The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by paulzo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you Crister for all your information. What you you say is the closest thing in the Asnes lineup to a waxless Falketind?

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Nick BC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am
Great to get your input Christer, helps in making choices. When I look at the Voile Traverse though, it's about the same weight as my TTS set-up on several pairs of my skis. I can see the Traverse as being OK if the climb is gradual where stride and glide is possible, but if you need climbing bars then the free pivot of the TTS is a bonus- especially if you're a really old geezer like me.

I am so glad I snagged a pair of Scarpa TX NTN boots (three buckle) when I heard they were being discontinued. They're about 3.3kg, more than a T4, but the dh control with TTS is worth the weight penalty on the up.

You mentioned that Rottefella were working on a new binding. That's great news, the Freedom and Freeride seem to have been eclipsed by Meidjo, TTS and the 22 Designs Lynx. The increased edge control of the tech toe is so much better plus you have total free pivot without additional hardware and weight.
I think I would be hard pressed to use the Traverse on a ski where I'm not going to be using my leather boots, that's the appeal. Once I strap on a plastic buckled boot I'm going for cartridges, either the Voile HW or the X2. The Traverse is great at straddling leather boots and plastic depending on what you're doing that day with the same ski. I can take one ski, but two boots and have a different experience.

And as an aside, I, for one, me, not saying this is true for everyone so don't freak out, but I DO NOT LIKE FREE PIVOT. I've had enough years free-pivoting around in my Fritschis and the movement is just wrong, it's not natural, it feels weird. I much, much prefer climbing without free pivot binding, which is why so many of my skis have the 3pin Hardwire toe piece with the X2 cartridges-- natural climbing and power for the down. (works up to about mid-90 waist then X2 Binding... and then I suffer with the dumb free-pivot.)
Hi!

I agree with you. I'm not found of the pivot bindings either, mainly because I have skied a lot of them to death. I have destroyed far too many pivot telemark bindings, so I just don't like them. Not to say that they won't work for many, but I don't like things that break. I tend to choose heavier equipment to avoid destroying it.

Not o brag or anything, but I would argue that I possibly ski a bit harder than most, so what does not work for me might very well work for many others.

I agree with you in terms of binding choice and the Traverse too.
Unfortunately, I do not do a lot of telemark skiing with wider skis and plastic boots anymore, so if I'm going into alpine terrain I will choose rugged AT gear most likely. I like to charge, jump and ski big lines - as that has been my profession for many years. And as a former downhill skier heavier and more rugged AT gear gives me the confidence to charge hard, unlike with lighter gear and telemark bindings.

I may a bit "damaged" and affected by my former job as a mountain guide too, as the worst scenario ever would be to be stuck in the mountains with a group of guests and broken equipment....
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Åsnes1922
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am

paulzo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm
Thank you Crister for all your information. What you you say is the closest thing in the Asnes lineup to a waxless Falketind?
Hi!

The closest Waxless option would be the Ingstad BC WL.

But, I would argue that you can manage a long way with a pair of regular FT62's and a set of 30mm Mohair X-Skins (40mm Race X-Skin, as optional) and a pair of 58mm Mohair X-Skins. That would be a really versatile combination. If you also get a pair of 45mm mix or mohair full-length skins, you should be able to handle most conditions really well. Just make sure to treat your skins well with skinwax often.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:07 am

Nick BC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am
Great to get your input Christer, helps in making choices. When I look at the Voile Traverse though, it's about the same weight as my TTS set-up on several pairs of my skis. I can see the Traverse as being OK if the climb is gradual where stride and glide is possible, but if you need climbing bars then the free pivot of the TTS is a bonus- especially if you're a really old geezer like me.

I am so glad I snagged a pair of Scarpa TX NTN boots (three buckle) when I heard they were being discontinued. They're about 3.3kg, more than a T4, but the dh control with TTS is worth the weight penalty on the up.

You mentioned that Rottefella were working on a new binding. That's great news, the Freedom and Freeride seem to have been eclipsed by Meidjo, TTS and the 22 Designs Lynx. The increased edge control of the tech toe is so much better plus you have total free pivot without additional hardware and weight.
Hi.

Thanks, and good to hear that you appreciate the input.

I love the Scarpa TX and the TX Pro boot, it's such a great boot.

Pierre Gignoux, the genius (or brainiac?) behind carbon AT-boots and super lightweight competition bindings, is working on a really lightweight telemark boot. I saw a few prototypes last year, and the development looks good. I think they will weigh in at around 700grams, and as I can understand, The M Equipment (that makes the Meidjo binding) is in on the development.

Further more, ss far as I understand, Rottefella is working on a new kind of binding to fit really well with "hybrid skis" like the Rabb and FT62. It is mainly BC focused like the Rottefella BC, but with some kind of Tech-solution. I believe it will fill in the gap between 75mm pin bindings and tech/tele-tech bindings. I really look forward to giving their new binding a test ride.

I have skied a fair bit on both the Meidjo and the Lynx, and I prefer the Lynx. Not entirely sure why, but I have had some problems with all the plastic parts in the Meidjo. The tech-heel option of Meidjo is also really expensive!

But in general, I agree, the edge control and the tech-toe makes a huge difference. Both in weight, effectiveness while stiding and when climbing.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 pm

The Nosi has dimensions that are absolutely classic. In the late 90s I had several skis with something around the Nosi dimensions... 108-76-108. Why are they the only ski that comes in without a longer length? This could be a killer ski in a 188.

I had two pairs of Igneous Mid-Fat Carvers at 108-76-100 and two pairs of Line Dragons at 110-76-101. Boy I miss seeing these dimensions! I skied the Igneous in Utah for an entire season, deep pow, 190cm, no problemo. Wonderful shape to a ski. With the famous ASNES ROCKER I bet they are amazing... would love to see in a 188!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 am

The Nosi was on my wish list last season... But my 2019 ski budget was already busted before spring skiing... 8-)

The Nosi is the Karhu Guide of the future. THE perfect sidecut and width for everything BC. Super light, Nordic Rockered and surfy tails. This is what the ridiculously obselete Annum should be like.

If there was a Waxless Nosi, I would already own 5 pairs. And so would you...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Asnes website update- new 2019-2020 lineup:
https://www.en.asnes.com/
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm
Asnes website update- new 2019-2020 lineup:
https://www.en.asnes.com/
Wow! That was fast!
You guys picked it up before we have even finished!
Thanks for noticing and sharing the update to our webpage.

I'll treat you with this as well, while we're waiting for winter:

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Beautiful video Crister!

It is difficult for me to tell from the photos...
Based on your earlier posts- I am under the impression that the Rabb 68 has been redesigned again? Is this correct?

I also seem to remember you mention that you have NNN-BC mounted on the Rabb 68- is this true? And- if so- why would you mount NNNBC on the Rabb 68, how do you like it, and what boot are using with this setup?
Thanks,
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 pm