well I've gone and done it now...moving full time to a ski resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

well I've gone and done it now...moving full time to a ski resort

Post by bauerb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:43 pm

yup, buying a house at a ski resort and moving there full time in a couple of months. in the mountains surrounded by trees, but not too far from the interstate so I can still get to the airport, etc. Its not Montana, or Wyoming or Utah, family commitments require that I remain in the East. The place is called Camelback in Pennsylvania....aka The Poconos.
From my deck I can just see the ski trails. the house is not in the "mountain village". as the crow flies, its half a mile to the base lodge, but in a car, its 2 miles.

The housing market is crazy right now and I had to commit to buying the house before I could get there in person to see it. Its not one of those glamorous "ski chalets", but its a very good house. This weekend I made it there in person and am really happy with the choice.

Camelback is the largest ski resort in this general area, but I'm not really moving there because of "awesome snow" or "epic downhill runs". the resort is 4 season and has a great Uphill ski policy. in the summer it means trail running up the resort side, and into a national forrest trail system on the other side. in the winter it means skinning uphill, or tele skiing lift-served on those very rare big snowfall days.

so for me, its not really about moving to a resort for the "Ski life". its a great area to be in regardless of season or outdoor activity. Hell, its a great place to have my home office since I work full time.

years ago I had a hobby of making fancy furniture. this time, I am really looking forward to making all my furniture out of reclaimed amish Barnwood. I am committed to not buying any furniture, I intend to make it all...even if it takes a few years of sitting in folding camp chairs and sleeping on a mattress on the floor. I might even make of of those Adirondack chairs with a back made out of old skis...in Montana I saw an entire deck railing made out of old skis...

I had been thinking about spending the summer in Whitefish...but now I will be at my house making furniture in my spare time, and I am pretty excited about that.

next winter I will get a season pass, and hopefully see some of you there!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: well I've gone and done it now...moving full time to a ski resort

Post by lowangle al » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm

We'll be neighbors, I'm about an hour north of there. I skied there a few times years go and used to sell leather goods there in the summer.

I'm surprised to hear they have an uphill policy, I spoke with someone there during the 2019-2020 season and was told it was not allowed. If that has changed and there is no natural snow I will be there to check it out.

Good luck and hopefully I will see you back there.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm

uphill is allowed, but you need to buy a full pass. they don't have an uphill only...so a little expensive if someone just wants to do a couple of laps. But Blue Mountain and Mountain Creek don't allow uphill at all...so we are lucky with Camelback

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Sounds great!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:44 pm

bauerb wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:43 pm
yup, buying a house at a ski resort and moving there full time in a couple of months.
Thumbs up.png
Congrats; and good luck with closing, moving, and all that jazz.

You're about a year ahead of me. Might let the real estate market settle a little from COVID first, but I am itching for some alpine proximity!!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 pm

I really don't like how hot its getting in so many places at sea level. If I could I'd move to 7,000ft+ I would. I'm moving to 1500ft, which is better than 0...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 pm

bauerb wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm
uphill is allowed, but you need to buy a full pass. they don't have an uphill only...so a little expensive if someone just wants to do a couple of laps. But Blue Mountain and Mountain Creek don't allow uphill at all...so we are lucky with Camelback
Well if you are going to pay for a day at the resort anyway there is nothing wrong with doing a lap or two uphill for some cardio. I also think that at most resorts back there you can pretty easily make it to the top on green runs with scales or kick wax.
bauerb wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 pm
I really don't like how hot its getting in so many places at sea level. If I could I'd move to 7,000ft+ I would. I'm moving to 1500ft, which is better than 0...
My house back there is at 2000 ft and at that far south every hundred feet matters.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

bauerb wrote:
I'm moving to 1500ft, which is better than 0...
Where is 0-feet elevation, New Orleans?

I never previously figured out the elevation at my current residence.
65-feet, according to this site... https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 pm

bauerb wrote:
Dang, now I have to move up the road a bit. My house (second level) is at 6427 ft.....not high enough!

I agree and for me it's mostly an issue of humidity. My early years were along the eastern seaboard which is humid, but at least it's hot in the summer.

I think even 1000 feet helps.

And being near "playgrounds" is great!
I suppose that could even be your favorite bar.

Rainbow83
Ski style: XC racer learning Tele and exploring XCD
Favorite Skis: Current XCD/Tele Quiver includes: USGI Asnes MT65, Fischer Voodoo, K2 Super Stinx
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Post by Rainbow83 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:45 am

Congrats on the new house!! That's gonna be pretty cool to have it furnished entirely with your own handiwork.