Cancelled trip to southern New England

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Cancelled trip to southern New England

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm

Just had to cancel a trip to visit family that live in northwestern Connecticut, essentially the foothills of the Berkshire mountains. Skiing is not fantastic in that area, but it is where I grew up. Besides seeing family I have not seen in over a year, I was really looking forward to working on my ice prowess with cheap night-skiing since I recently got better fitting tele boots.

Mohawk Mountain (www.mohawkmtn.com) and Ski Sundown (www.skisundown.com) are the types of places skiers/riders literally spend more time going up the lift than coming down the mountain; vertical drops are 650-feet and 625-feet, respectively. There is one thing that these smaller New England mountains have in excess over the larger resorts, which is the charm of the ski lodge. In times of Covid restrictions, ski lodge charm are enjoyed less since more people gear-up on their tail gate and brown-bag it.

Long story short, the elderly family I would have been boarding at was the slightest bit uncomfortable to have visitors from Texas (a CT state ordained high-risk state). They didn't outright say it, but could be felt in the conversations. Although this consideration was discussed months ago in the planning stages of the trip, it may have been a consideration that was too far ahead in the calendar for some. The last thing I want is for my mother to be afraid of her own son visiting.

The trip is now a write-off in my books. Only the rental car company got something for nothing ($50 cancellation fee), but all other reservations were "refunded" (pure refund, future credit, etc).

COVID sucks for all. This story is just one anecdote where a ski-addicted person has to make extensive travel plans to get his ski fix, but with a COVID twist to the story. Happy 2021 to all. I hope "ski locals" are getting their fix more successfully than I am!!

N.B. For airfare refund, only the base fare and associated taxes/fees are refunded. Generally, add-on purchases are not refunded, such as early check-in, seat upgrade, etc.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: Cancelled trip to southern New England

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:41 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm
Just had to cancel a trip to visit family that live in northwestern Connecticut, essentially the foothills of the Berkshire mountains. Skiing is not fantastic in that area, but it is where I grew up. Besides seeing family I have not seen in over a year, I was really looking forward to working on my ice prowess with cheap night-skiing since I recently got better fitting tele boots.

Mohawk Mountain (www.mohawkmtn.com) and Ski Sundown (www.skisundown.com) are the types of places skiers/riders literally spend more time going up the lift than coming down the mountain; vertical drops are 650-feet and 625-feet, respectively. There is one thing that these smaller New England mountains have in excess over the larger resorts, which is the charm of the ski lodge. In times of Covid restrictions, ski lodge charm are enjoyed less since more people gear-up on their tail gate and brown-bag it.

Long story short, the elderly family I would have been boarding at was the slightest bit uncomfortable to have visitors from Texas (a CT state ordained high-risk state). They didn't outright say it, but could be felt in the conversations. Although this consideration was discussed months ago in the planning stages of the trip, it may have been a consideration that was too far ahead in the calendar for some. The last thing I want is for my mother to be afraid of her own son visiting.

The trip is now a write-off in my books. Only the rental car company got something for nothing ($50 cancellation fee), but all other reservations were "refunded" (pure refund, future credit, etc).

COVID sucks for all. This story is just one anecdote where a ski-addicted person has to make extensive travel plans to get his ski fix, but with a COVID twist to the story. Happy 2021 to all. I hope "ski locals" are getting their fix more successfully than I am!!

N.B. For airfare refund, only the base fare and associated taxes/fees are refunded. Generally, add-on purchases are not refunded, such as early check-in, seat upgrade, etc.
Texas? They are probably more worried about firearms than Covid. :lol:

mvwmvw

Post by mvwmvw » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:33 am

Mohawk has free skiing for anyone willing to skin up. Sundown I'm at most sundays b/c my son is in the race devo program and loving it.
Berkshire East is my fave for just a day trip on a normal weekend. Big tele community there, and one the more interesting cats from there is in the newer TGR film, In Pursuit of Soul.
https://youtu.be/ifbKVYn4UCg

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:44 pm

mvwmvw wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:33 am
Berkshire East is my fave for just a day trip on a normal weekend. Big tele community there
https://youtu.be/ifbKVYn4UCg
Berkshire East... I've never been. But if it's good enough for the tribe, then I'l have to put it on my list.

I am leaving to visit family in Connecticut this upcoming Friday, crossing fingers on non-cancellation. With the COVID stuff making people a little less on edge, seems like the best time to go. I cancelled my trip to see ski joring in Leadville. My sister has a horse in CT, and I have skis, soooooo?....... :lol:

Berkshire East is a 2-hour drive... so depending on schedules, I hope to check it out.

Weird thing on B.E.'s website... "Full day pass" less expensive than "4-hour pass"?
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 20.39.00.png

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:53 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:41 pm
Connecticut legislation is not terribly adverse to gun ownership. Believe they still allow open carry, albeit, if memory serves me right, almost no reciprocity with any other state.

Now public sentiment on firearms... Sandy Hook really took a toll, many are still healing from that one.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:58 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:53 pm
randoskier wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:41 pm
Connecticut legislation is not terribly adverse to gun ownership. Believe they still allow open carry, albeit, if memory serves me right, almost no reciprocity with any other state.

Now public sentiment on firearms... Sandy Hook really took a toll, many are still healing from that one.
My sister lived in Sandy Hook ,one mile from the school, she moved to Washington Depot after the murders of the children.