The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:14 pm

havuja wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:10 pm
riel,
I agree 100% with the need of longer and stronger fishscales on double camber åsnes skis.
I have Finnmark WL 210cm, and they don't have decent grip even for flats. Yes, I know they are intented fo a heavier skier than me (80kg),and I was not expecting much, but I have other waxless skis with higher/stiffer camber, poor worn out pattern, that still grip much better. Even with 10kg backpack and super focused kick I'm loosing way too much of the force on each kick slipping backwards. I have tested them in every possible below freezing conditions, not yet above.
I'm very disappoined with my purchase, they are now just for pulling a pulk with kicker skins. Should have gone for wax, but was too excited finally to get a ski for multi-day tours that had kicker skin option for pulling a pulk, and a waxless pattern that would work for flat ice fishing tours from the camp or coming down from an evening fjell -tour, all without having to remove wax from skis before putting skins back on.

Crister @Åsn@Åsnes1922
Hello, is it true that Tindan is soon discontinued? I'm waiting for Xplore system to use it with a wider more downhill oriented ski, and Tindan is one option in my books. Nosi would be nice, but why not make it 190 or 195cm? I just can't stand plastic boots (flat feet and plenty of touring for turns) and need a ski other than finnish forest ski that would somewhat carry me in powder. At the moment we have only two feet of snow, but it is so soft that any other ski I own is impossible (really, hitting the very bottom) to get anywhere with in forested valleys. Up in the fjells snow is more variable. Do you think that Xplore system could drive a wide ski in these conditions? Probably powder, but how about variable? From my experience I would guess that if it is even a bit more supportive than a 75 cable with decent leather boot it will do the job, but could it be...?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:35 pm

So- my intial questions from browsing the 2021 Asnes Catalogue-

#1:
Why is there a photo of skiers using AT equipment on the "Overview Nordic BC Skis"? ;) :ugeek:

#2:
Amundsen BC has a new topsheet- same ski as last year?

#3:
Sverdrup BC-
Very interesting ski-
- ~same sidecut profile as the Nansen
- Nordic rockered and tapered tip
- "more prominant camber and wax-pocket than most of our other all-around bc skis"

So totally different ski than the Nansen and the Ingstad...

@@Åsnes1922 Crister- can you give us comparison/contrast between the Nansen/Ingstad/Sverdrup?

#4:
Is the Line Sverrup BC identical to the Otto other than the topsheet?

#5:
Considering #4↑ are all of the "women's" Nordic touring skis (e.g. Liv/Cecile/Line/Tonje) the same ski as their "men's" equivalents (i.e. Amundsen/Nansen/Otto/Ingstad)?

#6:
I second Roleant's question about the redesigned FT62- what are the changes?

#7:
Redesigned Rabb68?! Very interested. Tell us more!

#8:
Is the Kongsvold the same ski with a new topsheet?

#9:
I echo the other quesitons about the Tindan...Gone- or being redesigned?

Gareth

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:35 pm
So- my intial questions from browsing the 2021 Asnes Catalogue-

#1:
Why is there a photo of skiers using AT equipment on the "Overview Nordic BC Skis"? ;) :ugeek:

#2:
Amundsen BC has a new topsheet- same ski as last year?

#3:
Sverdrup BC-
Very interesting ski-
- ~same sidecut profile as the Nansen
- Nordic rockered and tapered tip
- "more prominant camber and wax-pocket than most of our other all-around bc skis"

So totally different ski than the Nansen and the Ingstad...

@@Åsnes1922 Crister- can you give us comparison/contrast between the Nansen/Ingstad/Sverdrup?

#4:
Is the Line Sverrup BC identical to the Otto other than the topsheet?

#5:
Considering #4↑ are all of the "women's" Nordic touring skis (e.g. Liv/Cecile/Line/Tonje) the same ski as their "men's" equivalents (i.e. Amundsen/Nansen/Otto/Ingstad)?

#6:
I second Roleant's question about the redesigned FT62- what are the changes?

