Allegany State Park

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Allegany State Park

Post by trashcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Just getting around to posting this-- Had a great weekend at Allegany State Park in NY just a few weekends ago. Rented a cabin ($80/night) that had heat and electricity, a stove, a refrigerator, and four beds. Really wonderful place for some low-angle skiing. The first day my partner and I just tooled around on what are bike trails in the summer. The second day we hit the Art Roscoe ski area, and I highly recommend it. They've got to have almost twenty miles of groomed and tracked trails, with one run (snowsnake) that's particularly fun, with some nice hills that are navigable on skinnies but still pretty quick.

We also hit a hiking trail behind the red house administrative building that was not intended for skiing, but it was definitely skiable (and the most "backcountry") of all the places we went. Very little undergrowth so lots of room to bail out to the sides when you need to, and a lot of room for "improvisation." Didn't realize that this park used to be a ski mecca into the late seventies with two big ol' ski jumps and a bunch of races annually. Would be great to get some more back-country minded folk out there sometime.

Does anyone ski there regularly?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Allegany State Park

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:10 am

That's pretty far west for you. I've camped and skied in the Allegany Nat. Forest back in the day and there was good terrain and snow but the accommodations where you stayed sounds pretty nice.