Covid vaccines

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Covid vaccines

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 pm

It appears 2 of these will be coming online soon.
There's a good YT channel where the doctor explains the M.O. of these and the trial process.

Pfizer/Biontech:

Starts at about 2:30

Moderna:

Montana St Alum

Re: Covid vaccines

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 am

Many of us are older and at higher risk of, well, everything (except maybe being shot by an enraged husband!) and many of us don't want to be genetically engineered (I do, but that's a seperate issue).

This is a discussion of questions surrounding the 2 mRNA vaccines we currently have and safety/efficacy issues.

The question of "what would you tell you family to do?" is covered at time 29:03

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I'm in the 3rd group where i live. Old but not quite old enough. We plan to get the first vac. available, Phizer, and will continue to wear masks in public for the duration.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 pm

My daughter is an OR nurse and got her shot on Friday. Very sore arm 12 hours later with some "flu-like" symptoms, but no fever. Then she was over it.

It sounded very similar to the first of the two Shingrix shots, if you've gotten that.

paul

Post by paul » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 pm
My daughter is an OR nurse and got her shot on Friday. Very sore arm 12 hours later with some "flu-like" symptoms, but no fever. Then she was over it.

It sounded very similar to the first of the two Shingrix shots, if you've gotten that.
:o :o :o :o Not in person but just run into a very very similar case. Thanks for sharing it

paul

Post by paul » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:08 pm

wooley12 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:24 pm
I'm in the 3rd group where i live. Old but not quite old enough. We plan to get the first vac. available, Phizer, and will continue to wear masks in public for the duration.
I had an interesting conversation with a no vax this week. I tried to let him understand that if he exposes himself to the virus without the vax he won't put just himself in danger. Indeed he will put in danger the rest of the people that can't take the vax until next year or later this year. We can't choose when we will be eligible for the vax. So we could be still exposed. We need to be careful!

So I need to say thank you to you Wooley12 and thank you to all the responsible persons that choose to take the vax. That's for you: https://www.leavingcard.com/gb/viewpdf/ ... 14574.pdf

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am

In the U.S. if you are eligible for VA medical benefits, they are scheduling vaccinations for those 65 and older. A friend who is 66 already has his scheduled for next week with #2 for mid March.

Just call your local VA.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm grateful that research is coming through. But how many people want to take a vaccine that's been approved under emergency conditions, and how many would rather wait to take a vaccine that is approved under normal SOP's, due diligence, etc?

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 pm

"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:13 am

Vitamin D is what you could call "low hanging fruit". Something you need anyway, is relatively safe, and may (probably does, in fact) improve outcomes. My wife and I have been taking about 3000 iu/day for about 6 months. Going up the scale of "low hanging fruit" you can take other supplements that also have potential.

If you wanted to titrate dosages, you can always get a blood test.

As with any virus, COVID takes over reproductive machinery in the cell, in ribosomes. Our ribosomes don't have the capability to replicate RNA (COVID is an RNA virus) so the virus supplies an "RNA dependent RNA polymerase" to do the job. Interestingly zinc ions tend to bind at a specific point on this molecule - I think at the uracil base - and cause a "dick skin in the zipper" effect, blocking replication.

But, you have to get zinc into cells. There are four compounds, among many, that are good at this. Ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, Quercetin and EGCG are all good zinc ionophores. They dramatically increase the rate at which zinc can enter a cell. Quercetin and EGCG are both supplements available on the open market. EGCG is just green tea extract and has no toxic dose. It also is a good antioxidant. You can safely take up to 40mg of zinc per day + either of these to get zinc into the cell. The degree to which that helps is open to debate.

BTW, I've cleared these supplements with MY doctor for MY use. Everyone is different and should do the same, in case it's contraindicated for you!

Another supplement has been shown to greatly reduce upper respiratory distress in Flu patients. It's also good for your liver and in fact is used to treat Tylenol overdoses - liver damage. N-Acytelcysteine. It's also available as a supplement without a prescription.

COVID is a virus that attacks small capillaries causing disseminated vascular coagulation. Many of the symptoms, long term effects and deaths seem to be attributable to this effect. The virus attaches to ACE2 proteins on cell membranes (ACE2 is a protein involved in regulating blood pressure. Dysregulation of this is one reason why hypertension is a comorbidity in the disease.)

The cells in the vascular system have large concentrations of this enzyme, as you'd expect, and as such have lots of binding spots for COVID. This causes cell damage and increases oxidative stress tremendously. NAC (N-acetylcisteine) is a powerful antioxidant, reducing that oxidative stress in the vascular system and thereby reducing damage. Once those cells are damaged, they release VWF (Von Willebrand Factor) Into the blood stream. If you have a mountain bike and run tubeless, you probably use something like Orange Seal. It works the same way to plug holes. VWF is a chain molecule that gums up the works, so to speak, causing coagulation and thrombosis if uncontrolled. That seems to be the theoretical mechanism behind seemingly random organ failure, lungs, kidneys, stroke symptoms and the like. A baby aspirin a day doesn't hurt, but that targets platelet activity, not VWF.

Anyway, bottom line, lots of things can help on the periphery of what is determined to be effective in a peer reviewed study. Just because researchers say it doesn't work doesn't mean that it won't have some beneficial effect on an individual. It just means that in large statistical studies it falls short. The target is 95% certainty. If it's 85% certain, it's discarded as invalid. Vitamin D is one of those things. Can't hurt, probably helps.

Also, I completely understand the concerns with these vaccines. My wife is of a similar mind and insisted that I be the "canary in a coal mine". I got my first vaccine Friday. Things like vitamin D can really help with a good outcome, but this disease is pretty unpredictable. The vascular problems and the possibility of long term effects aren't necessarily reduced by supplements. It's just a roll of the dice either way. Based on that, it seems to me that getting the vaccine when available is the right decision, generally.