A new trail in Swedish Lapland (southern Lapland)

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

A new trail in Swedish Lapland (southern Lapland)

Post by randoskier » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm

When I was in Sweden last year the county was working on finishing this new trail or we would have continued and done it. This new trail extends the famous Kungsleden (King's Trail, 440km) another 190km to the south.

I love the Sami woman's leather coffee pouch in the video clip. The Sami ("Lapp" is considered slightly derogatory and the Sami call Lappland- Sapmi) are a very interesting people, my wife and I are close friends with a Sami family we have known for many years that is still herding reindeer on the Saltfjellet in Norway (A seven or eight day ski from the north terminus of this new trail). A wonderful culture.

BTW the greatest skier who ever lived came from Hemavan/Tarnaby- Ingemar Stenmark.

In my opinion Sweden over-marks their winter trails with these orange/red Xs on poles every 20 meters or so, they are ugly year around! In Norway they only mark Winter trails south of Trondheim (so the ones I do not ski) and they use tree branches so when the snow melts they just fall over and look natural. They only do the marking around Easter because that is the massive national ski pilgrimage to the cabins (and a good time not to travel there!). In the the north of Norway no winter trails are blazed or marked and no winter routes are marked on the topo maps anywhere in Norway. You plan your own route before you go and you do your own navigation. The planning is quite time consuming (and fun!!). Good winter navigation skills are essential, if not go to Sweden hahaha.

Karta svart.png

randoskier

Re: A new trail in Swedish Lapland (southern Lapland)

Post by randoskier » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:35 pm

randoskier wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm
When I was in Sweden last year the county was working on finishing this new trail or we would have continued and done it. This new trail extends the famous Kungsleden (King's Trail, 440km) another 190km to the south. Here is the winter route stage by stage description to read with Google translate-
https://www.naturkartan.se/sv/trips/lap ... -vinterled#

I love the Sami woman's leather coffee pouch in the video clip. The Sami ("Lapp" is considered slightly derogatory and the Sami call Lappland- Sapmi) are a very interesting people, my wife and I are close friends with a Sami family we have known for many years that is still herding reindeer on the Saltfjellet in Norway (A seven or eight day ski from the north terminus of this new trail). A wonderful culture.

BTW the greatest skier who ever lived came from Hemavan/Tarnaby- Ingemar Stenmark.

In my opinion Sweden over-marks their winter trails with these orange/red Xs on poles every 20 meters or so, they are ugly year around! In Norway they only mark Winter trails south of Trondheim (so the ones I do not ski) and they use tree branches so when the snow melts they just fall over and look natural. They only do the marking around Easter because that is the massive national ski pilgrimage to the cabins (and a good time not to travel there!). In the the north of Norway no winter trails are blazed or marked and no winter routes are marked on the topo maps anywhere in Norway. You plan your own route before you go and you do your own navigation. The planning is quite time consuming (and fun!!). Good winter navigation skills are essential, if not go to Sweden hahaha.

Hemavan is easy to get to in winter, it has a small airport- fly to Stockholm on any airline then fly Amapola Airlines to Hemvan (twin prop Fokker 50) beautiful flight if it is daylight and clear. Normally one flight per day, 50 passengers.

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Southern Norway in the summer a couple times, but would love to go in the winter for some skiing!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:35 am

chris_the_wrench wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Southern Norway in the summer a couple times, but would love to go in the winter for some skiing!
This is quite a ways from southern Norway, it is 12.5hr 1,015km drive north from Oslo to Hemavan. I have walked extensively in Norway, and Sweden. We do a 3-week trip each summer. My feet are still wet.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:25 am

randoskier wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:35 am
I have walked extensively in Norway, and Sweden. We do a 3-week trip each summer. My feet are still wet.
What's that you say? Go out på tur in Skandinavien and finish med wet feeties?

https://www.lundhags.com/en/footwear/me ... ing-boots/

Never again.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:12 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:25 am
randoskier wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:35 am
I have walked extensively in Norway, and Sweden. We do a 3-week trip each summer. My feet are still wet.
What's that you say? Go out på tur in Skandinavien and finish med wet feeties?

https://www.lundhags.com/en/footwear/me ... ing-boots/

Never again.
Tusen takk!

the Big Mao

Post by the Big Mao » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:36 pm

That would be a blast! My Swedish is really bad, but it's still time for fika.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 am

the Big Mao wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:36 pm
That would be a blast! My Swedish is really bad, but it's still time for fika.
They sure can down that coffee!