Beware the Ides.

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
User avatar
mikesee
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Beware the Ides.

Post by mikesee » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm

For they will put strange, silly, wonderful ideas into your head.

P3020086.jpg

Just like that we've turned the corner into a certain multi-sport season.

P3020166.JPG

Time to tighten up your list of objectives that needs attending to before the snow runs out.

"

Thanks for checkin' in.

User avatar
Smitty
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Alberta, Canada
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by Smitty » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Congrats on the beauty day! Thanks for posting that.





User avatar
joeatomictoad
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 pm
Location: Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Occupation: Professional Bird Counter, specializing in birds located in hands & bushes

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:33 pm

If Caesar frequented the mountains, perhaps this warning would foreshadow a nasty avalanche instead of an assassination. But in all honesty, if a fortune teller told you to be aware of avalanche on 15-Mar, which was forecast to be a perfect bluebird day... how many would actually heed this warning, and how many would not?





User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 am
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance
Occupation: Beyond

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by Stephen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:45 pm

667 would, and 978 would not.
14 would be undecided.
336 would be doing something else, and not care.





User avatar
mikesee
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by mikesee » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:45 pm
667 would, and 978 would not.
14 would be undecided.
336 would be doing something else, and not care.

Of the 978, approximately 777 would quibble over which Asnes ski model would make them appear most like their neighbor -- while buried under a mountain of quikrete.

And of the 667, well over 600 would be at home, googling "wax with polar".





User avatar
Woodserson
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10
Occupation: Retro Rager-grouch. Flailmeister. E99 Nerd

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 pm

Beyond epic. I love the mix & match.

Inserts in the Objs? How they holding up? I've always been a little iffy shiffy on inserts in the Paulownia. How does the tap do?





User avatar
lowangle al
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:08 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:33 pm
If Caesar frequented the mountains, perhaps this warning would foreshadow a nasty avalanche instead of an assassination. But in all honesty, if a fortune teller told you to be aware of avalanche on 15-Mar, which was forecast to be a perfect bluebird day... how many would actually heed this warning, and how many would not?
They have fortune tellers that forecast avalanches in the form of avy information centers. Most people who read them heed the advice, it's those that don't who get in trouble.





User avatar
lowangle al
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:12 am

mikesee wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm
For they will put strange, silly, wonderful ideas into your head.


P3020086.jpg


Just like that we've turned the corner into a certain multi-sport season.


P3020166.JPG


Time to tighten up your list of objectives that needs attending to before the snow runs out.

"

Thanks for checkin' in.
Great TR and photos Mike. It's tough to beat a trip that includes skiing and paddling on the same day.





User avatar
mikesee
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by mikesee » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:56 am

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 pm
Beyond epic. I love the mix & match.

Inserts in the Objs? How they holding up? I've always been a little iffy shiffy on inserts in the Paulownia. How does the tap do?

I don't have a lot of experience tapping into wood, so I'm not sure how to respond.

I proceeded slowly and delicately. And used QK's Rescue inserts to get as much purchase as possible.

And bought a bigger set of boots so that I can keep both fingers *and* toes crossed when using them on a big traverse next month...





User avatar
joeatomictoad
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 pm
Location: Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Occupation: Professional Bird Counter, specializing in birds located in hands & bushes

Re: Beware the Ides.

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:24 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:08 am
They have fortune tellers that forecast avalanches in the form of avy information centers.
Good call. Instead of reading tea leaves, now they're reading snow pits. Bit more reliable for avalanche safety, but now you get a crap cup of tea!





Post Reply