Back in the saddle

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Back in the saddle

Post by randoskier » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:13 pm

After a horrible 2020 with no Nordic trips due to the intense and very deadly level of Covid here in Italy we decided to go to Sweden for 3 weeks in March 2021. Norway was not possible due to restrictions there. We flew to Stockholm and took the sleeper train to Abisko in the arctic (18 hrs.). We skied the Kungsleden from Abisko to Nikkaluokta veering off the main trail to take the side valley called the Visstassviaggi (a Sami name). PIc 9 is topping out the climb from the Alesjaure hut to the high-point of the Visstassvaggi, from there it is all downhill, a 450 meters (1600ft) drop straight down the valley I am facing. A stunningly beautiful descent, Saw Swedish Saab fighter jets flying low valley routes. In normal years I avoid the Kungsleden trail mainly because of overcrowding. There were very few people skiing this year, it was wonderful. Extremely cold -27, great snow. After we skied that section which was six days we took a train several hours south to Umea and a long bus west to Ammarnas. We skied up the Vindal River (3rd pic) then up through the Vindalfjall range via Dalavardo rejoining the Kungsleden at Tärnsjö and skiing it to to Hemavan (with small airport). Absolutely wonderful skiing the whole way. One day had sustained (27 hrs. !) 50 mph winds with much higher gusts and intermittent snow (pic 5: my wife dressed for that weather). Otherwise good weather/snow. On one site (Forsavn) there were four cabins and we were trying to find the county cabin we had the key for. We figured it was the one with the big flag pole. tried all the doors could not get in, tried the one 100 meters across and bingo. At the STF Syter cabin the next night the host said it would have been funny if an old grey haired man had opened the door of the first cabin and we had asked him if he was the host, I asked why. He said because that would be the King of Sweden, and that was his fishing cabin you were trying to enter.
DSC09576.jpg
20210328_130058[1].jpg
20210324_123052[1].jpg
s3.jpg
s1ss.jpg
The dryer.jpg
s4.jpg
c.jpg
s1.jpg
20210327_085241[1].jpg
Last edited by randoskier on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slidey_Hiker
Ski style: Uncoordinated

Re: Back in the saddle

Post by Slidey_Hiker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Looks like an awesome trip!

Is that pulk home-made?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:40 am

Yeah Slidey they are made out of a $39 Jet Sled Jr. The Norwegians (in the land of the Fjellpulk $$$$) are fascinated by them. Their matching cover costs $20. The traces are made from 1/2" fiberglass fence posts with ball joints on both ends. They are attached to the sled in U-channels trimmed out of alu stock. We have removable skegs for side hilling and some descents, made out of alu L-stock. The harnesses are army surplus molle belts- you really need the shoulder harness too if you have any hills, Straps are easy to make/attach. There is a lot of info online about hacking pulk sleds, some of it contains good ideas, others are questionable for any intended serious usage. We used some of those ideas then developed some on our own- We prefer these Jet sleds to the orange Paris sleds that a lot of other people use- they are shorter. We fly a lot to Norway, Sweden and Finland and these are normally within the size for standard luggage charges and they nest. The traces travel in our ski bags. This is our second version, They are so inexpensive that on one trip to the Saltfjellet in Norway we pulled off our hardware and gave the sleds to our friend who is a Sami reindeer-herder because it was cheaper than flying them home on the return flight. They are tough, well-made sleds and pull + maneuver fine. I used to carry a 100 liter pack on those long trips but since I began carrying a heavy winter-tent for security on all northern trips, including hut to hut (tired of snow-holes), decided to get the load off my back. Glad I did! If you are interested in making one I can put up a more detailed post with a parts list.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:22 pm

Very cool!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:07 am

That sounds like a great trip. You're lucky to be able to take off like that.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:56 pm

This is fantastic, thanks for the great write-up and pictures on your tour in Sweden! Really gets the imagination going!

Slidey_Hiker
Ski style: Uncoordinated

Post by Slidey_Hiker » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 am

randoskier wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:40 am
If you are interested in making one I can put up a more detailed post with a parts list.
I've got a ton of ongoing projects to finish before I do this build, so I might ask about that at a later date, so thanks! Already have the Jet-Sled for hunting and ice fishing so that's at least one step down.