#7:
Redesigned Rabb68?! Very interested. Tell us more!

#8:
Is the Kongsvold the same ski with a new topsheet?

#9:
I echo the other quesitons about the Tindan...Gone- or being redesigned?

Gareth
#1: It is what it is.

#2: Amundsen BC is still the same, and probably always will be! Just with a new graphics.

#3:
The new Sverdrup set has been in the works for some time. While the Nansen and Cecilie skis are really forgiving and easy to turn, they have had a limited XC-performance and have probably been too soft for many individuals.
It's basically a redesigned Nansen/Cecilie, with a better wax pocket, more stiffness underfoot, and a camber more like the Børge Ousland BC and Gamme 54 BC skis. On the other hand, we wanted it to be as playful (or even more) as the Nansen/Cecilie skis, so we added more sidecut, a generous Nordic Rocker (similar as in Børge and Ingstad), as well as Taper.

The changes we made, are basically something the market (and you) have been asking for. And now the time was right to introduce this new model with the added benefits. The Sverdrup with even more playful than the Nansen/Cecilie, turns easier and has way better XC-performance. You may call it a downscaled Ingstad/Falketind with more camber and flex if you like. Or at least, something along those lines.

#4/5: Yes. Otto and Line is the same ski. Line just comes in some shorter lengths. It's the same as with the Liv/Amundsen, Cecilie/Nansen, and Tonje/Ingstad.

#6/7:
The new Falketind 62 will get a few small updates. It will be reinforced in the binding zone, a bit stiffer underfoot, and tuned to perform even better than before. It has been the No.1 ski we have tested the Xplore concept on, so we have tuned it to perform even better downhill. And, we added a bit more flex and a higher camber/wax pocket for better kick and glide. Other than that, there are no "major" changes.

We have done the same with the Rabb 68 and added a directional groove in the sole on the Rabb 68 too. Meaning, you'll get more touring capacity in that model as well. But, we also "beefed" it up a bit, so that it skis even better on edge and charges better. I have skied it quite a lot with a light AT-setup lately, and I actually skied some downhill and gates with it. It performs really well, even at higher speeds! Super lightweight, but skis like a carving ski and handles powder really well.

#8: Yes, Kongsvold is the same ski. Just with a new and nicer(?) design.

#9: Yes, as of now the Tindan will be discontinued. We sold out almost every single ski this season, so we figured we would use the opportunity to develop new skis. We're working on a new touring lineup, so at the moment I'm, working on new shapes and designs. I'm sure you will be happy with the result when we finish this project. Fjøro 92 stays, with some new tuning and small changes (softer tail, more rocker and more "pop", a small tweak on the tip - but the same shape). We haven't sold enough of the Tindan ski, so it made sense to start the development of a new line with AT skis, eventually replacing both the Tindan and Fjøro 92 ski when the time comes.

We will keep the Nosi 76, but we have softened the tail, reinforced it a bit, and moved the recommended boot center. It has been a good ski, but now it's great! The Nosi will continue for the foreseeable future.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 am

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am
#6/7:
The new Falketind 62 will get a few small updates. It will be reinforced in the binding zone, a bit stiffer underfoot, and tuned to perform even better than before. It has been the No.1 ski we have tested the Xplore concept on, so we have tuned it to perform even better downhill. And, we added a bit more flex and a higher camber/wax pocket for better kick and glide. Other than that, there are no "major" changes.

We have done the same with the Rabb 68 and added a directional groove in the sole on the Rabb 68 too. Meaning, you'll get more touring capacity in that model as well. But, we also "beefed" it up a bit, so that it skis even better on edge and charges better. I have skied it quite a lot with a light AT-setup lately, and I actually skied some downhill and gates with it. It performs really well, even at higher speeds! Super lightweight, but skis like a carving ski and handles powder really well.

