The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:32 am

Awesome @telerat @orangeviking and @TeleMarcin !

Keep those XPLORE pictures coming!!! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lamikr

Post by lamikr » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Any idea when the Alpina Alaska XP boots will be available on shops/webshops in EU area for ordering?

Dim

Re: Alpina Alaska XP XPlore Boot review

Post by Dim » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:14 am

Hello everybody!

Very interesting boots and new bindings!
Thank you, Jonny, for such a passionate revew )

My BC background:
1) Madshus Annum, Fischer S-Bound 112 with 3-pin Crispy boots for long tours (up to one month);
2) Fischer Excursion 88 with Alpina Alaska BC for one-day walks.

This new system looks quite attractive, but I'm agree with Woodserson:
Woodserson wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Definitely a worry for dependability. Moving things placed on high-impact areas are asking for trouble.
Conditions in wilderness may be very different.
Here, in Russia, travelling through the eastern Syberia in winter is rather popular.
Sometimes, it is need to walk in water over the ice, that is arising due to the very low temperatures and low amount of snow.
What will happen with the springs after that?

Another point is the range of application. It is seen that the sole of Alaska XP is much better for hiking then BC sole. But there are still no welts for crampons.
Of course there are crampons for boots without welts and it is ok for the sleep slopes. But it is totally uncufficient for climbing frozen waterfall wich is the pretty common obstruction during ski travelling in mountaines.
It seems to me, the Vibram sole with its heel welt (like on Alpina Alaska 3-pin) may be the good choice for Alpna XP, making these boots more expeditionary ones.

(Sorry for my english - it's not my native)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 pm

My first Norwegian love: 205cm Waxless Cecilie Skogs for men... XPlorized.
(Ingstad, S98, Objective, Trysil Knut and Storetind are next to be refreshed...)

For me, with the amazing Alaska XP, there is absolutely no turning back to NNN-BC or NN.
Like totally out of the question, whether it's for kick and glide, skating or downhill.

_IMG_0313s.jpg
_IMG_0321s.jpg

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 pm
My first Norwegian love: 205cm Waxless Cecilie Skogs for men... XPlorized.
(Ingstad, S98, Objective, Trysil Knut and Storetind are next to be refreshed...)

For me, with the amazing Alaska XP, there is absolutely no turning back to NNN-BC or NN.
Like totally out of the question, whether it's for kick and glide, skating or downhill.
wow. just like that?? you ditching the cool Alfa Guard Adv NNNBC??

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Dim wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:14 am
Very interesting boots and new bindings!
Thank you, Jonny, for such a passionate revew )

Sometimes, it is need to walk in water over the ice, that is arising due to the very low temperatures and low amount of snow. What will happen with the springs after that?
Thanks and welcome to the forum Dim!

The springpin mechanism seems to be very well sealed. But even if it would eventually ice, the slots on the bindings would probably force the pins into place. Only time will tell...

jyw5 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Crazy isn't it? As I said earlier:

"Back on NNN-BC, the experience was quite disappointing. Yes, for the first time, they felt less fun than before. I felt bound and tied to the binding, like restricted by some load. Like being handcuffed to the boots and bindings. My feet were not free, and I was not in complete control of the skis. Both NNN-BC boots and bindings felt quite restrictive (!!!). I felt like a slave of the equipment, compared to the liberty of the XPLORE. Even after taking the ALFA Guards for a mixed tour, I found myself wanting to get back in the Alaska XPs as soon as possible! The Guards did not feel as comfortable as they once did. I just HAD TO get back on the XPLORE, as quick as possible! Quite a shocking experience for me, an hardcore advocate of the NNN-BC system."

I just got back from another tour on the Guards this morning, just for fun. Unbelievable. The only thing I wanted was to get back home as soon as possible to jump into the Alaska XP. Crazy man, it's crazy. I know it sounds like I'm full of BS, but please don't listen to a word a say. Don't trust my over-enthusiasm. Just wait until you try for yourself... Telling you man, No-freaking-turning-back! 8-)

Don't get me wrong, the Alfa Guard was just the finest boot on the market. But hey, that was 3 years ago! (Insert a smiley here...) The world has evolved surprisingly quickly since then. The Alaska XP IS the future!

If properly tuned and optimized, I'm sure the new Alfa Vista Advance could be even better than the Guard with XP bindings. But for me, I love the new Alaska XP even better. They are just more PRECISE than any other boot. Much more comfortable, the fit is much tighter and perfect for complete precision on every side. As a bonus, they are great looking, freaking easy to lace very tightly and incredibly light.

