Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Re: Alpina Pioneer Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by Theme » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:53 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 am
Official date is August 1st... 8-)
Have not heard anything yet! Wonder if there are delays, possibly due to the ownership change or something else... Dang, can't wait much longer :D

giovanotti

Post by giovanotti » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:27 pm

Well, there is something to be found:

1. https://www.alpinasports.com/en/nordic/backcountry (Alpina official site) has revealed collection. 2 models of Xplore boots and quite extended collection of NNN BC

2. Alpina Pioneer PRO Xplore offer on: https://www.topski.cz/cz/backcountry-bo ... re/?pc=530
Not available before mid October 2022.

Theme

Post by Theme » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:14 am

giovanotti wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:27 pm
Well, there is something to be found:

1. https://www.alpinasports.com/en/nordic/backcountry (Alpina official site) has revealed collection. 2 models of Xplore boots and quite extended collection of NNN BC

2. Alpina Pioneer PRO Xplore offer on: https://www.topski.cz/cz/backcountry-bo ... re/?pc=530
Not available before mid October 2022.
Great! Seems like now they really are going to be available in a couple of weeks (European sources):

1. (Cheapest)
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/product ... r-pro.html

https://www.skistart.fi/p-74854-alpina- ... plore.aspx

https://www.climbing247.no/p-74854-alpi ... plore.aspx

Just that I am a bit hesitant on the size! My favourite shop Welhonpesä (Finland) has not yet heard back from the distributor

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:59 pm

@Theme, what are you thinking about the Alpina Pioneer Pro Xplore in comparison to the ALFA Free?
It seems like you are preferring the Alpina?

Theme

Post by Theme » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:59 pm
@Theme, what are you thinking about the Alpina Pioneer Pro Xplore in comparison to the ALFA Free?
It seems like you are preferring the Alpina?
I did have the chance to test the Alfa Free, Alpina Alaska XP and Skaget in store (Varuste and Äkäslompolo SportShop) Also going to have a test pair of Lundhags Abisku Expedition for cold weather forest skiing the coming winter, as I did some backpack testing for them and bunch of friends of mine have deemed the NNNBC version the most durable boot out there. Got great discounts and what is more, me and my partner share the same boot size :twisted:

What turns me away from the Alfa Free, despite being the most stable and best fit with quite a wide toebox, is the toe pinch. I am 70-90% of the time doing kick and glide, distance oriented BC skiing. I would get blistering and bruises, as that boot flexes at the toes, not ball of foot. It is just horrible for me in that regard. Also, I am worried for the durability of the BOA laces when snow is crusty/breakable or heavy and sinks, resulting in excess dragging on the lacing

Alpina does have a bit tighter, narrower fit than I would prefer, but I think I can manage it. Just cannot use the thick wool socks I normally wear, which makes me worried if I can take them down to -40°C or even -30°C. Probably not, so this is why the Lundhags comes into play. I do prefer the Alfa fit - after all, Outback 2.0 is my fav boot to date due to warmth and the gaiter and decent support yet offers plenty of space for liner, VBL and thick wool sock.

But there just are not so many options yet. Alfa Guard did not fit me well by the way, a different fit.. Why I am going after the Pioneer Pro is the very low weight and good support, and that in Alpina Alaska XP the flex point is better for me. I want to be able to ski more like in tracks, which I do believe a light boot, ski and pole combination can achieve - I now pretty much only use a lightweight backpack full of equipment for adventures with up to 7-10 days between resupplies, as it accommodates kick and glide vs. a pulk/sled. I did also get a pair of Falketind 62X in 188 to do more telemark, as this winter I'll spend a few months around Ylläs area before flying over to the US for some long distance hiking.

Alfa Skaget did have a good fit too, but had some strange excess padding at the ankle joint sides. And did not offer that much support.

Alpina Alaska XP was pretty good in all aspects except the width, and that there are no locking hooks for the laces at the ankle. More support than Skaget, way less than Alfa Free. I am hoping the Pioneer Pro has the perfect amount of support to for my uses - not enough to bother kick and glide, but enough to accommodate better turns than NNNBC with any boot.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:38 pm

@Theme, thanks for the detailed reply!
I have tried the Alpina Alaska and found them too narrow in the ball of foot.
Have the Alfa Guards and find them to be very nice, although long break-in period for the heel. I really like the roomy toe box!
I got impatient, and went ahead on the Alfa Free, which I find very comfortable in extended at-home testing.
The one thing I wish the Free had (which I am able to accomplish with lacing technique on the Guards) is a way to pull the heel back into the heel pocket, as an independent adjustment.
As it is, both upper and lower boas need to be tightened to accomplish this.
I prefer a somewhat looser lower, especially toes, with firm heel hold.
I can do all that on the Guards, with lacing.

I'll try the Free as they are, but may try a hack across the upper instep and back to the heel -- maybe some sort of Velcro band that can be tightened -- just an idea...

Early on, I had a problem with toe pinch with the Guards, but then discovered I have a low volume foot and that if I used extra insoles to fill the space that problem was solved.

Thanks again for all the informative posts!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:43 pm

Man those black Alpina Alaska's look bad ass! To bad I can't get my fat feet into em.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:47 pm

Any word on when these new Alpina Boots might become available?

Theme

Post by Theme » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:04 am

snow-mark wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:47 pm
Any word on when these new Alpina Boots might become available?
I have been waiting a looong time, the dates have been pushed back multiple times. Asked Adventure Nordique last week and they told their shipment is scheduled for Jan 23rd. Other dealers I asked (Sport Conrad, SkiStart, Outdoorexperten, Outdoorbuddies) did not know when their orders are expected to land. Topski site shows Dec 16th but I wonder if that is going to hold

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:29 am

@Theme @snow-mark

The official update from Alpina:

Our shipment should be here (in the US) in mid-December, so stores shortly after that.
Here's a list of shops that will be offering them:

AKERS SKI, INC.
ALASKA MOUNTAINEERING
BACKCOUNTRY.COM
GALLATIN ALPINE SPORTS
HIGH PEAKS CYCLERY
L.L. BEAN
MISSING LINK SPORTS
MOUNTAIN WORKS INC
NEXT ADVENTURE OFFICES
ORANGE COUNTY SNOWBOARD CORP
OREGON MOUNTAIN COMMUNITY
SKINNY SKIS, LLC
THE BIKEWAY SOURCE, INC
THE SKI RACK, INC
WEST HILL SHOP
YOSTMARK MOUNTAIN EQUIPMENT

(PS: Third season on XP boots here, and the Alaska XP is still my all-time favorite boot...)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."