Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore Ski Review

Post by Johnny » Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 am

Alpina Pioneer 80 Ski Rottefella XPlore review.jpg

The Pioneer 80 is Alpina's next year's all-terrain backcountry ski. But I was lucky enough to receive a pair of 196cm in the mail! Woaaah! Of course I had already seen the picture on the web a few weeks before, and I remember my very first impression was "Wow, at last, a ski with nice cosmetics!!!" And no, it's not fake wood, it's real wood! Just like the Discovery 80's clear top sheets, but without the red paint... So cool!

I was really delighted when I received the skis, they are really beautiful. Natural and simple. No useless graphics. But I was not super excited, thinking they were just yet-another-ski with fishscales. Nothing ultra-special, nothing extraordinary, nothing groundbreaking. Just beautiful, very nice Alpina planks. Well, to be honest, I was more excited about the XPlore bindings that came on it! So they stayed in the kitchen for a few days... (all the other rooms being overloaded with skis already.) I would touch and flex them several times a day, a real pleasure for the eyes, and a real pleasure for any skier's right hemisphere. But then I took them for a ride. Woo! It only took a few kicks and I was totally in love!

According to Alpina, the upcoming Pioneer 80 ski is "The perfect choice for skiers that demand stability, control and edge grip in the ungroomed terrain. Full metal edges provide grip when you need to head downhill or control when you need to traverse across steeper terrain. The camber design aides in flotation and issues easier maneuvering when you need to change course. The skis will be equipped with a new Rottefella Xplore™ mountain ski binding system that provides better mobility when walking and more stability."

Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore.jpg

On snow, the ski is flying. It's really fast for a backcountry ski of that class. I find it faster than the Ingstad. In fact, with a nice sidecut of 80-58-69, it's quite similar to the Ingstad (84-64-74). The sidecut is also similar to the Madshus Eon ( 83-62-70 ) the Rossignol BC 80 (80-60-70) and the Fischer Traverse 78 ( 78-61-69 ). I would be curious to see the difference between the Pioneer and the Discovery 80, which seems identical... (Reinforced mounting area for XPlore bindings perhaps?) Unfortunately, there isn't much information about Alpina products on their website, as it always been the case...

They are a bit straighter, having a longer radius that the Ingstad. Tracking in powder in very fast, and these beasts are going straight ahead, never wiggling a bit. I'm not 100% sure if this is due to the ski or the XPlore bindings, but the feeling is amazing! I have never seen a ski going that straight with such a sidecut profile. Very impressive! And yes, they also have REAL tips for real powder skiing...!

The flex is actually similar to the Ingstad too but with a few differences. First, the camber strength and height is similar, but the Pioneer seems to have a slightly stronger "wax pocket". (It's quite small, I wouldn't call it a second camber). With the same about of force, there is like a 1mm pocket on the Pioneer that I can't crush completely. They do have a bit of nordic rocker, but not as much as the Ingstad. Imagine an Ingstad ski but with the camber of the Nansen, or the original non-NR'ed Combat NATO. Quite similar to the Rossignol BC 80 in terms of flex, but with a bit of that famous FT68-style "Marked Chamber"... ; )

The simple waxless pattern is very efficient. The pattern length is much longer than on the Asnes WL line, offering better grip, especially for my 130lbs at 6'. Maybe that is also why I feel they go so fast! The Ingstad is obviously optimized for glide, while the Pioneer is optimized for grip. See picture below... Yes, you're right, it's grip wax that you have noticed on the Ingstad... 8-) )

Asnes Ingstad vs Alpina Pioneer 80 waxless pattern.jpg
The 196cm Alpina Pioneer on top, and the 205cm Asnes Ingstad at the bottom, both aligned at balance point.

