Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
estebao

Re: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by estebao » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Hello,
I am looking for a ski to use half of the time in groomed tracks and half of the time in the backcountry. I leaning towards the Borge Ousland, because supposedly it fits into groomed tracks. I was wondering whether anybody here has first-had experience using the Ousland in groomed tracks? The other ski I am considering is the MR48s, as it should fit groomed tracks even better.
Thank you for your advice!
Stefan

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:06 pm

I never brought the Ouslands on the tracks, but I did it with the MR48s several times and they are awesome...!
Super kick, super glide, super freaking fast and much more than this... 8-)

The Ouslands would be quite more stable in the BC than the MR though... So Borge might be a nice compromise for what you do...?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

estebao

Post by estebao » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 pm

Thanks Johnny, that sounds really good about the MR48s! Somebody wrote on this forum that the Gamme 54 was scraping on the sides of the track. The dimensions of the Ousland and the Gamme 54 seem so similar that I assumed the Ousland would have the same issue, but maybe not? I certainly would value the additional stability of the Ousland in the BC!
Stefan

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:16 am

I used to work in a XC center, grooming the trails every morning before dawn. The thing about tracks is that there is no width standard for recreational use... So one pair of skis might fit somewhere, and they might scrape the sides in another XC center... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:27 pm

estebao wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 pm
Thanks Johnny, that sounds really good about the MR48s! Somebody wrote on this forum that the Gamme 54 was scraping on the sides of the track. The dimensions of the Ousland and the Gamme 54 seem so similar that I assumed the Ousland would have the same issue, but maybe not? I certainly would value the additional stability of the Ousland in the BC!
Stefan
Have you consider the Finnmark 54? There is no steel edge on that ski so I am pretty sure it would make a big difference on tracks considering how large (could not find the right word to explain how the metal edges make Asnes ski somehow larger :cry: ) they are on Asnes skis. If you don't really need the metal edges it could be a good compromise...

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:16 am
I used to work in a XC center, grooming the trails every morning before dawn. The thing about tracks is that there is no width standard for recreational use... So one pair of skis might fit somewhere, and they might scrape the sides in another XC center... 8-)
The Gamme's pretty much scrape everywhere.

The 66mm E-99's that I have only scrape some places.

I think the OP needs to decide: What is more important? In track performance and not scraping, or outtabounds stuff? Where will the most disappointment be if the ski does not do what you would like it to do? Choose with that parameter.

Never try to solve all your problems. Try to solve 85% of them, and adapt for the rest.

estebao

Post by estebao » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I think I will use them a fair amount in tracks and what I will do in the backcountry is pretty "light", so it seems that the MR48s might be the best choice.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi Estebao,
I have been thinking along the same lines as you.
To me, there are some factors other than the ski that also matter. For example: Experience, price, availability, snow conditions where the skis will be used, etc.
I plan to ski in the Rockies, so generally dry snow.
I have done a fair amount of skiing in the past, but will getting back into it after being away for quite a while.
I’m in the USA, so availability is limited.
My skiing in the past was on light wood touring skis, and I was happy with that one pair of skis in most conditions.
I did a lot of reading and research on what is currently available before buying any XC ski equipment.
When I was ready to buy, I got lucky and found a pair of Mountain Race 48s (waxable) in my length (210 — would have liked 215 or 220!) on 30% off sale. Score!
They look and feel like very nice skis and I am really looking forward to trying them out.
I also wanted to get my wife, who will be new to XC, a set of skis.
I found a pair of Gamme 54s (wax) on 30% off sale and got those for her.
I think this is the widest ski that will fit in a groomed track.
I wanted her to have a ski that would fit in the track, but also be as stable as possible in untracked snow.

I would like to have another ski for untracked snow, and have been thinking of the Nansen, or Ingstad.

If you truly plan to do 50/50 track/backcountry, and if you can find them, it seems like the Ousland might be a nice ski.
At 66mm, the tips are 2mm narrower than the Gamme and might work ok in the track and give you more support in untracked backcountry snow. Maybe a better compromise than the Mountain Race 48? Maybe someone here can or has confirmed that the Ousland skis ok in the track?
Good luck in your ski search!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:50 am

Stephen wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:17 pm

I found a pair of Gamme 54s (wax) on 30% off sale and got those for her.
I think this is the widest ski that will fit in a groomed track.
I wanted her to have a ski that would fit in the track, but also be as stable as possible in untracked snow.

The Gamme nominally fits in a track, with scraping on the 68mm shovels. As I rule I do not ski my Gammes in tracks, it's grabby and slow. IF the track is older and skied out it will be better.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi Woodserson,
In my post, I almost put quotes around "fit" in a groomed track.
Yeah, I don't picture skiing well maintained tracks that much (but who knows).
I was thinking we might end up on more informal or less maintained tracks that would have more clearance.
Worst case, I could just take a belt sander to the sides of the tips to make them fit!
Just kidding, of course...