#8: Yes, Kongsvold is the same ski. Just with a new and nicer(?) design
Thanks Crister! My main grip with the Rabb compared to the FT was how it performed to get to the turns while touring for turns. The lack of groove was making a big difference and also they felt softer underfoot. You have the chance to ski the new Rabb so how does it compare to the « old » FT (the green one)? I really appreciate the wider underfoot of the Rabb but I did not use them much compared to the FT as they were so much harder to ski on flat and rolling terrains when I had to get on a longer tour to get to the turns. But in the end, maybe they are nit really designed to ski longer distance in that kind of terrain??? So does the new design really result in a quite different Rabb? In a private conversation, LilCliffy suggested that with those changes, the new Rabbs reminds him of the Storerind. What do you think?

The Kongsvold. There is not much information on this ski from users in this forum. We are intrigued about it. How does it compare to skis like the FT and the Rabb? They come in longer length. Wider underfoot than the FT but similar tip size. It is designed to be used in deeper snow but how do they perform on harder snow if you have to go through sections with not so soft snow? Could it be an interesting choice for a tour for turn ski on a terrain with lots of flats and rolling terrain and low elevation hills for turns? Just asking because I can hardly see myself buying a ski with a dog on it ;)

And the Sverdrup. I am just trying to figure out this ski... So it has better XC performance than the Nansen which I think had better general XC performance than the Ingstad (except for deeper snow I guess...). It has similar rocker to Ingstad... the rocker of the Ingstad really affect its performance on "not so soft" snow... is it the same for the Sverdrup or it is designed to still do good on "not so soft" snow? I have skied with someone using the Nansen on steep narrow trail with the Nansen and he was doing great. Would it be even better than the Nansen in those conditions? If so, we should all ditch our Ingstad and Nansen and get the Sverdrup :o

By the way, @bgregoire dont worry about me and the AGAS fever... i am just asking Crister for the benefits of others on the forum as I am done buying skis 8-)

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 am
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am
#6/7:

#8: Yes, Kongsvold is the same ski. Just with a new and nicer(?) design
Thanks Crister! My main grip with the Rabb compared to the FT was how it performed to get to the turns while touring for turns. The lack of groove was making a big difference and also they felt softer underfoot. You have the chance to ski the new Rabb so how does it compare to the « old » FT (the green one)? I really appreciate the wider underfoot of the Rabb but I did not use them much compared to the FT as they were so much harder to ski on flat and rolling terrains when I had to get on a longer tour to get to the turns. But in the end, maybe they are nit really designed to ski longer distance in that kind of terrain??? So does the new design really result in a quite different Rabb? In a private conversation, LilCliffy suggested that with those changes, the new Rabbs reminds him of the Storerind. What do you think?

The Kongsvold. There is not much information on this ski from users in this forum. We are intrigued about it. How does it compare to skis like the FT and the Rabb? They come in longer length. Wider underfoot than the FT but similar tip size. It is designed to be used in deeper snow but how do they perform on harder snow if you have to go through sections with not so soft snow? Could it be an interesting choice for a tour for turn ski on a terrain with lots of flats and rolling terrain and low elevation hills for turns? Just asking because I can hardly see myself buying a ski with a dog on it ;)

And the Sverdrup. I am just trying to figure out this ski... So it has better XC performance than the Nansen which I think had better general XC performance than the Ingstad (except for deeper snow I guess...). It has similar rocker to Ingstad... the rocker of the Ingstad really affect its performance on "not so soft" snow... is it the same for the Sverdrup or it is designed to still do good on "not so soft" snow? I have skied with someone using the Nansen on steep narrow trail with the Nansen and he was doing great. Would it be even better than the Nansen in those conditions? If so, we should all ditch our Ingstad and Nansen and get the Sverdrup :o

By the way, @bgregoire dont worry about me and the AGAS fever... i am just asking Crister for the benefits of others on the forum as I am done buying skis 8-)
Sure thing, I have skied the new skis. I kinda have to!

The new Rabb 68 will still be "softer" underfoot than the Falketind 62, but both of them will get a higher and longer flex curve, a bit more of camber, and a bit higher/longer pocket.
The Rabb 68 will still be more "downhill oriented" than the Falketind 62, so it's still more of a hybrid compromise between a Nordic BC ski and a full-on AT ski. The good news is that both of the skis will be more playful, better on harder conditions, and get a tiny bit better in terms of XC performance.