The Guards were really, really fine. And they still are today. But the Alaska XPs are even more than this, they are just MIND-BLOWING.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:25 pm

But @Johnny There are no rails on XP, no cable, no added strength in the sole for powerful turning. How can the XP put the capital in xcD???
Just curious, like other unbelievers I may need to see to believe. However a short video of a 35 degree descent through the Québécois glades could help my non-believe!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Johnny wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:05 pm
jyw5 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Crazy isn't it? As I said earlier:

"Back on NNN-BC, the experience was quite disappointing. Yes, for the first time, they felt less fun than before. I felt bound and tied to the binding, like restricted by some load. Like being handcuffed to the boots and bindings. My feet were not free, and I was not in complete control of the skis. Both NNN-BC boots and bindings felt quite restrictive (!!!). I felt like a slave of the equipment, compared to the liberty of the XPLORE. Even after taking the ALFA Guards for a mixed tour, I found myself wanting to get back in the Alaska XPs as soon as possible! The Guards did not feel as comfortable as they once did. I just HAD TO get back on the XPLORE, as quick as possible! Quite a shocking experience for me, an hardcore advocate of the NNN-BC system."

I just got back from another tour on the Guards this morning, just for fun. Unbelievable. The only thing I wanted was to get back home as soon as possible to jump into the Alaska XP. Crazy man, it's crazy. I know it sounds like I'm full of BS, but please don't listen to a word a say. Don't trust my over-enthusiasm. Just wait until you try for yourself... Telling you man, No-freaking-turning-back! 8-)

Don't get me wrong, the Alfa Guard was just the finest boot on the market. But hey, that was 3 years ago! (Insert a smiley here...) The world has evolved surprisingly quickly since then. The Alaska XP IS the future!

If properly tuned and optimized, I'm sure the new Alfa Vista Advance could be even better than the Guard with XP bindings. But for me, I love the new Alaska XP even better. They are just more PRECISE than any other boot. Much more comfortable, the fit is much tighter and perfect for complete precision on every side. As a bonus, they are great looking, freaking easy to lace very tightly and incredibly light.

The Guards were really, really fine. And they still are today. But the Alaska XPs are even more than this, they are just MIND-BLOWING.
Thanks, Johnny. I am definitely skeptical. I will wait for further reviews and videos before making my next purchase. Ultimately, if the stiff Alfa Free Xplore can perform close to a plastic boot down steep and/or unfavorable variable terrain, I would be convinced. Otherwise, I have been quite happy with my NNN BC setups.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Went on a 9 plus mile ski on the Alpina Alaska XP/Xplore/ Discovery 80 skis today. Typical Forest Service Road. Nice views. Skis, bindings and boots worked great. Great kick and glide, no toe pinch issues, just perfect in my opinion for the tour today. One of the nicest features of the Xplore binding over NNNBC is how easy it is to pop out of the binding, stomp around in the snow and then step back in the binding without any issues of the dreaded "snow packing in the bar pocket" of the NNN systems. My ski partner was skiing 3 pins and had minor ice pack issues under the toe, but I had no issues today. Now this is just one ski with one type of snow, but what a great ski it was. At the end of the day, my ski partner was able to squeeze into the boots and take the system for a very short demo. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to post any of his thoughts. Here is a photo, maybe some long time members will be able to guess who this is. Here is a hint: Blueberry Hill :D
20211221_153457_Moment.jpg
20211221_141402.jpg

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:55 am

fisheater wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:25 pm
A short video of a 35 degree descent through the Québécois glades could help my non-believe!

Exactly what they will be used for over here!
Unfortunately, the New Nordic Nerds' cinematographer left the crew.

But Johnny There are no rails on XP, no cable, no added strength in the sole for powerful turning. How can the XP put the capital in xcD???

Technique, grace and finesse.

Tom M wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:51 pm
My ski partner was skiing 3 pins and had minor ice pack issues under the toe, but I had no issues today.

Same here. It happened twice that my partners pin holes and NNN bars were totally clogged, they had to sit down and use the tip of their pole to work it out... While I had no problem at all ...

Tom M wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:51 pm
No toe pinch issues, just perfect in my opinion for the tour today.

Alpina Alaska XP: Most comfortable boot EVER. No toe pinch, no metatarsal crunch, no pressure points, no heel lift... No need for foam pads, donuts, risers, ankle wraps, tongue pads or esoteric anatomically formed footbeds. Just pure comfort and perfect precision for everything nordic.