Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
Actually, I am looking for a reason not to try Xplore and stick with NNNBC but for that I must disconnect from TTalk :shock:
Absolutely. Unquestionably.
And also, stay away from the Pioneer TECH...

|
OR
|

Go ahead, wreck your life. Ask yourself why you are working so hard all year round. Question the reasons why you are giving yourself so much trouble to get that hard-earned money. Why are you doing this? Why exactly are you saving nickels and dimes?

|
AND
|

Turning to the XPLORE side doesn't mean you have to leave NNN-BC. They are NOT mutually exclusive. 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:36 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
Actually, I am looking for a reason not to try Xplore and stick with NNNBC but for that I must disconnect from TTalk :shock:
Absolutely. Unquestionably.
And also, stay away from the Pioneer TECH...

|
OR
|

Go ahead, wreck your life. Ask yourself why you are working so hard all year round. Question the reasons why you are giving yourself so much trouble to get that hard-earned money. Why are you doing this? Why exactly are you saving nickels and dimes?

|
AND
|

Turning to the XPLORE side doesn't mean you have to leave NNN-BC. They are NOT mutually exclusive. 8-)
@Johnny This is all so true! It's not a coincidence that you tell me that after 2 hard days of work while battling against a severe cold/flu and only going through the days with willpower :D

I have not decided on buying Xplore but it is only a question of time. I just bought the new Rabb and I am really considering mounting them with Xplore. @lilcliffy is having a really good time with that combinaison and he just shared a piece of wisdom that meant a lot. I don't want talk for him but he said that he noticed a difference between NNNBC and Xplore dh in the woods as he can't fully weight his ski in those conditions and the Xplore reacts better to that. I don't know if you have noticed that but I think that could make a difference for eastern skiers like us that have to deal with dense forest most of the time. If only Xplore could work magic and make me a better skier :lol:

As for NNNBC, i would not ditch it for sure. I am having the fun of my life with the Sverdrup and NNNBC. We don't talk a lot about those skis but it's like they were tailored for my terrain!

As for the Pionner Tech... can't wait to read your review and see how they perform compared to the Pionner Pro. For the Rabb i would choose the better for dh... that would mean they have to score 10 on your scale!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:36 pm
@lilcliffy is having a really good time with that combinaison and he just shared a piece of wisdom that meant a lot. I don't want talk for him but he said that he noticed a difference between NNNBC and Xplore dh in the woods as he can't fully weight his ski in those conditions and the Xplore reacts better to that. I don't know if you have noticed that but I think that could make a difference for eastern skiers like us that have to deal with dense forest most of the time.
To add a bit to this-
I don't think that XP is "better" than BC when the foot is effectively weighted on the binding-ski-
but, since my foot is often not effectively weighted on the ski- when touring in rugged and densely forested terrain- XP is "better", because I have more control over the ski when my ski is not effectively weighted.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Vrasho

Post by Vrasho » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:25 am

Any long term experience with the alpina Alaska Pioneer Pro, mainly regarding durability?
My left boot started to fall apart after 20km of use. At the flexing point near toes, glue between black rubber and leather game apart and the rubber is torn torn now.
Good thing I only paid 200€, but it is hassle to get it replaced.

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 am

Vrasho wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:25 am
Any long term experience with the alpina Alaska Pioneer Pro, mainly regarding durability?
My left boot started to fall apart after 20km of use. At the flexing point near toes, glue between black rubber and leather game apart and the rubber is torn torn now.
Good thing I only paid 200€, but it is hassle to get it replaced.
Oh no...

Yeah I had the outsoles come off on two pairs of Pi Tech. I am switching to the Pi Pro for the last 700 km of my ski through of Norway now. I'll get back in a couple of weeks. I know it is a risk, but the boots are still under warranty so better to have them destroyed now, rather than later...

Alpina was very eager to replace the boots, though when it happened again there was no issue asking for a refund