Voile Objective BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: Voile Objective BC Ski Review

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:55 am

lilcliffy wrote: If I bought this ski...I would be bringing them with me when I occasionally ski at the local resort. Would be fun to carve with my kids with xcountry "shoes"!
As much as I don't like scales on groomers, I think I'd do the same.

Let me see how long it takes me to snap the old Tuas I have (they have lots of holes, so I don't suspect too long) and then maybe I'll have to buy a pair of these.

Really I thought the Storetind with the skinlock would be the ski for that... but it appears it has been replaced. It looks like now the Falketind 68 would be the next best thing.

The Tind 85 would be more comparable in shape and width, but it doesn't compete with weight.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am

Actually the Tind 76 is a close competitor. Not quite as much width, but weight should be comparable in 180cm. Construction materials seem similar.

Having the skinlock makes it more attractive to me than Objective. Ideally, a set of each would be cool - one with scales, one with skinlock/wax.

For purely off-piste XCD, I think the scales would be fine though.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 pm

MikeK wrote:Actually the Tind 76 is a close competitor. Not quite as much width. Having the skinlock makes it more attractive to me than Objective. Ideally, a set of each would be cool - one with scales, one with skinlock/wax.
1- The Objective comes in two versions: wax and waxless.
2- The Objective is fatter and lighter at the same time
3- None of the Asnes skis are waxless.
4- SkinLocks may be more hip to you, they are not better than normal mohair kicker skins... They just attach in a different way... In fact, kickers are cooler because they will fit any skis...
5- Kicker skins work very well with fish scales...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:35 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Image
MikeK wrote:Actually the Tind 76 is a close competitor. Not quite as much width. Having the skinlock makes it more attractive to me than Objective. Ideally, a set of each would be cool - one with scales, one with skinlock/wax.
1- The Objective comes in two versions: wax and waxless.
2- The Objective is fatter and lighter at the same time
3- None of the Asnes skis are waxless.
4- SkinLocks may be more hip to you, they are not better than normal mohair kicker skins... They just attach in a different way... In fact, kickers are cooler because they will fit any skis...
5- Kicker skins work very well with fish scales...
Hahaha! Thanks Lucy! I'm just a big 'ole blockhead.

1- Yup, I know... but the wax version doesn't have skinlock ;)
2- Yup, I see that from the Tind 85 which is more similar in dimensions
3- Yup - I'd go for the Voile for a fishscale ski 8-)
4- This, I need to see... maybe skinlocks suck. The attachment is the whole appeal to me. Kicker skins look far too fiddly for my cold fingers.
5- Yes, but if I want to ski on piste, wax base works better IMO :P

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:14 pm

You guys are hilarious
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:22 am

I love the ski concept but can't shake the idea that it would be amazing if it were just 2-4cm longer.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:21 am

I suspect if it does well, Voile will offer it in the 184-185 range, which would be nice for those among us who weigh more than a feather.

The pictures make it look like it has a lot of tip rocker, considerably more than the vector?

ETA: actually, those pictures look like you're holding the women's Supercharger skis? That's based on the color and the lack of notch in the tip for skins.

versus

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:23 am

dnt_upton wrote:I suspect if it does well, Voile will offer it in the 184-185 range, which would be nice for those among us who weigh more than a feather.
That'd be great... All we need to do is show interest...! (Read: buy them!) 8-)
The pictures make it look like it has a lot of tip rocker, considerably more than the vector?
The camera angle makes it look that way... But it's the same amount of rocker found on other Voile skis...
ETA: actually, those pictures look like you're holding the women's Supercharger skis?
The ski reviewed here is the Objective BC. There was a first blue and white prototype made last March, this is the production model but with trial graphics... (And without the notch...!)
IMG_34832.jpg

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for the clarifications.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 am

Ok, so after a few months on the Objectives, I can only say that this is the best BC ski ever. It's just the best ski in its category. It's lighter than the Kom, lighter than the Annum, lighter than the Helio Carbon 88 and lighter than the S-Bounds 112.

On the ascent, breaking trail into several feet of snow feels super easy, thanks to the perfectly tuned rocker. The ski stays on top of the snow without any effort. And because of that, the ski feels even lighter, you just don't even notice it. Hard to believe, but I never experienced something like this before on a "fat" ski. The scales climb very well with that 84mm waist. (Last time I skied with Bri7, he had to put his skins on on his annum at some point, while I never did...)
OBJ1.jpg
Now on the descent, they are just the greatest thing. They turn like crazy. Turn initiation is the easiest I ever seen on any BC ski. The shape, the weight and the rocker is just perfect. Suddenly, you will feel like you could do ski ballet on your way down, even on the most difficult terrain. On steep and super tight woods, I found myself whistling old-fashioned Christmas songs while negotiating very technical lines.

The Objective is the first rockered "fat" cross-country ski. Something I have been waiting for since I started the telly thing. Yep, it's a cross-country ski. Because it still can be skied with any XC leather shoes, with either NNNBC bindings or cableless pins. No need for stupid plastic boots or 1k$ tech bindings. It is just the ultimate XCD BC ski.
OBJ3.jpg
I found one bad thing though: The Objective will completely annihilate your bad case of GAS, the famous Gear Acquisition Syndrome. This is the only BC ski you will ever need. In fact, since I got them, I stopped dreaming about the dream ski... This is the Holy Grail of XCD...

Oh, just one last thing Voile... If you're reading this, I know the low-profile tips have been the trend for the last 20 years... I never understood this... But guys, this is a BC powder ski. When skiing bottomless powder, we need a lot more than this! Please bring back real powder high tips like it's 1950!!!
OBJ4.jpg