The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
TeleMarcin

Re: Alpina Alaska XP XPlore Boot review

Post by TeleMarcin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:48 am

According to Norway, the Alfa boots should hit the streets by mid-December. (Every time I asked about the release date, they kept pushing it, so I stopped asking... 8-) )
I have ordered my ALfa Free couple days ago directly at ALfaoutdoor.com as preorder. I have checked today and its written that they gonna send it asap after 10th December. I am also struggling to find Xplore bindings somwhere in European Web shops. My only success with xplore is so far Falketind 62 Xplore - courier delivered them today :D What a beauty!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:35 am

THE XPLORE JOURNAL
December 2, 2021. *TOTALLY* ADDICTED.

10th day on the XPLORE system. A few more important observations. After switching back and forth between XP and BC setups, the difference is even more significant, more obvious. First, as I said, kicking and gliding is really A LOT superior on the XP system. The massive effect of the width between the 2 springpins is even more pronounced when you switch between systems. The XP offers incredible control over 75mm and NNN-BC. It works beautifully and magically with the Fjellski class and even wider skis, where more lateral leverage is needed to keep the ski stable on the snow. And the most magical thing is that is also works wonderfully with skinnier XC skis, which are usually not very stable laterally on the snow. I am not talking about subtle, barely noticeable changes for the elitist here. I am talking about feeling quite sad when I got back on NNN-BC. That little extra fun-factor just wasn't there anymore. The exact, very same tour I just did with the XP system was now more boring on NNN-BC, more tiring, and the skis felt a lot less stable, slightly drifting at every step in a way I had never noticed before. I must confess that I am very, very impressed by the XP system and the Alaska XP boots. BLOWN AWAY, honestly. Blown away. In capital letters.

Another very important difference is the resistance in the forward flex. The XP soft flexor offers substantially LESS resistance than the NNN-BC soft flexor. And this is not just the flexors, it's also in the soles. The XP feels almost like a free-pivot binding until the it reach the end of its course. The sole of the XP boot almost doesn't flex at all. On the other hand, you instantly feel some resistance on NNN-BC from the start. And the NNN-BC sole start slowly flexing naturally almost as soon as the heel is raised. NOT the case with the XP sole and binding.

This is what has been raising A LOT of questioning for me since last April, hence the confusion in my original review about "getting used to it" and "figuring it out". The whole Ball-of-foot thing. It would be tempting to say that NNN-BC is better and more natural. Now this is where it gets interesting. Because despite the XP sole's stiffness and its semi-freepivot feel, the lateral control and edging power is much better than all other norms. And it sort of compensates for its own characteristics. So in the end, it offers a MUCH more natural and efficient experience for XC, but a quite similar experience for Telemark and downhill.

Alpina Alaska XP XPLORE vs ALFA Guard NNN-BC.jpg

Back on NNN-BC, the experience was quite disappointing. Hey, we are talking about my favorite binding / boot combo here. Yes, for the first time, they felt less fun than before. I felt bound and tied to the binding, like restricted by some load. Like being handcuffed to the boots and bindings. My feet were not free, and I was not in complete control of the skis. Both NNN-BC boots and bindings felt quite restrictive (!!!). I felt like a slave of the equipment, compared to the liberty of the XPLORE. Even after taking the ALFA Guards for a mixed tour, I found myself wanting to get back in the Alaska XPs as soon as possible! The Guards did not feel as comfortable as they once did. Lacing them seemed not as smooth as before compared to the Alaska XP. The previous Alaskas felt heavy, their shoelaces almost impossible to tie. Boy, once again, this was totally unexpected! I just HAD TO get back on the XPLORE, as quick as possible! Quite a shocking experience for me, an hardcore advocate of the NNN-BC system.

This little thing is absolutely FASCINATING. I thought this was just a toy, just money-making. A way for Rottefella to capitalize on the already fading 2-pin craze. I was wrong. I am simply falling in love a little more every day, with both boots and bindings.

There is SO MUCH MORE magic in this little piece of engineering that what I had expected. Wow. Just WOW. I think I will have to start getting used to the fact that I might not be going back to NNN-BC or 75mm. I was not ready for this!!!

WARNING!!! This boot and this little thingie are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 am

Some of my comments and thoughts.

* The price of Alfa Xplore boots isn't high, _except_ for the Free APS; Skaget is the same price as the Kikut BC and has a complete protective rand. Vista is +20$ to the Guard tough. The price of the binding is quite high compared to NNN-BC, with 2.3x-2.5x the price.

* I don't like walking in Alpine and other boots with a stiff sole and much prefer even stiff telemark boots, so I am skeptical of the Xplore sole for walking. I want a boot that I can also walk relatively comfortably in, because my skiing and skating often involve a bit of hiking.

* The skiing performance both xc and in turns will feel different. The Friflyt-review wondered if Rottefella wanted to make us xc-ski in a new way and Johnny's experience can be reflective of this, and might be just need an adaption period. I assume the edging performance will be very good, but am still curious/skeptical of the ability to weigh the rear ski properly. Johnny states that the experience is very comparable to telemark. Can you clarify this?

*Very little play in the pin/binding interface combined with the increased distance gives a very precise binding/ski to boot connection. I very much want this compared to the play in my current Supertelemark and 75mm boot combination.

The Alfa Skaget and Vista boots and bindings are now available in one Norwegian online shop and Skaget in limited supply from Alfa. I have ordered, but am still skeptical of the rigid sole so will try the boot some indoors before committing. By the way, the rand on the Skaget boot has changed from glued rubber to a sewn one like on the Vista.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm

I posted Steppenwolf, The Pusher because this is like drugs.
I’m trying to get clean, man!

I would love to ski the Xplore system — boots and bindings, but the thought of dropping over $700 (and up, depending on how many binding got replaced) to start switching out recently purchased equipment is just a bit much.

