Åsnes Kongsvold

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Åsnes Kongsvold

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 am

Juste found that extensive review of the Kongsvold. Could not find a thread dedicated to this ski so I thought I would simply copy the link here. It almost compare to @lilcliffy and @Johnny reviews... that says a lot ;)

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/asnes/kongsvold-hunter/

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Åsnes Kongsvold

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am

Cool graphics... even they convey that the skis are "dog safe", no steel edges.
(Although the troll in me begs to ask if that is a dog problem, or a human problem with training?)
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 09.22.33.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 09.23.19.png

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:41 pm

I think dog training can go a long way, but it’s still safer to go without metal edges for the dog’s sake. Kind of just stacking the deck in the dog’s favor. Anyone else tried these? That review was great and turned me onto these skis to maybe replace my Annums for deep powder days (every day) in the UP.

havuja

Post by havuja » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:28 pm

Kongsvolds in 200cm are my most used skis for the fourth winter now. They are amazing! I ski them mainly with two sled dogs ahead pulling me, usually on snowmobile- or self-made tracks. Sometimes I go alone to the hills for downhill fun.

Whenever there is soft on top of something firmer, they are great. 40cm+ of soft, and big shovels begin to get very heavy to handle somewhere deep in there. In thinner snow the flexible but firm tip breaks trail nicely, but is too wide for very efficient travel. Tail has some flex also, middle part is very supportive. Camber and a half in my books, somewhere in Nansen - Nato range perhaps. K&g and tracking are good in soft snow conditions. They feel very stable underfoot if it is not too firm, but wide shovel sometimes catches in crust, inconsistent snow, and especially refrozen trails.

Downhill in 10-30cm of powder on consolidated base they are a true pleasure. They turn very quick and easy, and carve well - also in speed. I can not turn them in very deep snow, it would take big speeds to flex the ski to carve with only (our kind of-) powder resistance, without something to compress against. Picking up enough speed is not easy, because the non-rockered tip does not plane easily. Might try that with plastic boot in the future, if I dare.

I have them mounted a bit forward of balance point because I hate sinking tails - they might be even more stable and possibly better in deep snow downhill, if mounted at bp.

I take them out when we have a good layer of snow, and sometime in March or early April when refrozen snow becomes a constant issue it is time to put them in for the summer. In between I ski them almost daily. They are great with dogs because of stability in speed and easy turning. Without dogs I would happily ski them downhill much more often, but snow tends not to be ideal for them where I live.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:48 am

First time out on my Kongsvold today. Perfect ski for me. I am a bigger dude and this ski has everything I have been looking for in a ski. Supportive enough that I get great K&G and it has great downhill control on the soft-stuff and on a packed down trail. So much faster and smoother than with my SB98.
IMG-5693 (1).jpg

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:50 pm

Awesome man, tell me more! I’m lusting after these for trapping and hunting with my dog - just like the graphics on the ski! Or just traveling for fun in knee deep snow. Where’d you get them and where are you located?

Have you used kicker skins with them yet? waxables?