Meidjo 3 Vs. Outlaw X Edit: with some Bishop input

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Ant01ne

Re: Meidjo 3 Vs. Outlaw X Edit: with some Bishop input

Post by Ant01ne » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:01 am

Yeah so many holes it's incredible.

Definately looking forward for the jig.
Customer support said they should receive some in a couple weeks.
Also got previous hardware from Binding Freedom so I might as well mount with inserts :-)

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:03 pm

Ant01ne wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:01 am

Also got previous hardware from Binding Freedom so I might as well mount with inserts :-)
I got the inserts and insert kit direct from Meidjo.
The external threads are a slightly different (metric) pitch.
I talked to a ski tech at a major retailer (not REI) who said she used the same tap for both US and Metric insert thread pitches.
Anyway, I like the Meidjo Insert install tool. Takes a bit to get proficient with, but makes it easy to install the inserts and give a solid lock at the exact depth (has a shoulder that stops the insert tool, like the specialized binding screw drill bits have).

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:36 pm

Stephen wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:03 pm
Ant01ne wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:01 am

I got the inserts and insert kit direct from Meidjo.
The external threads are a slightly different (metric) pitch.
I talked to a ski tech at a major retailer (not REI) who said she used the same tap for both US and Metric insert thread pitches.
Anyway, I like the Meidjo Insert install tool. Takes a bit to get proficient with, but makes it easy to install the inserts and give a solid lock at the exact depth (has a shoulder that stops the insert tool, like the specialized binding screw drill bits have).
I haven't used their insert tools, but I really like the quality and design of the screws. The ones I have use Torx, which I really like! Binding Freedom uses Pozi which I also like, just not as much as Torx.

Coffeeparrot

Post by Coffeeparrot » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:08 pm

Just picked up the Meidjo 3’s last week and got out on the the other day, great bindings! First new gear in 16 years. Coming from rossignol dirty bird 182’s from Jan 2008… they were ‘06 model I think. And the Scarpa T2X’s, which I honestly didn’t mind and had no problems with… I heard they didn’t age well for many people.

I’m heading out west next week and when I was on day one of my new setup (Stöckli Stormrider 88 + M3 + Crispi Evo) I was having a ball but I noticed the 2nd heal tension a bit tighter on one binding than the other despite the settings being identical. What’s up with that? Tonight I swapped a few springs around to no avail. I measure the pressure in grams using a coffee scale and it confirmed different enough values. I guess I should let go of the desire to have the threaded rods stick out the same length from the thumbscrew? Honestly the bindings could use a bit more power (resistance)… should I toss the inner spring in them? I am handy but decided to have them mounted by a pro who had done them a number of times before with the jig. There’s a jig for the M3’s where I live in Portland Maine and one in New Hampshire at least.

On the dirty birds I was all mountain… glades and steep as well as groomers and fast, topping out at 48mph measured, though I like to think I hit 50 at some point. That was probably enough for the Garmont 7tm power releasable telemark bindings with a free heel. In the trees we’re really not that nice to our skis here in Maine.

The Stormriders are 175cm and more manageable for me in the glades. Still skinny, but wider than the dirty birds (78mm). And the groom carving is snappier and I don’t have to go too fast to draw two thin lines in the snow. The titanal is awesome. Drill that really slow. I went with stock recommended mounting location. I also put the alpine heel on there but haven’t used it yet, which brought it up to 15 screws per side? Easy!

My ski buddy Mike got the outlaws on some atomics with the scarpa tx pro… so we’ll see how he goes when I’m back from out west by mid March. Should be interesting comparison.

Nice to read your thread gents.
Thanks,
Ben

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:49 am

Coffeeparrot wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:08 pm

I’m heading out west next week and when I was on day one of my new setup (Stöckli Stormrider 88 + M3 + Crispi Evo) I was having a ball but I noticed the 2nd heal tension a bit tighter on one binding than the other despite the settings being identical. What’s up with that? Tonight I swapped a few springs around to no avail. I measure the pressure in grams using a coffee scale and it confirmed different enough values. I guess I should let go of the desire to have the threaded rods stick out the same length from the thumbscrew? Honestly the bindings could use a bit more power (resistance)… should I toss the inner spring in them?
By second heel tension, you mean activity level?

Normally, I set the spring tension visually, but then make adjustments as needed to make them feel the same. It's usually very close. After a while (on the order of a hundred runs or so) the stock springs - both inner and outer - will compress. I've found that the best set up for me is a single stiff spring (Vs. stock). That's close to a stock inner + outer, but you don't have to crank the nut down as much. This gives slightly more range of motion. To get it similar to my Outlaw X's with the inner spring removed at "2", I use the stiff spring plus an inner and screw on the nut such that the screw isn't quite sticking out.

If you're measuring gram level differences in activity, that seems like serious overkill.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:11 pm

Update:
I have developed a preference for the Outlaw X. Ran them back to back on Rustler 9's. At that width, I could feel the Tx Pro boot sole twist under torque when edging on the Meidjo and could not detect that on the Outlaw X. That surprised me, as I thought the tech toes would hold the bot in a way that prevents twisting due to torque, but I think the duckbutt is held more effectively on the Outlaw X.
Also, after some use, getting into the OX has become MUCH easier with ski brakes that are more effective. Snow under the boot has prevented the ski brake from deploying on the Meidjo. That isn't a factor on the OX.

Additionally, swapping the OX between skis using inserts is a breeze, whereas with the Meidjo - especially with ski brakes - is more involved.