For someone starting from scratch, once equipment is generally available, seems like a good way to go.
If transition from 75mm to NNN BC is any indication, it will be a slow transition.

So tempting, but so illogical (for me).

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Stephen wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm
I posted Steppenwolf, The Pusher because this is like drugs.
I’m trying to get clean, man!
It's quite hard for me to glimpse any possible future rehabilitation from the XPLORE syndrome. This stuff is so pure and totally uncut, the possibility of getting over it seems highly unlikely.

telerat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 am
* The price of Alfa Xplore boots isn't high
The price isn't high!?!

Can you post one single link of a commercial leather boot MORE EXPENSIVE than the Alfa Polar Advance (1200$ USD) , the ALFA Polar (900$ USD), the Alfa Free XP (700$ USD), or even the Alfa Guard (700$ USD) or the Vista Advance XP at 500$ USD? :D

I LOVE Alfa boots, but I consider them freaking expensive. Note that I did not say overpriced, I said expensive. The most expensive on the market. (Alaskas usually retail for around 250$, which I also consider quite a big amount of money for a pair of simple commercial leather shoes.)

* I don't like walking in Alpine and other boots with a stiff sole and much prefer even stiff telemark boots, so I am skeptical of the Xplore sole for walking. I want a boot that I can also walk relatively comfortably in, because my skiing and skating often involve a bit of hiking.
As I mentioned earlier, as opposed to 75 and BC, the XP soles were specifically designed for walking and climbing. It's a new experience, you have to try to believe. I didn't believe it myself. Just saying... ;)

*Very little play in the pin/binding interface combined with the increased distance gives a very precise binding/ski to boot connection. I very much want this compared to the play in my current Supertelemark and 75mm boot combination.
PRECISION, a very important keyword here. Thanks for mentionning it!
You will be hooked. Better quit while you still can... 8-)

telerat
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.

Post by telerat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 pm
telerat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 am
* The price of Alfa Xplore boots isn't high
The price isn't high!?!

Can you post one single link of a commercial leather boot MORE EXPENSIVE than the Alfa Polar Advance (1200$ USD) , the ALFA Polar (900$ USD), the Alfa Free XP (700$ USD), or even the Alfa Guard (700$ USD) or the Vista Advance XP at 500$ USD? :D

I LOVE Alfa boots, but I consider them freaking expensive. Note that I did not say overpriced, I said expensive. The most expensive on the market. (Alaskas usually retail for around 250$, which I also consider quite a big amount of money for a pair of simple commercial leather shoes.)
What I meant, is that the Xplore stuff isn't much more expensive _compared to_ their similar NNN-BC boots, but I totally agree that the prices are high. Alfa Polar Advance and Polar I consider specialty boots, and thus have a special price. I do believe you list the price of Guard big size, and Alfa charges quite a premium for large sizes (+150$ ?), but at least it is an option :-/

The Alfa Skaget and Alpina Alaska looks comparable and the price is similar, while the Guard/Vista has more expensive leather but also cost quite a bit more. I do hope Skaget have a fit more comparable to Alaska, as I much prefer it to Alfa Guard, but I am not too optimistic. I do wish the Alaska XP was a bit higher like the original BC version and had lacing like the Alfa Skaget or Alaska Heat, and would also much prefer black to the red color.

The Free XP is special and I was a bit shocked at the price, but it does not interest me much as it seems for faster tours in not too cold weather. I feel it would be just as nice if it was a bit lower/softer, but I haven't tested it myself so will try it on if I get the chance. For a boot with strong ankle support I'd prefer a boot with proper lacing like the original Skaget (is seems lower now and the rand has changed) with added internal support and perhaps even a power strap, or external support with buckles like Crispi Svartisen, instead of the faster boa-closures. I hope Crispi also launches boots for Xplore system and that we get more options in the future. Perhaps Rottefella even makes a wider Xplore binding like the Magnum for NNN-BC, especially when the argument for the system is increased control. I do think Xplore can replace both NNN-BC and 75mm for what we call mountain skiing, but it will take quite a while.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:59 am

alpina XP boots.jpg

"A refreshed backcountry experience providing countless miles and endless smiles."

It's stupid, I never thought I would say that. But after skiing the new Alaska XPs, I can only totally agree with that promotional, "emotional communication" statement. In fact, this is pretty much how I would personally sum up my Alpina Alaska XPLORE experience: A refreshed backcountry experience providing endless smiles!

This is exactly what it is!

TeleMarcin

Post by TeleMarcin » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:55 pm

My Alfa Free arrived today :-) They are extremly light feeling on foots, easily bending to the ball of the foot, easy walking. When tightened with Boa closures they feels very stiff, I felt almost like in soft plastic ski touring boot. I am still waiting for my Xplore bindings, so I have to wait for the further tests on the snow. Overall first unboxing impression is very positive!
0E054FF3-72F9-4373-9D2B-43BE5263545C.jpeg

telerat

Post by telerat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am

I hope you will be satisfied TeleMarcin. The shoes looks quite nice, although I still wish (without having tested them) that Alfa Free APS where either a bit lower and softer for more xc speed with the fast and easy boa closures, or slightly higher (and perhaps stiffer) with beefier closures (lacing, buckles and/or power strap). BOA closures are also used on some ski mountaineering boots, so my skepticism might be unfounded. I am looking forward to hearing your experience.

Here are my Alfa Skaget (size 41). I have only tested them a short tour on touring skates, but the impression is good so far. The sole is stiff, but will bend when I walk and/or put weight on them. My old 75mm boots would be better to walk in if they didn't have the duckbill, but now it's about equal I think. I will come back with more impressions when I have tested them more and on skis.
Alfa_Skaget_rz.jpg