The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Re: The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Post by Baaahb » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:31 am

As Tom's partner on the 9 mile trek, I put at least 100 yards on the explor binding! I liked it, especially the elimination of the toe crunch problem of duckbills. Easy in/out and comfortable K&G with the soft bumper. Seemed to have better edge control than BC bindings (eg NNN-BC) but the conditions were not suitable to really test the turn ability. Please send me a pair of my own so I can better check them out. Thx.

Ira

Post by Ira » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:16 am

Thanks for those posts/reviews! I'm excited to try Xplore (I don't do well with NNNBC and hope for at least as much control as 3-pin 75mm but with better K&G). I just bought the Xplore on REI (online), but they don't have the boots.

Does anyone know which US online store has Xplore-compatible boots in size 39 or 40?

Thanks!

raisin'heel

Post by raisin'heel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 am

Yes, please do undelete... all discussion good. I question the superiority of "explore" over 75mm Excursion for downhill!!??

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am

raisin'heel wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 am
Yes, please do undelete... all discussion good. I question the superiority of "explore" over 75mm Excursion for downhill!!??
It would indeed be quite a surprise if the Xplore system with a leather boot proved to be superior to 75 mm and a plastic boot for downhill. If Xplore/leather was superior to 75 mm / plastic I would immediately start switching to Xplore. Imagine notably superior kick and glide, and superior downhill performance to a plastic boot???? That would be incredible!!! Alas, that has yet to be reported.
What I glean is that the Xplore offers at least NNN-BC type performance in XC performance, and reasonably light leather touring boots that offer really good downhill performance, maybe better than equal weight leather 75 mm boots. At least that is what I have gleaned. Perhaps I am mistaken?

KDog
Ski style: Multi-Glisse

Post by KDog » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:43 am

There's a lot in these reviews about the superior K/G and comfort of this boot/binding system, but not much on how they fit other than "they're comfortable and can be laced snug. The questions I have are: What width is the last? 99mm, 102mm? Wide forefoot, narrow? Fits a high volume foot or low? Also, do they fit similarly to the existing Alaskas? In other words, if I try on some Alaska 75mm or BC's, will I know which size Alaska XPlore boot to order from Europe?

Like Ira and Rasin'heel, I too would like the comparison to T4/Excursion class boot downhill performance which is what I ski the most. I have no qualms about going back to leather with the XP system if it's at least close. It doesn't have to be superior for my usage because light and free pivoting sound so good! The Asnes ski video would indicate that it is, but it's hard to tell which boot those rippers are using. Maybe the Alfa Free? I would think that due to the sole being the same on all boots (and stiff according to Johnny), the Alaska should be able to lay down some turns.

Already ordered the binding so there's no turning back now! Just have to find a boot that fits.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 am

I just saw that Alpina Alaska XP has appeared in Norway now, with updated prices and it seems about 30% more expensive than the BC version. I'm not sure how much is due to Covid, but the BC is 4300 NOK and XP is 5500 NOK. This places it slightly below Alfa Free (6000 NOK), while the Alfa Skaget is 3500 NOK and Vista 4500 NOK. The prices from online shops seem to mirror the price differential, but are lower (Alaska 75/BC at ~2900 NOK and XP at 3900 NOK currently).

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:06 am

telerat wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 am
I just saw that Alpina Alaska XP has appeared in Norway now, with updated prices and it seems about 30% more expensive than the BC version. I'm not sure how much is due to Covid, but the BC is 4300 NOK and XP is 5500 NOK. This places it slightly below Alfa Free (6000 NOK), while the Alfa Skaget is 3500 NOK and Vista 4500 NOK. The prices from online shops seem to mirror the price differential, but are lower (Alaska 75/BC at ~2900 NOK and XP at 3900 NOK currently).
The Alaska XP sells for 349 EUR in France that is about 3.500 NOK, you are in the EEA can you not simply order it from France or Germany? Tax is not the difference because your VAT is 25% and it is 20% in France. Shipping (chez Aventure Nordique) is 20 EUR to Norway takes five days. I see the same difference with skis- I just bought my Fischer Excursion 88s in France for 280 EUR (2.800 NOK) they are priced at 5.000 NOK in Norway!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:43 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am
raisin'heel wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 am
It would indeed be quite a surprise if the Xplore system with a leather boot proved to be superior to 75 mm and a plastic boot for downhill. If Xplore/leather was superior to 75 mm / plastic I would immediately start switching to Xplore. Imagine notably superior kick and glide, and superior downhill performance to a plastic boot???? That would be incredible!!! Alas, that has yet to be reported.
What I glean is that the Xplore offers at least NNN-BC type performance in XC performance, and reasonably light leather touring boots that offer really good downhill performance, maybe better than equal weight leather 75 mm boots. At least that is what I have gleaned. Perhaps I am mistaken?
I don't think replacing plastic boots was the intention of the Xplore. According to Rotty it is designed for Nordic touring and extending the range of Nordic back-country touring skiers into more challenging alpine terrain that was not as easily conquered with NNN BC binding, and at the same time they tour much better in the flats than 75mm.

