The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Post by Woodserson » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 pm
:idea:
bgregoire wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 am
I am not planning to get the new system but, @Johnny , you will be proud of me that I finally jumped in the NNN-BC bandwagon. I was finally reimbursed after tearing through 2 pairs of Alaska 75 in a short period of time so I decided to go the NNN-BC way for most of my skis.
Did you not just get the most awesome pair of 75mm leathers ever, the rarer than a dodo eggs' Zenith? Why then this sudden switch to NNN. Have you been struck by lighting or contracted yet another forn of GAS?
Good one Benjamin :lol: . I am not getting ride of all my 75mm binding and certainly not my Zenith :shock:. I just took the opportunity to buy the NNN-BC Alaska as the 75mm keeps breaking and I love those boots I will use NNN for my narrower skis…. for now :D
What size Zenith did you get

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm

Hmm. . . I was holding out for this binding to put on my new skis this season but I'm feeling more skeptical. Asnes promo videos seem to show it's potential but Rotta's promo cause me to think that the hard piece for downhill might be too soft for good control. Looks like I will be making the change to NNNBC as I can't find good 75mm boots that fit me NNN has a lot more options and I am committing to soft boots for XCD.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:11 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 pm
bgregoire wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Why then this sudden switch to NNN. Have you been struck by lighting or contracted yet another forn of GAS?
It's called ENLIGHTENMENT.
It happens after many years of practice and hard work... or suddenly, by the grace of God.

RabbitEars wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm
Rotta's promo cause me to think that the hard piece for downhill might be too soft for good control.
No one ever complained about the super-soft black flexors on NNN-BC... And yet it's my favorite #1 XCD binding for everything. I don't see why it should be different here. Well, it could be from my first taste of the XPLORE system. I have been NNNing downhill on soft NNN-BC for years without complain... On the contrary, I have been praising NNN for downhill since day 1, even without hard pieces... 8-)

My guess is that it will depend on the boot, the skier itself and the skier's expectations. Obviously, Rotte picked their skiers for their smiles, not their skills.

The best way to achieve good control is by practice. Relying on the gear will only postpone progress. 8-)

SOFT IS COOOOL...!!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 am

Rotefella's website shows that the new boots and bindings will be available after Nov 1, and Sport Albert has a listing for the Alfa Vista and Alfa Free. 449 Euros for the Vista and 599 for the Free. Yowzah!!!

https://www.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-co ... nction=Any

https://www.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-co ... 42_p.dpage

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:54 am

Tom M wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 am
Rotefella's website shows that the new boots and bindings will be available after Nov 1, and Sport Albert has a listing for the Alfa Vista and Alfa Free. 449 Euros for the Vista and 599 for the Free. Yowzah!!!

https://www.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-co ... nction=Any

https://www.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-co ... 42_p.dpage
Tom, please remind us which boot you have demoed.

Also a simple question, does this system offer you more downhill control than NNN-BC?

How does the control compare to 75 mm?
How does the control compare to 75 mm/cable?

I don’t think any other binding comparison would be appropriate as anything more than 75 mm and a light cable doesn’t offer additional downhill control while wearing a leather boot.

Thank you

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:54 am

Tom, please remind us which boot you have demoed.

Also a simple question, does this system offer you more downhill control than NNN-BC?

How does the control compare to 75 mm?
How does the control compare to 75 mm/cable?

I don’t think any other binding comparison would be appropriate as anything more than 75 mm and a light cable doesn’t offer additional downhill control while wearing a leather boot.

Thank you
I was able to get out last May on a set of Alpina Alaska XP boots / Alpina Discovery Skis for a couple of outings. I posted my initial impressions on my Youtube channel, but I need more time on the snow with this system. The Alpina system I tested worked great for typical XC touring. Like many, what I'm most interested in is the moderate terrain downhill performance, and for a more complete evaluation, I would like test the new binding/boots on a ski that I am most familiar with. I'd like to ski the Xplore and 75 mm combinations, one right after the other, maybe even one system on one foot and the other on the other foot. I'll have to wait to see what becomes available in December.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:27 pm

These look good to me: https://m.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-coun ... 42_p.dpage

I'm actually hoping that there will be a BC version
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 pm

RabbitEars wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm
Rotta's promo cause me to think that the hard piece for downhill might be too soft for good control.
Johnny wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:11 am
No one ever complained about the super-soft black flexors on NNN-BC... And yet it's my favorite #1 XCD binding for everything. I don't see why it should be different here. Well, it could be from my first taste of the XPLORE system. I have been NNNing downhill on soft NNN-BC for years without complain... On the contrary, I have been praising NNN for downhill since day 1, even without hard pieces... 8-)

My guess is that it will depend on the boot, the skier itself and the skier's expectations. Obviously, Rotte picked their skiers for their smiles, not their skills.

The best way to achieve good control is by practice. Relying on the gear will only postpone progress. 8-)

SOFT IS COOOOL...!!!
@Johnny Thanks for putting this in perspective for me. I have been skiing on the Alpina Montana 75mm two sizes too big and Volie 3pin with no wire. Talk about a floppy set up. Even with such a soft and supple set up I have still managed to learn how to K&G and even turn. So just about anything is an improvement over what I have. I'm over 75mm, I can never find a good fitting boot that fits my size 13 foot. NNNBC has a lot more options for boots and would even probably allow me to demo more skis or loan my skis to someone else. I am still interested in the xplore but cost and seeing that it might be iffy to get bindings and boots before the snow flies might just make me to fully commit to NNNBC.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:06 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:27 pm
These look good to me: https://m.sportalbert.de/alfa-back-coun ... 42_p.dpage
I'm actually hoping that there will be a BC version
Alfa Skaget is the most interesting of the Xplore boots so far to me, both sufficiently high and also the cheapest, and I'm very curious on the support and comfort. I think a BC version would sell well, but I don't have BC and will buy the XP anyway as long as the boot fits. I hope it will replace my old 75mm boots on Fischer E109 eventually, but it will first be used on my new Åsnes Ousland skis and for ice tour skating.

Alfa Vista Advance has proper leather, but is lower and more expensive. Alfa Free A/P/S is an expensive boot which I have problems placing; It's light and not very warm, with boa and have the best support of any Alfa boot tested so far; A spring touring boot for steeper terrain, possibly with a long flat start and ice tour skating?

I don't like the lacing system on Alpina Alaska regular or XP (nor the color), and the XP is lower. That is surly good for fast XC skiing, but for descents and moderately fast/long tours I'd think a bit higher is better. (The Alpina Alaska Heat has the lacing system I'd want, but is a bit high and I don't need or want heating.)

The binding is rather expensive and a bit of barrier for entry into this system. The latest videos show flex engagement from flat, which was a worry earlier for me. Getting a binding system with no play and good stability, with easy entry and exit and also shoes with a proper rubber sole for walking is very tempting.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:04 pm

I have a simple question, if the pins are more forward mounted on the boot, would the pin line than be forward of say BP on a more traditional ski?
I really am surprised the question has not yet been asked. I mean if you order new boots, new bindings, maybe a new ski, you need to know if recommendations for mounting change.