Cabins along the way in Norway

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Cabins along the way in Norway

Post by randoskier » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Most of them are free and well-kept, some even have a soul.
DSC02993.jpg
DSC02985.jpg
DSC02762.jpg
20220405_103046.jpg
20220404_163636.jpg
20220404_161724.jpg
20220402_175041.jpg
20220402_171205.jpg

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: Cabins along the way in Norway

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am

This is the kind of post that fuels my desire for a Norwegian winter getaway for a couple of weeks of skiing.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

Who built/maintains the cabins @Inspiredcapers ?

Nice boot cover-gators on your Alpinas. Looks like they fit very well. What brand are they?
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:00 pm

I honestly have no idea who organizes the hut system over there…probably a question Randoskier or Theme would be able to answer better. Wish we had something along those lines in BC.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:18 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am
This is the kind of post that fuels my desire for a Norwegian winter getaway for a couple of weeks of skiing.
"Weeks?!"
Don't they have a 90 day limit in the Schengen Zone?
Sign me up!
8-)

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:24 am

@GrimSurfer @Inspiredcapers, there are several systems of cabins. They are either belonging to the Norwegian Trekking association (DNT) (300'000 members and over 500 cabins), local municipalities or non profit public agencies such as forestry management agencies (as some of these in this post), or private cabins which can be rented over AirBNB or craigslist style sites (finn.no).
Some of these basic cabins (outhouse, no power/water) are free to use, especially the municipality / public agency cabins. Many other basic cabins can be rented for varying fees, from ~100 NOK / 10 USD per night and up. In those you can expect to find a stove with propane, and dry firewood. The price is sometimes so low it makes me wonder how they can maintain the cabins for the economy.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:54 am

Nice to see that sense of “community” connect to a sport. Not sure if that happens much in North America any more… maybe small pockets (like Gatineau Hills… bee a while since I’ve been up to those cabins, so don’t know if they’re still around).

The workmanship on the Norwegian cabins is really nice. Reminds me of some of the structures atbthe top of Lake Superior… reputedly built by Finns in the 20s and 30s as they did journeyman work on the way out West.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:42 am

Roelant, thanks for the reply and information. You’ve provided useful information as a person researches for a future trip.

I have to somewhat correct myself regarding backcountry huts here in the Canadian Rockies- there are several dozen available (many run by The Alpine Club of Canada) and I’ve found several privately owned huts/cabins during hikes/ski outings over the last few years. I was alluding more to a linked system (such as what’s found in Norway) for a hut to hut experience.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:42 pm

Read an article a few months ago about Parks Canada having to dismantle one of those cabins due to instability… it was really old though. A hundred years maybe.

Regardless, these “little treasures” are worth preserving… they rank, in my mind, with World Heritage sites. They’re not as grand but they are little windows to simpler times and sensibilities.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:44 am

- All XC trails are free to use, prepared tracks or not
- There is a right to roam in Norway. This is explained in this little brochure:
https://www.miljodirektoratet.no/sharep ... IPRWLN4QCB
In few words: There is no such thing as trespassing unless you are on cultivated land. You can cross, camp, forage for berries or mushrooms, fish in saltwater, regardless of who owns the land.

https://www.inatur.no/ Rental of various cabins (1250 in Norway, public or private) and hunting / fishing licenses. Press "Menu" on the right to find the option to switch to English.

Cabins from the Norwegian Trekking Agency and some of the government agency ones. Need to be a member to get a key for the ones which are not "ulåst" (unlocked). You usually cannot book the whole cabin, just your own bed. The free cabins cannot be booked.
https://ut.no/kart#7.39/62.499/11.814

Map of "open cabins", free to use.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 97185&z=11

Cheers
Roelant