Falketind 62 Xplore is the ski you choose for the longer outings, while still not scarifying too much on the descent. Rabb 68 on the other hand, is the ski you choose to get more stability, playfulness, and downhill capabilities without it being at the expense of too much stride, glide, and low weight. If that makes sense?`

I short words, go for the Falketind if you plan to travel in various terrain and do longer approaches. Or, choose the Rabb 68 if you do more deep snow or want to earn your turns in a more Alpine Touring kind of way.

I absolutely love the Kongsvold ski! I have dogs, so in my recreational time, this is a ski I use very much. Both the Breidablikk (steel-less Ingstad) and the Kongsold are the two most used skis in my Nordic BC quiver because I have a dog. Other than that, I have used the Falketind 62 very much, as I have told you guys earlier. But with the new Xplore concept, I believe I will use the Rabb 68 even more as I want to carve and charge more.

In my mind, the Kongsvol shape is really good. It has a lot of similarities to the Falketind and Rabb skis. The shape and sidecut are more in line with the Rabb 68, but because it does not have steel edges the tips are softer and it is very easy to turn, surf and skid around on. It's a really forgiving telemark ski, especially on softer conditions. The Kongsvold is also stiff and stable underfoot, so it's quite responsive. But on the other hand, it does not have steel edges, so when it gets icy it's a pain to ski... But in softer and deeper snow, it's amazing! I consider it kinda like a Rabb 68 without steel edges, as it has very little/pretty flat camber. But, if you want an easygoing telemark ski for softer conditions - go for it!

As for the Sverdup:
I would disagree. I think the Ingstad has better overall XC performance than the Nansen. The Nansen is too soft, in my/our opinion. That is also the feedback in general from most of our customers. Especially in variated conditions.

I believe most of you will feel that the Sverdrup will perform well on harder conditions, because of more camber (makes the edge dig in further when skied properly) and because of the generous sidecut. I still think the Ingstad performs really well on hardpack, but the Sverdrup will probably feel more intuitive and easy on harder snow for most skiers.

With rocker, your tips will float up in powder and crud. The feel is smooth and just like when you surf, wakeboard or waterski, rocker helps you to stay buoyant and on top of the snow. On skis, there's no need to do all that ridiculous bouncing and leaning back to keep your tips from going under. Rocker brings the tip and tail up and off the snow, shortening the contact length of the edges and making turns easier. Your ride becomes more nimble and maneuverable, allowing you to pivot and "slarve" without catching edges. You can slash the snow, slide sideways to scrub speed, smear, and butter turns. The increased mobility works great when you are in the trees or tight chutes. On most conditions, the Nordic Rocker will be an advantage.

I believe the reason your friend does well with the Nansen, is because it is really forgiving and has really soft tips and tails. This kinda works the same way a Rocker does, as it's making the ski easier to initiate on turn/edge, and also makes the ski very forgiving and light to smear and pivot. We've kept most of this in the Sverdrup too, but added more camber as described, as well as Nordic Rocker and Taper.

The reduction of width in the tip, tail, or both ends of a ski is referred to as taper. Because rockered skis generally have a shortened effective edge length, they’re often built with tapered extremities. Having a shorter edge negates the need to have the widest point of the ski be in the very tip or tail. Tapering helps avoid hooking in deep snow, crud, sastrugi and helps give a bit of volume.

With this said, the main advantage with the Sverdup will be more edge hold on harder conditions, as well as a more directional ski in terms of XC performance. The flex pattern, pocket and camber also allows for more carrying capacity in deeper snow (like the Amundsen, Børge Ousland and Gamme), while the soft tips give you many of the same characteristics as in the Nansen/Cecilie. Also, the Nordic Rocker and Taper will give you a more forgiving ski that can handle a bigger variety of conditions. I've always said that the Ingstad and Gamme have been the two most versatile skis in our collection (where the Gamme is the most versatile ski that fits in tracks, and Ingstad has been the most versatile ski for off-track use). The Sverdrup will place itself somewhere in the middle. So we now have 3 different, very versatile skis!

