina Alaska or Alfa Guard) boots and bindings for NNN-BC can be had for under US$400 new.