Ski Review: 2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Hunttr
Ski style: Classic
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: Ski Review: 2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Post by Hunttr » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 pm

Are you concerned that- at your weight- the 210cm will not offer an effective "wax pocket" or are you concerned about other things- for example flotation?
Gareth
[/quote]
Lilcliffy, yes it is the effective "wax pocket" that I was concerned about with my wt.(215lbs).Your discription about how the effective "wax pocket" should function in the backcountry makes perfect sense and is just the type of helpfull info I was hoping to find.I Thank You.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 am

I ski the Gamme in 210cm.
Just for kicks, I tried my wife’s 180s (with 30mm mohair X-Skins, to boot).
I was surprised at how well they skied (I was 15 pounds lighter, without my pack).
They sure turned easy!
:D
My point being that even if one is a bit heavy for the ski, it may still be acceptable.
By the chart, I could be on a 200cm Gamme, so the 180cm is two or even three sizes too short for me and still skied “ok.”
(This was on consolidated snow, not deep or fresh snow.)

FWIW

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:50 am

FYI-
I get the impression that Gamme the Elder might like the original Gamme 54 better than the redesign: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... s-gamme-54
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 pm

Not a subscriber... what does he say exactly?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:17 pm

@Musk Ox
Well-

- he scores the new Gamme 54 a 6/10- by comparison he scores the E99 Tour/Crown an 8/10 (though he says that the E99 suffers from "low load capacity") and the Madshus M55 a 7/10; and the Ousland a 9/10 ("best in test").

- he says "On both uphills and downhill runs, we struggle more with this ski than its predecessor"- comparing the current Gamme 54 to the first-generation.

- he says that it is too stiff over its length- especially in the tail- to turn it smoothly- though he acknowledges that it has "good bearing capacity".

I get the impression that he is looking for much better downhill performance than the Amundsen with this ski and has found it wanting.

His review of the Ousland surprised me- nothing but praise- couldn't even come up with a "Minus".

It will be VERY interesting to see where he scores the new Sverdrup ski- from me reading his reviews I am thinking that the Sverdrup- if Asnes nails it- is exactly what he is looking for-
A "Nansen" with better XC performance, that does not comprimise downhill turning...
Regardless- he is looking for something different in the Gamme than I am...
However- if I had an Amundsen and/or an Ousland maybe I would find the Gamme pointless?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:17 pm

However- if I had an Amundsen and/or an Ousland maybe I would find the Gamme pointless?
Probably. The Gamme keeps you from having a long distance ski, and a turning ski, compromising on both. I will say I find it to be a superlative long distance ski but a shitty turning ski, (hence my Ingstad). But I bet the Ousland turns more similarly to the Gamme than it would the Ingstad. I think a Gamme/Ingstad mix is the ticket, especially for northeast terrain and snow (weird snow, not miles of wind-buffed flats)

Time to shake up the quiver? I say no.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:17 pm
n't even come up with a "Minus".

It will be VERY interesting to see where he scores the new Sverdrup ski- from me reading his reviews I am thinking that the Sverdrup- if Asnes nails it- is exactly what he is looking for-
A "Nansen" with better XC performance, that does not comprimise downhill turning...
Time to close the Gamme vs Nansen thread if they do. I'm selling everything and buying three pairs of Ottos.
wooderson wrote: I think a Gamme/Ingstad mix is the ticket, especially for northeast terrain and snow (weird snow, not miles
I'm slightly regretting not doing this myself. I do love my Nansens, and for where I am it makes great sense, but a Gamme/ Ingstad combination might have extended possibilities a wee bit

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:59 am

One of the listed downsides for the Gamme in this comparison is "glipper lett" - loses traction easily.
This could be subjective and also depends on the skier weight and the compared length. Perhaps he would have been better served with a slightly shorter ski.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am
wooderson wrote: I think a Gamme/Ingstad mix is the ticket, especially for northeast terrain and snow (weird snow, not miles
I'm slightly regretting not doing this myself. I do love my Nansens, and for where I am it makes great sense, but a Gamme/ Ingstad combination might have extended possibilities a wee bit
I'll be honest, as a lighter skier, my Nansens saw more use this year and than either the Gamme or Ingstad combined.

The Nansen is the do-it-all ski. It got some crap from Crister for being soft and "beginner ski" and so on, but damn if it is not the most enjoyable ski I have. Never had grip issues, or glide issues. It wasn't the fastest ski, but it was the most dependable if I didn't know what the conditions were going to be like beforehand-- going somewhere with variable terrain/snow.

The Nansen is my ticket going forward, without a doubt! No regrets. I could lose the Gamme and Ingstad and still be happy.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 am

From the photos I see, Norway may just be an XCD touring paradise! I don’t see the thick woods of eastern North America. While I love the thick eastern woodlands, open terrain is easier to ski. If I was skiing Norway downhill turning performance would be more important than it is in my mostly trail skiing. Some of my trails have banked turns, carved by mountain bikes! For my use the Gamme is fast, maneuverable, efficient, and fun.
If I was skiing in Norway, I would want something much more downhill oriented ski.