As many know, the Nansen is based on the old classic Nordic Telemark skis, and it has always been "the classic telemarkski for most skiers". It has been a ski you basically never can go wrong with, but it has had it's advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, the new Sverdup ski makes up for many of the lacks in the Nansen/Cecile ski, but still feels like fun to ski. I'm not saying it's going to replace the Nansen/Cecile, but it will be suitable for those thinking that the Nansen/Cecile is too soft and lacks XC Performance.

I still believe a lot of skiers will enjoy the Nansen/Cecilie as a telemark ski, but I think the Sverdrup covers more ground and is a bit mot versatile.

The way I see it:

Choose the Gamme 54 BC/Børge Ousland BC if you want a good, directional and effective ski that handles most conditions. Focusing on good flex, XC performance and a ski to use in tracks. I would say, for 60-70% flats and 30-40% downhill.

Go for the Nansen/Cecilie if you want a soft, forgiving telemark ski that is easygoing, always provides good grip (as it's soft), and turns easy. This is also a good ski to learn on, evolve, and as a "beginner" ski.

If you want a really good, modern, all-round Nordic BC ski, go for the Sverdup. It's a bit more versatile than the Nansen/Cecilie. It will be better for longer off-track adventures and have better XC performance than the Nansen/Cecilie. It also handles icy conditions better. I would say for 50/50% flats, downhill.

If you want a really stable, solid ski for telemark, steeper terrain, and more downhill skiing - go for the Ingstad/Combat Nato/Beidablikk. You will still keep most of the Nordic BC feeling and the XC performance, but you will get a stiffer, more stable, and solid ski underfoot. For 60% downhill and 30-40% flats.

If you want to earn your turns, go for either the Falketind 62 or the Rabb 68 (possibly the Kongsvold?).
Falketind 62 Xplore is the ski you choose for the longer outings, while still not scarifying too much on the descent. Rabb 68 on the other hand, is the ski you choose to get more stability, playfulness, and downhill capabilities without it being at the expense of stride, glide, and low weight.

Falketind (60-70% downhill, 30-40% flats), Rabb 68 (70-80%downhill and 20-30% flats).

Makes sense, I tried to keep it simple and to the point?
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am

It made sense to me. After wondering which Asnes ski I should get I think the Rabb 68 fits the type of skiing I like most.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:56 am

“Makes sense, I tried to keep it simple and to the point?”

Yup, simple and to the point. What I got out of this...

1). Get another Thule rooftop carrier for the right side of my Jeep.

2). Buy all the aforementioned skis :)

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 am
I absolutely love the Kongsvold ski! I have dogs, so in my recreational time, this is a ski I use very much. Both the Breidablikk (steel-less Ingstad) and the Kongsold are the two most used skis in my Nordic BC quiver because I have a dog.
Thoughts on XPLORE on a more XC oriented ski such as breidablikk?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:56 am
“Makes sense, I tried to keep it simple and to the point?”

Yup, simple and to the point. What I got out of this...

1). Get another Thule rooftop carrier for the right side of my Jeep.

2). Buy all the aforementioned skis :)
3. Not having any money left to actually use those skis :?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm

WOW.
The photo on the cover of the 2021 Asnes Catalogue is breath-taking!

Thank you for all of the great information Crister!

The Sverdrup ski is very interesting-
The elusive "50/50" xc/d- XC ski!
Many have tried to get this right-
The Fischer Rebound/Atomic Rainier-
The Fischer E-109 Xtralite-
(to name a couple of attempts).

The updated Rabb 68. Your description Crister reminds me of my Storetind Carbon, but it sounds like the Rabb is less cambered and perhaps easier to pressure than the Storetind...

@@Åsnes1922 I am wondering if you could give us your perspective on the Rabb 68 vs Nosi 76? Why choose one over the other?