A few toys for sale...

Want to sell some telemark and backcountry ski gear? Looking to buy or to trade? For years now this has been the best place on the web for telemark and backcountry skiers looking to buy or sell previously owned gear. Private party, used gear posts only, please.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

A few toys for sale...

Post by Johnny » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:59 pm

Alfa Free 42
Alpina Pioneer Pro 42
Asnes Nansen WL 205

Asnes MT65 200
Peltonen Metsa Step 270

Open to reasonable offers... 8-)
(No trades, I have way too much gear already.)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Re: A few toys for sale...

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:37 pm

Nobody here in Quebec wants a pair of 270cm Metsas? (I can't ship them, it would be too expensive...)

They are just THE COOLEST skis ever! But I don't really have much use for two pairs of 8-footers in the living room, one pair has to go or I'll get lynched... it's the law...

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:37 pm
Nobody here in Quebec wants a pair of 270cm Metsas? (I can't ship them, it would be too expensive...)

They are just THE COOLEST skis ever! But I don't really have much use for two pairs of 8-footers in the living room, one pair has to go or I'll get lynched... it's the law...
So @Johnny tu veux que l'on mette nos couples en péril pour sauver ta peau :?: Arranges-toi avec tes troubles comme on dit en bon français :lol:

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:51 pm

Aucun danger pour ton couple @Nitram Tocrut... Tous les hommes de la maison ont le droit d'avoir une paire de ski de 8 pieds... C'est la loi, et aucune femme ne peut revenir contre toi si tu n'as pas plus qu'une paire...

L'estie de probleme avec les magnifiques, resplendissants et majestueux skis de foret finlandais uniques et importés, c'est qu'apres la premiere paire, c'est fucking difficile d'arreter... 8-)

farnorth

Post by farnorth » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:35 am

How do you find the Peltonen Metsa skis? I'm looking at them and undecided between skins vs fishscale. Use will be for flat powder well below freezing.

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:28 pm

farnorth wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:35 am
How do you find the Peltonen Metsa skis? I'm looking at them and undecided between skins vs fishscale. Use will be for flat powder well below freezing.
Thought I'd jump in!
I'm doing a heck of a lot research into forest skis this winter. The scaled version is generally more lightweight as the base is thinner. It is plastic, the base on skin version is sintered. So the scale version is easier to take care of, and certainly has good glide in low temperatures and powder. But skin version can also take grip wax when necessary, and skins can be replaced if they ever wear out. And base is easier to glue back on, if glue ever failed. Generally it takes decades. Peltonen also made a basic wax base at some point, but discontinued it for lack of demand.

Cannot yet speak for the skins, I'm sure Johnny can as I think he has had both(?), but scales work quite okay for me. In challenging terrain I use a 38mm 210cm colltex mohair skin, which works well with scales. Still need to try that skin on skin thing. On flats and mild to moderate terrain you will be fine on scales only.

Not sure where the bindings are mounted, but make sure to mount so that the mid boot outsole is at 45,5% of the measured length from tail to tip in a straight line. If they already are not. Max float - not as efficient on hard bases, but hey, you said it, powder is calling! My 270s that lay on my floor undrilled, are 264cm long.

Definitely interested in a skin to scale comparison of this ski, too
Last edited by Theme on Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farnorth

Post by farnorth » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:05 am

@Theme How did you find them going up hills? Specifically on paths too narrow to herringbone.