It looks like they succeeded. Not sure yet as my wife has the boots (Alfa Skaget, a HUGE weight reduction for her from her 75mm Svartisens) and the binding- but we still have not located the 169cm Fischer Excursion 88 to slap them on so she has not skied it yet.

Look at their market which is largely based in Sweden and Norway- a lot of people there do long tours in all terrain- this looks like a superb binding for that. I would not want to do a week-long tour in Norway in any plastic boot. I don't see any plastic boots in the cabins when i am distance touring up there unless I run into day-trippers. 20 klicks a day in plastic is not so good on the feets.

These guys are rockin' it and don't seem to miss their 75s and plastic...

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 am

Baaahb wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:31 am
As Tom's partner on the 9 mile trek, I put at least 100 yards on the explor binding! I liked it, especially the elimination of the toe crunch problem of duckbills. Easy in/out and comfortable K&G with the soft bumper. Seemed to have better edge control than BC bindings (eg NNN-BC) but the conditions were not suitable to really test the turn ability. Please send me a pair of my own so I can better check them out. Thx.

Re: The toe crunch problem of the 75mm, it is not just uncomfortable, it is also dangerous (with leather boots anyway).

Four years ago we were skiing in Norway on the stage between Steikvaselv and Umbukta we were on the Grasfjellet in a series of rolling gullies, quite steep and shallow depressions with maybe 30 meter or 40 meter descents in each .

Skiing in a white out my wife went down one fairly fast, the white-out rolled in and visibility ended midway down so she did not see the up-slope on the other side, and also was not aware of her speed which is common in these conditions.

Her skis went straight into the deep new snow on the up-slope and stopped dead, but her body continued forward with the foot stuck in the binding. This caused a Lisfranc fracture in one of her feet.

This fracture is named after Napoleon's surgeon who first diagnosed it- it happened to cavalry riders who fell forward from their horses but their feet remained in the stirrup. It is in the bones on the top of the foot; it is immensely painful, difficult to diagnose, and requires complicated surgery with metal pins.

She got 3-pins and does not appreciate my jokes about 3-pin bindings.

She skied another 150km to finish the tour on her broken foot. After surgery back home (thank you Aviano Air Force Base!) and a long physical therapy after the pin removal; she was fortunate to be able to ski the next season though her foot has distinctly new shape.

Would this fracture have occurred if she was using NNN BC or the Xplore binding?

I do not know. In my estimation I would guess- no.

What do you think?

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am

KDog wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:43 am
Like Ira and Rasin'heel, I too would like the comparison to T4/Excursion class boot downhill performance which is what I ski the most. I have no qualms about going back to leather with the XP system if it's at least close. It doesn't have to be superior for my usage because light and free pivoting sound so good! The Asnes ski video would indicate that it is, but it's hard to tell which boot those rippers are using. Maybe the Alfa Free? I would think that due to the sole being the same on all boots (and stiff according to Johnny), the Alaska should be able to lay down some turns.
I have not skied the Excursions, but I did ski two generations of T4's. The Alpina Alaska XP boot is a great boot, but the upper is still soft leather. The way the Alaska XP's ski is nothing like skiing in plastic. That is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view and your objective. The best way to describe it is that if you can make your current set of 75 mm or NNNBC leathers dance on the snow, then the XP's / Xplore are just a better version of its former self. I had a love / hate relationship with the T4 but in the end we parted ways. The Alfa Free and the Alaska XP boots are very different in design. I'd pick the XP for XCd tours and the Free for xcD tours. For me, the current crop of plastic boots should be reserved for steep and deep downhill skiing, not for touring, and I'm very happy with my T2/Voile Hyper V6 setup.