Redearth Creek to Shadow Lake

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
KDog
Ski style: Multi-Glisse

Re: Redearth Creek to Shadow Lake

Post by KDog » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:46 pm

Smitty wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:11 am

Definitely nothing wrong with a soak and an apres ski in Radium KDog, that's a beauty valley to spend time in! I think my day may have ended something like that had I been skiing with my wife
Western Canada has so many awesome soaks and my wife loves them, so our trips are often planned around hot springs! We lived for a time in the Kootenays in the little mining town of Ymir, south of Nelson BC. We love that area and it's skiing, but it was also close enough to explore the Columbia valley and the Rockies as well. We miss being up there all the time!
IMGP0056.jpeg

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am

Alberta is really beautiful! During the winter of 2005 when we were living in the Cascades there was a PNW snow draught- I think Whistler opened for like only a couple of weeks that year- disaster. So we made two 2-week trips to Banff skiing Sunshine and Lake Louise. I thought Banff, being an old established resort, would either be noveau-snooty/fake-chalet/Vail-like, or stuffy (THE FURS). But found it to be very down to earth and friendly. Stayed in a converted lumber camp with a cluster of nicely renovated historic cabins- I just looked at their current prices they are CRACKED now. We drove out to to Kicking Horse which was a fairly new 3-bowl ski area (big mountain), I remember the town under KH (at least back then) consisted of people who were mostly employed operating cranes, huge dump trucks, back-hoes, and graders (not a Gucci shop in site). No foo foo stuff. In my climbing days I always wanted to do a mixed climbing project on the Columbia Icefield, north of Banff but never got to it before I left North America for good. The Canadian Rockies are by far the most beautiful mountains that I ever saw in North America (and I lived in both the Rockies and Cascades); with the caveat that I have never been to Alaska (and never will- the Palins ruined it for me).
Last edited by randoskier on Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:04 am

Smitty wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:13 am

Nothing better than a pub dinner and a pint after a ski!
Redearth 13.jpg
Yes there is Smitty! A pub dinner and TWO pints, hell.. three pints! Hell....

@Smitty Was that a steak and kidney pie?