Ski Review: 2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Ski Review: 2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am
wooderson wrote: I think a Gamme/Ingstad mix is the ticket, especially for northeast terrain and snow (weird snow, not miles
I'm slightly regretting not doing this myself. I do love my Nansens, and for where I am it makes great sense, but a Gamme/ Ingstad combination might have extended possibilities a wee bit
The Nansen is the do-it-all ski. It got some crap from Crister for being soft and "beginner ski" and so on, but damn if it is not the most enjoyable ski I have. Never had grip issues, or glide issues. It wasn't the fastest ski, but it was the most dependable if I didn't know what the conditions were going to be like beforehand-- going somewhere with variable terrain/snow.
Yes, exactly this! The Nansens when I didn’t know what to expect. Now I feel like I have to go and give them an apologetic fondle having cast aspersions on them in a public place.

Hopefully just a little more skiing to be done this easter… just… a little more…

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am
wooderson wrote: I think a Gamme/Ingstad mix is the ticket, especially for northeast terrain and snow (weird snow, not miles
I'm slightly regretting not doing this myself. I do love my Nansens, and for where I am it makes great sense, but a Gamme/ Ingstad combination might have extended possibilities a wee bit
I'll be honest, as a lighter skier, my Nansens saw more use this year and than either the Gamme or Ingstad combined.

The Nansen is the do-it-all ski. It got some crap from Crister for being soft and "beginner ski" and so on, but damn if it is not the most enjoyable ski I have. Never had grip issues, or glide issues. It wasn't the fastest ski, but it was the most dependable if I didn't know what the conditions were going to be like beforehand-- going somewhere with variable terrain/snow.

The Nansen is my ticket going forward, without a doubt! No regrets. I could lose the Gamme and Ingstad and still be happy.
These are interesting comments.
So many ways to slice and dice all the options, and so many different skiing scenarios.

I also settled on the Gamme / Ingstad combo (along with Objective BC).
Sometimes it’s a challenge to decide what to ski.
One day I went out on the Objectives and wished I had chosen Gammes.
The very next day went out on Gamme, and thought I might have had more fun on Objectives.

I was feeling pretty good about the Gammes, but hearing all the real world on Nansen has me wondering.
And then there has been enough crappy snow this year, that I’m thinking a Traverse 78 might be nice to have for the ease of dealing with variable snow conditions. But maybe a waxless Nansen would do the trick?

And then there is the Otto — wonder how that will shake thinks up?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Stephen wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm

And then there has been enough crappy snow this year, that I’m thinking a Traverse 78 might be nice to have for the ease of dealing with variable snow conditions. But maybe a waxless Nansen would do the trick?

No. Get the Traverse instead of the Nansen WL.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm
Stephen wrote:

No. Get the Traverse instead of the Nansen WL.
As the owner of a WL Nansen, I agree with the "No". I also much prefer the Fischer WL pattern. And I would trade them for WL E99 Crowns, Traverse 78s or E88s any day if I really needed a waxless ski.
The Nansen Waxless overall worked for me this winter as skis, but I was only happy with the grip when I combined it with grip wax in front of the patterned zone, or when I mounted a skin. Basically when using them as waxable skis, paradoxically.
The one good thing is that the waxless pattern always provided some grip. So when the extra grip wax in front of the patterned zone failed, I could stick the skin on to the patterned zone without worrying about messing up my skin glue.
Some skiers here are happy. I think it depends on the snow conditions, on the weight to ski stiffness relationship, how good kick technique is used, and also the absolute weight amount you need to propel up the hill.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:05 pm

I’m so glad there are so many good reviews of the Traverse 78. My wife is late 70’s, a former runner so she has good cardio. Looking to upgrade her XCD skis I first bought her a pair of Rossi BC70’s in a 170, because they were available at MEC. Bad move, she is 100lbs and she was struggling to get grip on relatively moderate slopes. So last year we got a pair of the 169 cm Traverse 78. Night and day, she’s happy as a clam now with good grip where it counts. So I’m a hero :D

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:04 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm
I will say I find it [Gamme 54] to be a superlative long distance ski but a shitty turning ski.
Yes- agree. A ski that is longeitudinaly rigid- maximizing stability, glide efficiency, and load-bearing capacity is not going to resist bending into a curve- period. I don't own the Gamme 54 for its curves.
But I bet the Ousland turns more similarly to the Gamme than it would the Ingstad.
I would think you are right here and considering what I want the Gamme for- I still don't think I want all of that tip rocker on a XC-focused ski for my local terrain and snow conditions.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 am

Roelant wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:59 am
One of the listed downsides for the Gamme in this comparison is "glipper lett" - loses traction easily.
This could be subjective and also depends on the skier weight and the compared length. Perhaps he would have been better served with a slightly shorter ski.
Yes- true.
Also depends on base prep and grip-waxing methods...I haven't had any grip issues with the current- or older- 210cm Gamme- and I weigh less than the tester, Pal Gamme. Perhaps he is using glide wax as his base- rather than grip wax?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 am

fisheater wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 am
From the photos I see, Norway may just be an XCD touring paradise! I don’t see the thick woods of eastern North America.
Fennoscandia is amazingly far North- further North than Labrador!!!
Norway is mountainous- one wouldn't have to climb very high to get above treeline.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 am

Stephen wrote:
And then there is the Otto — wonder how that will shake thinks up?
Asnes' passion for Nordic backcountry skis and skiing is simply amazing and kind-of mindboggling...
Yes- the Otto- what, yet another fjellski!!?!
Though I would love to try this ski- and if they got it right it could become my #1 every-day-out-my-back-door touring ski -
trying to nail a ski that "does-it-all" is a very difficult thing and I would think is fraught with trial and error...

Over the many years I have skied I have often been underwhelmed with "all mountain skis" and "hybrid" "XCD" skis.
I have also seen manufactures constantly redesign these do-it-all skis.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:40 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am
Now I feel like I have to go and give them an apologetic fondle having cast aspersions on them in a public place.
Be careful of broadcasting your objectophilia...
I am quite sure you might be targeted by online Object Rights trolls...
I know it gets lonely in the hills- but what happens in the hills- stays in the hills... ;)