ski Mt Lassen this summer. 2023

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
jyw5

ski Mt Lassen this summer. 2023

Post by jyw5 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to ski Mt. Lassen, California this sunmer.

I want to go when the snow poses no avalanche danger. Probably in mid-late June? maybe before the road from the campground to the trailhead opens but not too early so I am not postholing through 4ft of rotten snow or worse, skiing solid sheet of ice. It is about 17 miles roundtrip with approx 3900ft vertical to reach the summit from the Visitor Center campground.

Depending on the conditions and relative difficulty, I would either use an AT setup or NNN-BC with one of my Asnes skis. The first 3000ft is a gradual ascent. There may require some boot packing and scrambling at the top depending on conditions. I have hiked the trail in September when it is completely snow free (it's a very easy hike).

Any info would be appreciated. Anyone want to go?

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Re: ski Mt Lassen this summer. 2023

Post by paulzo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

Don't wait til june. Late April/Early May is the best corn usually, and the snowpack is generally stable by then. I have not been to the top on skis but have circumnavigated the mountain on skis.
I've come in from the north and the south to Lake Helen area.
From the north, we started at Manzanita Lake, went around the west side of the peak, there is a nice ramp that leads up to the saddle between Eagle Peak and the main peak. You want to get around to about where the summer trail goes, or to the east of that a bit.

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

Don't wait til June. Late April/Early May is the best corn usually, and the snowpack is generally stable by then. I have not been to the top on skis but have circumnavigated the mountain on skis.
From the north, we started at Manzanita Lake, went around the west side of the peak, there is a nice ramp that leads up to the saddle between Eagle Peak and the main peak. You want to get around to about where the summer trail goes, or to the east of that a bit.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:42 pm

paulzo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm
Don't wait til June. Late April/Early May is the best corn usually, and the snowpack is generally stable by then. I have not been to the top on skis but have circumnavigated the mountain on skis.
thanks for the info! That trip will have to wait. I have back to back trips planned for april-may.

mikesee
Ski style: Tours for turns

Post by mikesee » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:43 pm

17 miles is a long day on skis in that terrain.