Peltonen Metsa Step Ski Review Metsäsukset

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Peltonen Metsa Step Ski Review Metsäsukset

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:01 pm

A new member in my Finnish Forest Ski Family!

Long story short, I ordered the 270cm* Peltonen Metsa Step ski over 2 years ago. And it finally arrived on Christmas Eve! They are pretty easy to order anywhere now, but 2 years ago, they were almost impossible to import in Canada. Totally worth the wait! Available in 3 different bases, I picked the "Step" one over the waxable and skin / Nanogrip versions.

Long review short, these mythical beauties are FABULOUS. 270cm of pure fabulous glide. 270cm of smooth forest bliss. MORE flotation and MORE stability than Voile's fatty Vectors, but without sacrificing speed and glide on the flats. Amazing and surprising geometry, amazing and surprising flex.

No matter which of my regular 210cm skis I use, I ALWAYS wish they were a few decimeters longer. It always seemed to me that the sweetest ski length would be just a bit more. 250cm was fun last year, but now 270cm is just freaking awesome!!! At last, I can finally declare: THAT'S IT!

Handmade in Finland with pride and love since 1945, Peltonen skis always surprise me. And so does the Metsa ("Forest" in Finnish). Amazing... Freaking, freakin' amazing! I can't wait to XPlorize them!

A lot more than what I was expecting. VERY IMPRESSED! This is not just a long ski. It's clear that it's the result of many decades of research and developpement. A legacy of Finnish knowledge and technology, passed from several generations ago.

Deep snow anyone?

* Yep, that is almost 9 feet!!! Make sure your ceilings are high enough...

Peltonen Metsa Step Review metsäsukset.jpg
deep snow.jpg
Peltonen Metsa.jpg
Peltonen Metsa vs Era Polar vs Asnes Rabb .jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Peltonen Metsa Step Ski Review Metsäsukset

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!
How awesome are those!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:19 pm

If I didn't know any better, I'd say those were runners for a sleigh!

Sounds like "buyer's remorse" is not an affliction you have for this purchase. Enjoy.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:13 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm
wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!
You took the words right out of my mouth...! 8-)

joeatomictoad wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:19 pm
If I didn't know any better, I'd say those were runners for a sleigh!
Speaking of sleigh and wowowo's, it seems like both Peltonen skis and Santa Claus originate from Finland:
(Great movie BTW!)

Franz

Post by Franz » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:10 am

Nice. Camber? We need a side view.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Johnny wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:01 pm
Long story short, I ordered the 270cm* Peltonen Metsa Step ski over 2 years ago. And it finally arrived on Christmas Eve!
When the video of you hitting the local bunny slopes on your Peltonen Metsä hit YouTube, Christmas will have truly arrived for the rest of us!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:55 pm

just read a historical article about Snowshoe Thompson. Was known for getting mail across the Sierra Nevadas in the mid-1800's, around the Lake Tahoe area. Legend has it he used some long skis not unlike these 270's... obviously his were much cruder.

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 pm

thamks for reviewing these and sharing your experiences! i stumbled on listings recently for these beasts and was wondering about them. the cost on europe sites is reasonable and the shipping to usa is surprisingly reasonable.

and arriving on christmas eve after a two year wait. wow!!

my question is how they do on downhill stretches. they dont SEEM like would be easy to control/turn - but maybe ok?

oncer you get some downhill experience with the metsas, please consider posdting it.
Last edited by freedom glider on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:33 am

Oh my god!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Franz wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:10 am
Nice. Camber? We need a side view.
This is where it gets VERY interesting. This is a totally different concept here. Imagine a racing Kevlar ski with your favorite Vibration Absorbing System. This is what the long floating middle section feels like. Super stiff, I mean like world-cup stiffness. But super light this time. Stiff but still a little forgiving tails, and with SUPER soft tips. Softer than anything you have seen to absorb any kind of relief, terrain and obstacles. Add to this a relatively low camber (Similar to the Ingstad but a bit lower) and you have a fantastic new type of ski. Something you have never experienced before. Not your traditional XC ski concept!

riel wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:21 pm
When the video of you hitting the local bunny slopes on your Peltonen Metsä hit YouTube, Christmas will have truly arrived for the rest of us!

Wait, what do you mean bunny slopes?!?
This is an extreme ski, for first-chair-on-powder-days extreme skiers who like to ski down extreme slopes!!! While this is my new favorite for long meditations in the woods, I am thinking about getting a second waxable pair to mount beefy NTN bindings for pure resort use... 8-)

Seriously, this is a mythical ski. It comes pre-loaded with soul, heritage and history.

I have been looking for the Karhu Hunt skis since they came out in 2014... But the 260cm ones are simply impossible to find and/or to import.

freedom glider wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 pm
my question is how they do on downhill stretches. they dont SEEM like would be easy to control/turn - but maybe ok? oncer you get some downhill experience with the metsas, please consider posdting it.
Sure, coming soon!

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:55 pm
just read a historical article about Snowshoe Thompson. Was known for getting mail across the Sierra Nevadas in the mid-1800's, around the Lake Tahoe area. Legend has it he used some long skis not unlike these 270's... obviously his were much cruder.
Yep, nothing new here. Just a modern rendition of an heritage ski from the Old-World. But what a ski!

altay.jpg