Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Re: Alpina Pioneer PI Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by Theme » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:32 am

Thanks @Johnny

Why exactly have you liked the Alaska XP better, over the Pioneer Pro? Better comfort K & G?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Alpina Pioneer Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:47 am

wabene wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:43 pm
Man those black Alpina Alaska's look bad ass! To bad I can't get my fat feet into em.
Size up.
Having a large volume foot-
It is more effective to size for volume- not length

And having a large-volume foot is waaay better than a low-volume trust me-
Cause you can't chip your toes off and size down

Size up.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Theme

Re: Alpina Pioneer Pro Vital XP Discoverer XPLORE boots Review 2022

Post by Theme » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:54 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:47 am
wabene wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:43 pm
Man those black Alpina Alaska's look bad ass! To bad I can't get my fat feet into em.
Size up.
Having a large volume foot-
It is more effective to size for volume- not length

And having a large-volume foot is waaay better than a low-volume trust me-
Cause you can't chip your toes off and size down

Size up.

I'd like to add, that removing the insole makes for a lot more volume. One could also replace these with thin barefoot insoles. The fit on my Alfa Outback (41) is pretty much the same as my Alpina Alaska XP (42) now that I removed the insole. With the stock insole I could only fit a thin sock in to not kill my toes

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:13 pm

Out of curiosity, for reference when you post on boots, do you have a “high volume” foot?
It sounds like you might with reference to removing insoles.
I’m doing the opposite — adding insoles to fill the extra room left by my low volume foot.

Theme

Post by Theme » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:24 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:13 pm
Out of curiosity, for reference when you post on boots, do you have a “high volume” foot?
It sounds like you might with reference to removing insoles.
I’m doing the opposite — adding insoles to fill the extra room left by my low volume foot.
I don't necessarily have high volume feet, they are tiny to be honest - but I do have sort of a flat toe end. So not a regular unnatural shoe shape, but my index extends the furthest, only the fourth and pinky toes are a bit further back than the big toe. Everything points straight ahead. If that makes any sense. As wide as the ball of foot.

Alfa/Lundhags make the boots closest to this fit, Lundhags the best, but Alfa is the most comfortable for me usually for other reasons. Lundhags also has way more volume, which can also be bad. Decided on the Abisku instead of Abisku Expedition, for those cold weather excursions. Until Alfa comes out with the Outback in Xplore. Crispi's boots are typically between Alfa and Alpina for me fit wise. Choosing the same size as in Alfas.

On the other hand, my partner and I conveniently use the same shoe size, but her foot is more like a traditional shoe shape. So it is not even about the shape of the foot, really.

I need the volume to layer socks for multi day touring purposes and for the reason temps regularly drop beyond -30°C. Liner sock, VBL, thick wool sock must fit in. Feet also swell during the day. With the insole on, I can barely fit a thin wool sock in and that is pushing it. My toes are stabbing the front before I get to tie the laces, and even then it is uncomfortable. Pushing against each other side to side, which makes the toes prone to blistering and all sorts of other problems. Heck, my problem big toe was numb for 1,5 months after my 1,5 month ski tour last winter, and I had space in the boots.

My best guess is that I just get anxiety with a tight toe box. Tight toes equals cold feet. It does not allow for that great insulation or blood circulation - especially when the boots are already tightened to the maximum at shaft. Alpina's toebox also gets quite suffocating for the pinky and big toes, as the upper has like a dome shape inside. Though the fit works with just a thin liner for day touring in the springtime. Also paradoxically, I usually find the mid-foot of even Alpina boots to be too wide, when my foot just does not go any narrower there - but even wider.

The Alaska XP (which are really for my partner - see the color) has quite a bit of heel lift on my feet, I hope this is not as much on the Pioneer. Not the worst problem to have, but wears the socks out too quick. Luckily the last wool sock pair that wore through, my favourites, now got a knitted patch below the heel, which acts as kind of like a heel riser inside the boot to combat this.

Speaking of which, I will most likely try some 1-2mm thick insoles as a compromise and not to wear the boot itself from the inside. Really looking forward to the Pioneer now.

Roman
Ski style: I call it telemark ultralight :-)
Favorite Skis: Madshus Epoch, Annum, Voile V6, Fischer S-Bound 98
Favorite boots: Alpina Pioneer Pro, Crispi Svartisen 75, Scarpa T4, T2

Post by Roman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 am

I am still waiting for Alpina Pioneer Pro available in Europe in my size and slowly getting fed up. I may look at some alternatives.

@Johnny I have noticed in another thread that you sold your Alpina Pioneer Pro in 42 size. What was the reason? Do you own another pair or you are just satisfied with Alaska XP? I am asking because I am deciding either for Alaska XP or Rossignol XP12.

In my country (CZ), mostly I ski undulating terrain or just searching for turns with my Epoch/Annum Voile 3-pin (sometimes cable) currently with Svartisten 75 which is not so comfortable for me (I have tried Fischer BCX675 and Alaska 75, but both failed during use either at seaming or duckbill). Therefore I would like to avoid 75 system and switch to XP system. Having read your super positive review of Alpina Pioneer Pro I ordered one pair but delivery date keeps postponing.

For more serious skiing in the mountains I have Voile V6 with Switchback and T4, T2 or G3 Findr with Meidjo and TX Pro.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm

Roman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 am
I am still waiting for Alpina Pioneer Pro available in Europe in my size and slowly getting fed up. I may look at some alternatives.
Same. Also waiting on the Alpina Pioneer 80 ski. Neither has materialized so I went with the Alfa Free. I’m not going to fill the Pioneer ski niche this year. Actually, going with a plastic boot and Voile V6. Totally different, yes!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Roman
Ski style: I call it telemark ultralight :-)
Favorite Skis: Madshus Epoch, Annum, Voile V6, Fischer S-Bound 98
Favorite boots: Alpina Pioneer Pro, Crispi Svartisen 75, Scarpa T4, T2

Post by Roman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:09 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm
Roman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 am
Same. Also waiting on the Alpina Pioneer 80 ski. Neither has materialized so I went with the Alfa Free.
Alfa Free is not a way I want to go regarding XP system. It would be nice if Johnny shed light on my questions ;)

misterissippi
Ski style: Cartwheeling
Favorite Skis: S-Bound 98
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP

Post by misterissippi » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Couple of shots of the new Alpina 2024 catalog. Looks like the PI will be offered with a full synthetic upper. There's not much info on how it will differ in any other ways from the PI Pro. Seeing as there's not much info on the PI Pro itself right now I can hardly say I'm surprised. Definitely has more resemblance to the Alfa Free, minus the BOA.

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:55 pm

misterissippi wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Couple of shots of the new Alpina 2024 catalog. Looks like the PI will be offered with a full synthetic upper. There's not much info on how it will differ in any other ways from the PI Pro. Seeing as there's not much info on the PI Pro itself right now I can hardly say I'm surprised. Definitely has more resemblance to the Alfa Free, minus the BOA.
Could not see the pictures..

But yeah the Pioneer Pro has not really even been for sale yet. Just a few odd sizes. Wonder what the issues have been with them getting delayed. A synthetic upper, another version? Where did you find the catalogue?