I use the Ingstad for exploring the woods, when I want to take a walk in the forest with skis on, when performance is not involved. The new Pioneer will be even better for this, meaning I can explore a bit further and faster! And I think this is exactly what the Pioneer was designed for. (That said, I can't wait to compare them with other XPlore-equipped skis of that class!) The dimensions of the Pioneer are a perfect compromise for a perfect mix of speed, stability and flotation. They are Alpina's only skis that will come pre-mounted with XPlore bindings, meaning this is really the perfect combination. At only 1045g at 196cm, they are lighter than the Traverse 78 and the Eon. Same weight as the Rossignol BC 80 and just a few more grams than the Ingstad (1025g)

Really, it's a very nice surprise for me. (Or should I say a nice discovery?) I knew I was already in love with the Pioneer cosmetically, but I was not expecting to love it that much on snow! A fast 4x4 backcountry tool for any terrain. The Alpina Pioneer 80 + Rottefella XPlore combo is a total blast. The perfect 4WD machinery for backcountry exploration and an explosive arsenal for traversing down your favorite 4,000 footer.

pioneer80.jpg

UPDATE December 30th, 2021

Just a few more words about these beauties... Even at 196cm, they offer MUCH better grip than the WL Ingstad and Nansen, while also offering better glide and being much faster! They go straighter too. In fact, I think I'm beginning to like them better than the Asnes ones... A really fascinating ski... Quite a winner for Alpina, and a perfect match for XPlore bindings... And most importantly, at almost half the price of Asnes skis!

After using different skis with the XP bindings, I realize that a significant part of my stoke about the XPlore system came from the Pioneer 80 ski itself! 8-)

UPDATE February 19th, 2022

Although I have 100+ pairs of skis, I find myself using the Alpina Pioneer 80 more than 50% of the time! (Another 25% is on the MR48s, the other 25% on other various tools) TOTALLY different stats compared to the previous years! So I thought perhaps this was worth yet another update on that ski!

Very surprising those little Pioneers. Faster than the rest for touring, and a perfect waxless pattern offering both perfect glide and perfect grip under all conditions. And as soon as there are a few inches of new snow, it makes a great downhill powder ski as well! A bit hard to turn because of its camber on hard snow (Who the hell is skiing on hard snow?!?), but soooo smooth, awesome and easy to turn in powder! First, tour a little to get some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors, then find your favorite spot for a quick meditation. Then head for your favorite hill: Climb, dance-and-turn, and repeat. My new favorite waxless ski for touring!

No bling bling, no new special features, no flashy top sheets, no exotic camber or sidecut, no trendy ambassador, just a great, solid, all-around backcountry ski. I really have no arguments or evidences to support my find. I am just sharing my joy here. The Pioneer has nothing futuristic or innovative. But somehow, no matter the conditions or where I go, I find myself picking up the Alpina 80's most of the time when I go out the door. Yep, I really really love that one!

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore Ski Review

Post by Woodserson » Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm

Nice to see the longer lengths are coming back!

Can we get scale length in cm's and a pic of rocker with skis compressed?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 pm

The Pioneer 80 looks nice.
I was wanting something like the Traverse 78 for next year, but this might be a better choice?
Also wondering if there will be an economy of scale, what with the new binding being bundled with the skis?
Might be a less expensive way to get a good ski, AND the new XPlore binding as a package?
The cosmetics are a nice change -- fake wood, but still a nice look.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 am

Stephen wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 pm
The Pioneer 80 looks nice.
I was wanting something like the Traverse 78 for next year, but this might be a better choice?
Also wondering if there will be an economy of scale, what with the new binding being bundled with the skis?
Might be a less expensive way to get a good ski, AND the new XPlore binding as a package?
The cosmetics are a nice change -- fake wood, but still a nice look.
I don't know about "better" but I would certainly say "comparable." The T78 class is a good 1-ski and I'm happy to see more options for people. Good on Alpina (and the longer length)

I think you're on to something with the economy of scale idea. Do the heel pieces come mounted? What about boot length?

I'd insert the shit out of those bindings and just use them on a bunch of different skis.

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Thu May 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 am
Stephen wrote:
I'd insert the shit out of those bindings and just use them on a bunch of different skis.
Shhh, they might make them non-removable...
:shock:

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:18 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 am
Stephen wrote:
Shhh, they might make them non-removable...
:shock:
But I’d buy a bunch I have so many skis and I swap 3x a day. (Truth, ask Reil)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Stephen wrote:
Certainly a nice marketing strategy, but yep, it should be a win-win situation for both parties. Now what about a super-ultra bundle of Pioneer + bindings + Alaska XP boots for around 700$? 8-)

Woodserson wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm
I should have known you would ask...
I somehow forgot you had the biggest technical details database in the galaxy... 8-)

1- The waxless pattern is 80cm long. Which means the ski is 40.8% fishscaled. Do you want me to calculate the ratio using the effective edge length? With both weighted and unweighted length? 8-)

2- Nordic Rocker is about 12cm from the uncompressed contact point. See picture below.

