Alfa FREE A/P/S GTX XPLORE Boot Review 2022

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
satanas

Re: Alfa FREE A/P/S GTX XPLORE Boot Review 2022

Post by satanas » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:15 am

FWIW, I haven't seen or tried on any recent Alpina boots but all I've seen in the past have been very wide and high volume, rather like Keen or Five Ten footwear; these don't fit my feet even slightly. :-(

Of the new theoretical boots, the Fishers might fit but are leather (= freezing problems here in Oz), and I have no idea how Crispi fits, or what they're made from; they've never made it here. The Alfas appear to be totally synthetic, IMHO a good thing, plus I like the idea of the BOA closures, and I rented some Alfa boots for a few days decades ago in Norway and got on with them okay.

Any of these would almost certainly have to be mail ordered from another continent though... :roll:

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:54 am

satanas wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:15 am
Of the new theoretical boots, the Fishers might fit but are leather (= freezing problems here in Oz), and I have no idea how Crispi fits, or what they're made from; they've never made it here. The Alfas appear to be totally synthetic, IMHO a good thing, plus I like the idea of the BOA closures, and I rented some Alfa boots for a few days decades ago in Norway and got on with them okay.
Both the Fischer Transnordic, Alpina Pioneer and Crispi Svartisen are made from leather, but have membranes for water resistance and are insulated. I believe a proper rubber rand is important to protect the leather and avoid water ingress and cold feet. The Alfa Free has been criticized for not being warm due to snow gathering on the toe in one test I have read, so that doesn't sound like a solution either. The Alpina Pioneer is unknown for now.

I did not get cold feet in my Alfa Skaget in -15°C with one pair of medium thick socks on a short tour, but I would use two pairs when it is that cold and they also feel better on. The women's version of Alfa Guard that I tried in a shop was much narrower and did not fit me, so that might also be an option for you if you have small enough feet (max size 42 on ladies boots).

satanas

Post by satanas » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:45 am

Unfortunately, My feet are way too big to fit into size 42 boots; I'd need 46 or 47.

My worry isn't about cold weather conditions per se, as cold = dry snow, but rather warm, wet snow (and sometimes rain), which results in sodden boots which then freeze solid overnight. Neither plastic nor textile boots freeze solid, which saves a lot of misery the next day. Here dry = warm...

It's extremely rare to get to -15°C here; it might happen overnight once or twice a year; -5 to -10°C is more common overnight, but it doesn't always freeze. Typical daytime tempertures are more likely to be between -5 to +5°C, with 10-15+ likely in spring. If it stayed below -5°C all winter things would be much more pleasant. :-(

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:10 pm

KDog wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:52 pm
The Alfa Free sounds like the perfect boot for me to finally ditch the Excursions and return to the lightweight and soul surf telemark style of leather boots! But alas...
My feet are not as extreme as yours, but wide at the same spots. The Free is definitely narrower and wil flex on the wrong spot for your feet. I bought the Skaget and it works well. As it is leather it widenes up a bit. Still the lacing enables tightening for the downhill. The boots are bigger than usually. I usually wear 42 2/3 to 43 and the 42 Skaget is by far long enough for me!

Probably Vista is the same, but not tested by me.

Cheers

Lightung

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:45 pm

telerat wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:31 am
With possibly three and possibly four high and supportive boots it looks promising for Xplore next year:
Alfa Free: https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/products/fr ... tx-m-black
Fischer Transnordic: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 802#p48543
Alpina Pioneer: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 497#p48616
Crispi is rumored to on board, and Svartisen is a nnn-bc boot that could be adapted to Xplore: https://www.crispi.it/en/shop-online/pr ... 246--/9900
I am also curious on how tall and stiff a boot the Xplore binding/system can accept.
Freaking exciting isn't it? 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:14 pm
(Left to right: Alaska XP 43, Alfa Free 42, Alfa Guard 43, Alaska 75 43)
Ni review J. 42 sound small for you? Is the sizing right or would have you preferred the 43?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:06 am

@bgregoire as described in this thread:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 642#p47354
I had to size up for Alpina Alaska compared to Alfa; My Alfa Skaget is size 41, while when testing Alaska (XP/BC/75mm) I had to use 42 and that even felt slightly tighter.

satanas

Post by satanas » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:19 am

@ telerat: Are you talking about width/volume or length?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:52 am

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:16 pm
Ni review J. 42 sound small for you? Is the sizing right or would have you preferred the 43?
Thanks! I wear size 10.5 US / 27.5 Mondo.

Alaska BC 42: Super tight, but perfect, the way I like it for downhill
Alaska BC 43: Too big, problematic, heel lift, even with think socks
Alaska 75 42: Too small
Alaska 75 43: Perfect!
Alaska 75 44: Too big, problematic
Guard 43: Quite big, but near perfect with thick socks
Alaska XP 43: Perfect! Super comfy with thin socks, and super comfy with thick ones
Alaska XP 42: I did NOT try them, but my guess is that they would be perfect too, the laces allow a wide range
Free 42: Perfect with thin socks, and perfect with thick ones, thanks to the dynamic BOA fit range! (43 would have been WAY too big. )

I was expecting the Free 42 to be quite tight. And for downhill, this is what I want. But no, they are not tight, they feel quite big for a size 42! But the BOA thing seems to accomodate a wider range of feet, and the AWESOME lacing system of the Alaska XP seems to allow exactly the same thing too. Something I didn't find on any other boots. (When I say big, I mean both length and width.) Important to note on Alfa's FREE page:

The fit in the shoes is spacious so that you have room for thick socks and maintain good circulation. If you are unsure about the size, we recommend you choose the smaller size.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

KDog
Ski style: Multi-Glisse

Post by KDog » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:06 am

Johnny wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:52 am

Thanks! I wear size 10.5 US / 27.5 Mondo.

Guard 43: Quite big, but near perfect with thick socks

Free 42: Perfect with thin socks, and perfect with thick ones, thanks to the dynamic BOA fit range! (43 would have been WAY too big. )

I was expecting the Free 42 to be quite tight. And for downhill, this is what I want. But no, they are not tight, they feel quite big for a size 42! But the BOA thing seems to accomodate a wider range of feet, and the AWESOME lacing system of the Alaska XP seems to allow exactly the same thing too. Something I didn't find on any other boots. (When I say big, I mean both length and width.)
Hi Johnny. How would you describe the width of your feet? Narrow, mid, wide like EE or EEE? It sounds like you prefer a performance fit because a 10.5 should be Mondo 28/28.5 or 44 Euro in most boots according to charts other than ALFA's.

I'm trying to figure out which size to order of the ALFA Vista's and although concensus seems to indicate they fit large/wide, I'm still unconvinced that I can size down. I'm paranoid but I also have never found a shoe to be TOO wide, even in wide width models. I wear an 10.5/11 wide width shoe even thought my feet only measure out to 26.5/27. My plastic boot shells are Mondo 28.5 and my Salomon skate boots are 45.3 and very comfortable. I always size up for width.

I would never order a 43, (I can't imagine it fitting), so I'm trying to choose between 44/45. I guess I will have to order both and ship one back (hopefully one fits!).