Leather Boots Care, Treatment and Maintenance

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: Leather Boots Care, Treatment and Maintenance

Post by randoskier » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Jy I honestly don't notice the weight, it is an 8oz gaiter, it is insignificant weight. Yeti Gaiters are not permanent, I use a dab of flexible glue to prevent the toe from rolling back (optional), but I can take off the gaiter at any time, The un-insulated Attak gaiter is no hotter than a regular gaiter. I have skied up to 20 May with them in Sweden. The British Royal Marines who developed this gaiter wear them in the summer too when training in Norway, they keep the bogs out of the boots. I just leave them on all season no problem, and they are lighter than a wet leather boot. Plus I don't have to carry a tube of boot wax and fart around with my boots during multi-week trips. They are superb in the Spring time when you get the condition of water-on-the ice; the mini lakes that form from snowmelt on top of the ice sheets of lakes (there is a Norwegian word for this condition, but I forget it)- they work almost like waders! I think today people tend to be over-focused on weight, same in backpacking, I have some good stories about the latter from Iceland last summer!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:22 am

All good points; I have one pair of Alico boots with a full coverage Yeti Expedition gaitor that I use in very cold conditions. It's nice to be able to lace up the boots, zip the gaitor and go. Really keeps the snow out. Same thing, I use a dab of rubber cement to hold the toe in place since it can roll up in wierd junk snow conditions. Otherwise it is maintenance free. Because of the tension of the rubber rands, I use wooden boot stretchers inside the boots when I'm not skiing.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am

Johnny wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 pm
Leather Ski Boots Care and Maintenance Wax and Oil.jpg
Leather Telemark Boots Care
Source: LilCliffy The Cobbler & Researcher

Zamberlan HydroBloc.jpg

Zamberlan
The Zamberlan HydroBloc cream is the exact stuff that I use religiously on all of my leather boots. I cannot say enough good stuff about it. It is water-based, designed to both condition and maintain leather- as well as keep it waterproof. There are a number of other manufacturers of similar products including Scarpa, Nikwax, etc. The only reason I prefer the Zamberlan product is because I have been able to get it easily (MEC), and at a good price.
I use the Zamberlan Hydro Bloc for Nubuck and Split Leather (pump spray) for my Alaska boots and for my wife's new Skaget boots. Not sure how it works because we wear over-boot gaiters making that point largely moot!

If I obey the speed limit (rare)- I live exactly 11 minutes from the Zamberlan factory (and their attached mountain shop/climbing wall) we pass it all the time on the way to both the Asiago plateau, the Piccolo Dolomiti, and the Dolomites proper. They are still proudly making boots in Italy (rare these days), wish they would make an Xplore boot. Whenever I have a leather question I head over there and get their opinion, they know a few things.

I use the same Zamberlan product that you do on my smooth black leather Zamberlan hiking boots.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:08 pm

This thread found me just in time before I waxed 2 new pairs of Crispi boots, 3 including my wife's. I had been using Sno Seal on all my leather prior. Still have a ton of the stuff so I'll just use it on gloves and choppers. I did my work boots which have a glued on sole and they started delaminating. Figuring the wax may be part of the problem, I cleaned the area with denatured alcohol in an attempt to remove the wax, and then glued them with Shoe Goo. Seems to be holding for now. One question, I have a pair of welted hiking boots that I used the wax on. I don't suppose there is anything I can do to remove it?

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:02 pm

wabene wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:08 pm
One question, I have a pair of welted hiking boots that I used the wax on. I don't suppose there is anything I can do to remove it?
Any good saddle soap and water, used with a soft natural bristle shoe brush, will strip the Snoseal off the leather. Use an old toothbrush to clean the stitching.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:07 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:02 pm
wabene wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:08 pm
One question, I have a pair of welted hiking boots that I used the wax on. I don't suppose there is anything I can do to remove it?
Great idea, thanks!

Any good saddle soap and water, used with a soft natural bristle shoe brush, will strip the Snoseal off the leather. Use an old toothbrush to clean the stitching.