The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Ira

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Post by Ira » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:41 am

Thanks for the great info everyone!

For those who have tried the Skaget, I'd love to know how it performs with kick-and-glide, fore-aft flexibility, lateral stability, as well as control.

Would love to hear a comparison of the Skaget, the Free, and the Vista Advance.

@telerat @randoskier -- would love to hear your experiences with the Skaget. I was considering the Free but it might be too stiff for good kick and glide (plus too expensive for what I'm doing).

Just got the XPLORE bindings but not yet the boots!

Thanks!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:25 am

Ira wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:41 am
Thanks for the great info everyone!

For those who have tried the Skaget, I'd love to know how it performs with kick-and-glide, fore-aft flexibility, lateral stability, as well as control.

Would love to hear a comparison of the Skaget, the Free, and the Vista Advance.

@telerat @randoskier -- would love to hear your experiences with the Skaget. I was considering the Free but it might be too stiff for good kick and glide (plus too expensive for what I'm doing).

Just got the XPLORE bindings but not yet the boots!

Thanks!
It might be awhile Ira! My wife is having a helluva time trying to locate a pair of Fischer Excusrion 88s in 169cm to mount them on! The Fischer factory fire was almost 1.5 years ago you would think by now they would have some stock somewhere in some market but trying to find the Traverse 78 or Excursion 88 is currently mission impossible.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:10 pm

I don't think REI understands what this binding is. which makes me worried that they didn't order Xplore boots. It's listed under Alpine Touring Bindings. and the link in the response to this persons question below takes you to their AT boots.

2022-01-04 13_06_35-Rottefella Xplore Backcountry Ski Bindings _ REI Co-op.png

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:45 pm

RabbitEars wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:10 pm
I don't think REI understands what this binding is. which makes me worried that they didn't order Xplore boots. It's listed under Alpine Touring Bindings. and the link in the response to this persons question below takes you to their AT boots.

2022-01-04 13_06_35-Rhttps://www.telemarktalk.com/download/file.php? ... 4ottefella Xplore Backcountry Ski Bindings _ REI Co-op.png
That is simply ridiculous.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Post by FrenchFred » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:01 pm

As I said.
NNNBC is not dead for xcD ! :twisted: ;)

But Xplore seems to be really great !
Fred

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Hello, I'm indeed based in Trøndelag (Trondheim) and got to test the Xplore binding and my Alfa Skaget on 4 short tours (3-5 km each) in cold soft snow (powder, -5°C to -15°C) during Christmas and New Year.

I mounted the bindings on my Fischer E109 skis, which was mounted with Rottefella 75mm with cable before. I reused two holes and since the supplied screws are 16 mm and a bit short compared to the earlier screws used with Super Telemark and plates, I have done a preliminary mount. With 4 screws in front I have no doubt that the short screws will be enough when mounting from scratch, but the mounting instructions also describe 22 mm screws so I'll switch out the screws later to fill the holes. Rottefella support said that they are prioritizing bindings and didn't know when the longer screws will be available, but also said that the accessories (hard flex and free pivot plate?) will be available mid January.

Stepping into the binding fails regularly but not often, so I have started to test/flex the connection before starting to ski to avoid the ski sliding away from me. The interface should have been better and I'm tempted to try using a round file to improve the guiding channels into the steel reinforced holes a bit, but the high price of the binding holds me back.

There is another small doubt though in my mind about Xplore system also; one of the spring pins in my boot has stiction even after using oil on it, while the three others are fine, so I might have to return the boots. One pin on each boot also froze on the first day out and I thus felt resistance when pushing down on the release. I didn't push too hard, but the boots still released on one side and I could then get them out of the bindings. Using the tip of a pole to release would likely have worked too. When I stepped into the bindings again right afterwards the pins was working fine again. This was with new boots coming from inside temperature out into cold snow.

I'm also looking forward to testing the hard flex later, both for skiing and turning. The updated test in Utemagasinet says that even the lighter skier (65kg) preferred the hard flex for skiing and P.T. Gamme wanted an even firmer flex. I think the normal/medium flex works fine for my touring skates, but the heavy may be better for skiing as the weight of the ski is much higher than of the skates. The normal flex has been improved since the prototype, with greater height and width, and gives resistance from the start (unlike earlier when you had to lift the heel a bit), so they are more satisfied with the production binding.

A short comment on the Alfa Skaget boots. It fits my foot well and is sufficiently warm for my feet. The heel pocket is smaller than my previous boots (Asolo Morgedal), but seems to work fine. The padding around the ankle joint felt excessive at first, but was nice in use. The support is quite a bit better than, and kick-and-glide/fore-aft flexibility is good and similar to, my old boot. I think this is as close to a perfect boot for my skiing as I can get. For steeper tours with skin ascent to a top and skiing down afterwards, a boot like the Alfa Free would probably be preferable, and for long (multi day) tours in cold weather the Alfa Vista might be the best option.

Skiing performance was good. The play in the binding interface from 75mm is gone and the flex engaging at once feels nice even if it's not very strong. I didn't get many turns in the deep snow and rather flat terrain at Røros, but the shoes and bindings gave better control than 75 mm 3-pins and the old shoes. I think it will be good, and although no revolution from NNN-BC or 75 mm, it will hopefully be a nicer system in use. Rottefella has stated that this is an addition and will not replace BC or 75, which will continue to work just as good as before. Gamme even hoped that new bindings and shoes for those systems would improve with the competition from Xplore. I'm not that optimistic and expect Rottefella to focus their resources on that system instead and the options to dwindle over time if Xplore is successful. If the soles on Xplore, NNN-BC and possibly 75mm are compatible with the same uppers, then options will probably exist for a long time. Predictions are hard though, especially about the future. ;)

I'll update when I get more experience and if my impression/opinion change. Enjoy using what you have that works for you and change that which don't. :)

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:27 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:45 pm
RabbitEars wrote:

2022-01-04 13_06_35-Rhttps://www.telemarktalk.com/download/file.php? ... 4ottefella Xplore Backcountry Ski Bindings _ REI Co-op.png
Their link from the "not available" Excursion 88 takes you to Alpine skis last I looked.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:30 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:27 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:45 pm
RabbitEars wrote:

Their link from the "not available" Excursion 88 takes you to Alpine skis last I looked. REI has been increasingly useless since 1995-ish. Sierra Trading since the Jesus freaks in Cheyenne sold it is now completely useless.

Ira

Post by Ira » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm

Hi, I just talked to REI customer service and when I asked about XPLORE compatible boots they sent me this link for XP boots:
https://www.rei.com/product/179295/apex ... s-20212022

(not in my size, and too stiff/plastic for me)

They said they requested other XP boots, but have no idea if and when they'll get them.

They said "I am also finding a Crispi XP Telemark Boot with zero product information, however the smallest size listed is for Mondo 26."

I don't actually know if these are XPLORE compatible since XP can mean many things, so I'd recommend researching these first -- they seem to be downhill boots

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:33 pm

Ira wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm
Hi, I just talked to REI customer service and when I asked about XPLORE compatible boots they sent me this link for XP boots:
https://www.rei.com/product/179295/apex ... s-20212022

(not in my size, and too stiff/plastic for me)

They said they requested other XP boots, but have no idea if and when they'll get them.

They said "I am also finding a Crispi XP Telemark Boot with zero product information, however the smallest size listed is for Mondo 26."

I don't actually know if these are XPLORE compatible since XP can mean many things, so I'd recommend researching these first -- they seem to be downhill boots
The incompetency is staggering.