3- Are you telling me you NEED new skis? 8-)

_IMG_0148.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm
I should have known you would ask...
I somehow forgot you had the biggest technical details database in the galaxy... 8-)

1- The waxless pattern is 80cm long. Which means the ski is 40.8% fishscaled. Do you want me to calculate the ratio using the effective edge length? With both weighted and unweighted length? 8-)

2- Nordic Rocker is about 12cm from the uncompressed contact point. See picture below.

3- Are you telling me you NEED new skis? 8-)

_IMG_0148.jpg
Dude brother I can't get enough of the nitty gritty details I just LOVE IT.

Ok so 10cm less pattern than the Offtrack Crown, with similar camber and rocker. The subtle rocker is the way to go with this chassis. I bet this is a winner of a ski on par with the T78. Nice job, Alpina!

(Though I absolutely hate being forced into a ski+binding system, I like choices. Remember the Salomon Pilot? But Rott has been doing this with their NNN bindings recently too... I think it's BS. Offer the package but also offer the ski flat. I get slimey capitalist vibes when companies do this.)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu May 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm
Stephen wrote:
Certainly a nice marketing strategy, but yep, it should be a win-win situation for both parties. Now what about a super-ultra bundle of Pioneer + bindings + Alaska XP boots for around 700$? 8-)
That sounds pretty tempting...
Assuming that would be this fall?
I would want to try the fit for boots first, which might or might not work, timing wise.
The Alaska BC was just a bit narrow for me, and I didn’t know if it would stretch and conform to my wide (but low-volume) feet.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Thu May 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 am
The simple waxless pattern is very efficient. The pattern length is much longer than on the Asnes WL line, offering better grip, especially for my 130lbs at 6'. Maybe that is also why I feel they go so fast! The Ingstad is obviously optimized for glide, while the Pioneer is optimized for grip. See picture below... Yes, you're right, it's grip wax that you have noticed on the Ingstad... 8-) )
Sounds like a ski that is very close to the Alpina Discovery 80 as made prior to 2018 in the Fischer factory. I have a pair of those, and used them a lot until I got the Ingstad skis and decided I wanted to put 100 miles on those in their first season :)

Next year I'll probably use both again on a more equal basis, though the Ingstad seems to have better torsional rigidity than the T78 / 2018 Alpina Discovery 80. I'm naming them both in one breath here since Woodserson and I compared his T78s with my 2018 Alpina Discovery 80 skis side by side, and they appear to be identical.

After Alpina moved from the Fischer factory to the Sporten factory, the flex and skier weight specifications for the Discovery 80 totally changed. I assume the Pioneer brings it back closer to what it used to be.

As for the fishscale pattern, I know Asnes may have tried to optimize their waxless pattern for glide, but I'm not convinced they got that quite right. First, you and others seem to get significant extra traction by adding some kick wax in front of the fishscales. That is a part of the ski that does not touch the snow much at all during the glide phase, but which does touch the snow very well when kicking the ski down. In other words, Asnes could probably extend their fishscales to that point without adding much in the way of friction at all.

Secondly, pretty much every thread about short skins on this forum has people telling each other how much better the glide of the ski is when the short skin is cut right at the heel, and how little that seems to influence traction. Additionally, the area right behind the heel is where glide wax seems to wear off the ski the quickest. Presumably this is because it is one of the highest friction areas when gliding. That suggests the area under and behind the heel should either not have fishscales, or only shallow ones, while the deep fishscales go quite a ways back on the Asnes skis.

As for the Alpina Sollte fishscale pattern, it seem to result in much better glide than the 90cm Offtrack Crown pattern. This may be due to the second highest friction (as measured by wax wear) part of the ski, which is the area right behind the front contact point where the ski touches the snow when the nordic rocker is compressed. On packed snow, that contact area extends into the front of the Offtrack Crown pattern, while Alpina's fishscale pattern is a little behind that front friction area.

Of course, I have only really looked into that on 188cm Alpina Discovery 80 skis and 205cm Asnes Ingstad waxless skis. Maybe things line up differently on different lengths ski?